I find myself in need of a phone....

13»

Comments

• rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    baldwin471 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    So iPhone 5 just been launched. I'm not very impressed. It looks awful, just a stretched out iPhone 4.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for me :)

Told youuuu! haha. They are putting 2011 technology into a shiny new box and calling it revolutionary, just like they always do. But seriously have a look at the Lumia 920. It is amazing.

I'm still really sceptical of the Windows mobile though. Oh and of Nokia.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    baldwin471 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    So iPhone 5 just been launched. I'm not very impressed. It looks awful, just a stretched out iPhone 4.

Told youuuu! haha. They are putting 2011 technology into a shiny new box and calling it revolutionary, just like they always do. But seriously have a look at the Lumia 920. It is amazing.

I'm still really sceptical of the Windows mobile though. Oh and of Nokia.

Not Windows Mobile, Windows Phone. Two completely different things. WP8 is built on the same architecture as Windows 8. And Nokia aren't they company they used to be. Seriously just try a 920 in store, i guarantee you will like it.
  • rozzer32 wrote:

Couldn't agree more! A stretched iPhone 4/4s, nothing revolutionary whatsoever. I think I'll be waiting until the Galaxy Nexus 2!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I was never going interested in the iPhone 5 and yesterday's reveal shows that Apple has run out of ideas for its phone line.

As for my next phone - I was going for a Galaxy SIII but now I'm going to wait for the Motorola Razr HD (or the Maxx HD) which will be another month or so, so I can compare them.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Daz555 wrote:
    ...but now I'm going to wait for the XXXXXXXXX...
    Don't worry, by the time they're out something better will have been announced, and so on ad infinitum...
  • I'm actually rather looking forward to replacing my HTC Desire with it's scratched screen, blocked headphone socket and senile functionality when my contract is up in February.

I may take the revoltionary step of storing music on it's replacement!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    bompington wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    ...but now I'm going to wait for the XXXXXXXXX...
    Don't worry, by the time they're out something better will have been announced, and so on ad infinitum...
    That is indeed true. But when it is so close I'm happy to wait a little while for something which I will have for the next 2 to 3 years.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919
    doublem_1 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Couldn't agree more! A stretched iPhone 4/4s, nothing revolutionary whatsoever. I think I'll be waiting until the Galaxy Nexus 2!

Agreed! All the new "features" Apple have introduced Samsung had on the Galaxy phones 6 months ago. Think there will be some more legal battles.

I was going to go for the Note 2 as I would quite like the big screen. But Samsung currently have an offer where if you trade in a iPhone 4/4S you get a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 free. So I'm getting the Galaxy S3 then sending off for the free tablet, then I have the best of both worlds and wouldn't need the big size of the Note 2. Switching from Vodafone to Orange as they offered me the best deal which is cheaper than my current plan but gives me more, plus it has the added bonus of being part of the "Everything Everywhere" 4G network.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    doublem_1 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Agreed! All the new "features" Apple have introduced Samsung had on the Galaxy phones 6 months ago. Think there will be some more legal battles.

I was going to go for the Note 2 as I would quite like the big screen. But Samsung currently have an offer where if you trade in a iPhone 4/4S you get a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 free. So I'm getting the Galaxy S3 then sending off for the free tablet, then I have the best of both worlds and wouldn't need the big size of the Note 2. Switching from Vodafone to Orange as they offered me the best deal which is cheaper than my current plan but gives me more, plus it has the added bonus of being part of the "Everything Everywhere" 4G network.

Sounds like you have things sorted!! I am also looking to get a tablet too, maybe the nexus 7 or galaxy tab. Need to have a play with them in a shop first. HMV didn't have the nexus 7 last time I was in one. Want to get away from O2 as well as I like the sound of 4g myself!

Also makes you wonder what Samsung intend to do with the traded in iPhone 4 and 4S's. Do they dance around a pile of them whilst setting them on fire? :lol::lol:
  • I can't wait to see the next Nexus. It'll be between that and the Lumia 920 for my next device. Although i'll probably end up getting both XD
  • teestyke
    teestyke Posts: 7
    I've currently got a BB Bold (9780 I think - it doesn't have a touchscreen).
    I use my phone mostly for text, e-mails and some light i'net use (posing stuff on FB, fixtures/results, forums etc - mostly stuff to read as opposed to watch). Oh, and I do make some calls on it lol!! Keyboard is great (I really don't like touchscreen keyboards) and camera, screen, i'net access are all ok (I don't use many apps - FB, Linkdin, Endomondo etc).
    I am due an upgrade so I was thinking 'Bold 9900'. Cheaper than I-phone 5 (but not quite as cheap as a Galaxy S3). It does everything I need and I'm familiar and happy with the way my previous Blackberrys have operated. (And I think it looks and feels great).
    I thought I'd come on here to check what others thought. When I found this thread I was surprised that no-one has mentioned a Blackberry of any sort.
    I'm not exactly tech savvy so can someone tell me why a Bold 9900 hasn't been mentioned at all? Is a Galaxy S3 really that much better than a Bold (particularly for a light user like myself)?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    teestyke wrote:
    Is a Galaxy S3 really that much better than a Bold (particularly for a light user like myself)?
    Yes.
  • I'm in the mobile industry.

Bold 9900 is rubbish for the following reasons;
    It's BB7 - thus soon to be obsolete
    the battery life is hopeless
    Browsing on BB7 is painful
    it's a previous generation phone

Honestly, anything is better than a Bold 9900

Recommend a Lumia of some description if you don't want Android, Galaxy or Razr-i if you do.
  • baldwin471
    baldwin471 Posts: 366
    Get a HTC One. Had mine for a couple of weeks now. Just incredible. Beautiful 1080P display, lightening fast quad core CPU, cracking low light camera and an awesome unibody aluminium build. Blows absolutely everything else on the market out of the water.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    baldwin471 wrote:
    Get a HTC One. Had mine for a couple of weeks now. Just incredible. Beautiful 1080P display, lightening fast quad core CPU, cracking low light camera and an awesome unibody aluminium build. Blows absolutely everything else on the market out of the water.

No.

A nexus 4 can be had brand new for £240.
  • baldwin471
    Bustacapp wrote:
    baldwin471 wrote:

No.

A nexus 4 can be had brand new for £240.

Yep, and like mine, can shatter and be completely useless after just one drop from a couple of feet.
  • Bustacapp
    baldwin471 wrote:
    Yep, and like mine, can shatter and be completely useless after just one drop from a couple of feet.

I dropped mine from more than a few feet and it is perfectly fine.

I guess it's worth paying another £250 for an aluminium cased phone though instead of perhaps £5 on a shell for it.
  • baldwin471
    Bustacapp wrote:
    baldwin471 wrote:

I dropped mine from more than a few feet and it is perfectly fine.

I guess it's worth paying another £250 for an aluminium cased phone though instead of perhaps £5 on a shell for it.

Even though i had a case on the Nexus 4? Don't get me wrong the Nexus 4 is fantastic, but the One is just another level. Camera infinitely better, build massively improved, screen much much better. There is a reason it costs more than the Nexus 4.
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I'm in the mobile industry.

Recommend a Lumia of some description if you don't want Android, Galaxy or Razr-i if you do.

"I'm in the mobile industry" probably tells us all we need to know about your ridiculous answer.

Yes, BB7 OS is gradually being replaced by BB10, but so what, it works perfectly well and will continue to do so.

Battery life is not hopeless, it lasts over a day before needing recharging, better than the iPhones that my three daughters have

Browsing on a 9900 is not as good as the larger touch screen phones, but perfectly adequate unless you're a tech junkie.

And yes it's a previous generation, so what, just like the SG2 and iPhone 4, all perfectly good devices.

The physical keyboard is a major plus as far as I'm concerned.

BB Bold 9900, excellent phone, buy with confidence, although you might prefer to pay a little more and get teh new Q10 which is being launched very shortly.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    proto wrote:
    I'm in the mobile industry.

"I'm in the mobile industry" probably tells us all we need to know about your ridiculous answer.

Yes, BB7 OS is gradually being replaced by BB10, but so what, it works perfectly well and will continue to do so.

Battery life is not hopeless, it lasts over a day before needing recharging, better than the iPhones that my three daughters have

Browsing on a 9900 is not as good as the larger touch screen phones, but perfectly adequate unless you're a tech junkie.

And yes it's a previous generation, so what, just like the SG2 and iPhone 4, all perfectly good devices.

BB Bold 9900, excellent phone, buy with confidence, although you might prefer to pay a little more and get teh new Q10 which is being launched very shortly.

Or a Bold 9790, even better really as the 9900 is more expensive and bigger, but the 9790 being bit more compact is far easier to get around with one hand, I don't think the screens have any less pixels for the smaller size either. 9790 is the size a blackberry had most success with.
  • proto wrote:

I work for a mobile carrier.

The 9900 is a pile of poo - I've got one here, and can happily confirm the battery vanishes quicker than anything else I have on the desk (iPhone 5, Lumia 920, Galaxy S3) when you start making calls with it. Granted, there is/was worse on the market (Motorola Pro+ springs to mind).

I account manage four customers, totalling 38,000 users. Mostly BlackBerry estates. Highest return rate on device failure? 9900. Device most likely to get moaned about in meetings with managers? 9900. 90% of the replacement batteries we supply? 9900.

The 9790, by comparison, is a good little device. It's the 9900 which is the stinker. Nonetheless, BB7 is on its way out. And, if you've used any of the WP8, BB10, or newer Android forks, feels older than the hills. Browsing is painful because of the way BlackBerry pass the data, rather than the available screen estate.

Granted, keyboard is a plus, if you're hammering email and texts all day. Otherwise it's a bit of waste of screen and weight. That, however, is down to individual user tastes. The Q10 is anticipated to be in the same price point as the Z10 (i.e. £500 for the device) although the way BB10 isn't selling at the moment, that may change.

Given that you can get a Lumia, Razr-I, and countless other things for the same price on contract, I see no merit in recommending an elderly end-of-life device, on an end-of-life OS, of variable build quality, poor battery life, and poor hardware performance.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    My 14 year old daughter has requisitioned my Iphone 3GS and handed me down her crappy little Samsung thing that is a complete nightmare.

I am impressed with the level of tech knowledge here (i grew up with the Zx Spectrum!) so can someone recommend me a phone for about £200, can be 2 nd hand, not too big or heavy for cycling, don't need keyboard, just use it to call, text and browse a bit. Good battery life and toughness a bonus.

I did quite like that 3gs, maybe another one of those?
    Don't really like my wife's bberry bold.

(We use macs at home if that has any bearing)
  • Largely depends on whether you've got loads of stuff on iTunes, iCloud, and the like.

Nokia 620 remains my current value for money device if you're not hung up on the operating system. No strava, but Endomondo works well on WP8, and as with all Lumias it has Navteq sat-nav built in. Fairly tough, very light, battery okay for size. Around £179 to buy it outright.

If you've got big hands, then the 720 does the same thing at roughly the same price, with a bigger screen
  • bernithebiker
    Largely depends on whether you've got loads of stuff on iTunes, iCloud, and the like.

Nokia 620 remains my current value for money device if you're not hung up on the operating system. No strava, but Endomondo works well on WP8, and as with all Lumias it has Navteq sat-nav built in. Fairly tough, very light, battery okay for size. Around £179 to buy it outright.

If you've got big hands, then the 720 does the same thing at roughly the same price, with a bigger screen

Thanks mate.

Don't really use it for music, itunes as have the Ipad for that. Don't really use icloud either. Not really fussed about op.system, although i'm used to mac stuff. Don't need Strava as I have the Garmin 500, although curious why it can't run Strava.....

Don't have big hands, so had a look, and it looks pretty good. Cheers.
  • Strava isn't available on Windows Phone (or it wasn't last time I bothered to look)
  • Bustacapp
    Strava isn't available on Windows Phone (or it wasn't last time I bothered to look)

There is an unofficial strava app for windows phone. It works fine.
  • bernithebiker
    Just ordered a Nokia 620 in white with another coloured cover free for 199 U ies, (about the same as UK price).

Thanks for the tip, hope it's as good as they say, and doesn't clash with our 'Macky' household...!
  • baldwin471
    Just ordered a Nokia 620 in white with another coloured cover free for 199 U ies, (about the same as UK price).

Thanks for the tip, hope it's as good as they say, and doesn't clash with our 'Macky' household...!

You will love it. Cracking piece of kit for the price.
  • bernithebiker
    Just got the Nokia 620 up and running, and very impressed so far; very clear screen, easy to use, plenty of free music, good GPS system, looks good, nice size. Great!