Rome...

upperoilcan
upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
edited January 2013 in The cake stop
Off there Monday as im taking the Mrs there as it's her 40th B,day..

I have just got the guide book and there seems plenty to do....

Anybody been and have any idea's of "must see" attractions" ??????
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

Comments

• The Pantheon, without a doubt!

Buy two tickets for the tour bus. Last for 24 hours and you can get on and off as often as you like throughout the day. A good way to get around if walking isn't your thing. If it is, take the bus all the way round and then get off at the furthest point from your hotel and wander back. You'll see more of the 'real' Rome that way and discover some little gems that you may otherwise miss on the 'tourist' trail.
  • Thanks,and i have been reading about the Pantheon and its one that i have shortlisted.

There are just not enough days in the week to see it all so im trying to make the best out of the 4 days we have there..
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • To be honest, even a fortnight probably wouldn't be enough to take in all Rome has to offer, so I wouldn't fret too much about getting it all in (you just won't).

If it were me, I'd allocate a day for the Colosseum and surrounding area, and a day for Vatican City, and use the other two to pick starting points and wander. For example, the Pantheon is wandering distance from Trevvi fountain (watch out for thieving little pick-pocket scrotes round there!) taking in the Temple of Hadrian and Santa Maria in Aquiro along the way.

Everywhere you turn there is something worth seeing, so pick what appeals to you and work outward from there.
  • I decided a long while ago to take a peek at the Vatican (only from the outside) and again the Trevi fountain looks like a must as well as the Colosseum.

I have also been advised to take in the Spanish Steps...

And i like your way of thinking to get as much done on the same area as it makes perfect sense for the time we have.

Problem is the more i read the more things i want to see......

It's bloody endless. :lol:
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Aye, endless it is!

I am in no way shape or form a religious person, but trust me, don't go to Vatican City and only look from the outside. St Peters is an incredible building, both inside and out.

4174499334_b02ea812b3.jpg
    Looking up by ShinyBrown, on Flickr

The queues for the Sistine Chapel aren't worth it though IMO and you can't take pictures etc. in there, so unless you *really* want to see that, don't hike up the hill to get in and spend the time with a coffee people watching instead!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Vatican is easily a day if you do it properly.

Avoid the famous Piazzas (Navone etc) for food etc.
  • Thanks chaps,an likewise im not into religion in any way shape or form but at the same time you gotta admire the architecture of the buildings.....

Great pic by the way....
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • cat city.
    raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the reason i have trust issues
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    I got a limo transfer from the airport (only cost a few quid more than a taxi) when I took the missus for our 10th wedding anniversary and the driver took us into the city along the Via Appia Antica and gave us a bit of a guided tour which was excellent but I think we just got lucky!

Basically all the well known stuff is worth visiting and even more magnificent in the flesh. It is probably the city I have most enjoyed on a weekend break. You can avoid queues by paying for a guided tour of the collisseum but depending on how busy it is you might be better paying the standard entry fee and earwigging an English speaking guide ;)

The Trevi fountain was probably the bit I was slightly disappointed with, possibly as it was just so crowded but also it wasn't quite as grand as I expected. There are also lots of less well known things like viewing points down onto excavated sections of the original city. Avoid getting ripped off by flower sellers, photographers etc. at the Spanish Steps and I would agree with Rick to avoid eating in the main tourist squares, there are often nice restaurants just off them that are much cheaper (although I did give in to an ice cream and Peroni in the Piazza Navona!)
  • Thanks Pross,

Something i havn't done is pre book anything,If i need to go down that route im sure the hotel will be able to help me out.....

Im basically going to shortlist a few attractions get them done and whatever we can see/do after those will be a bonus.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    The Vatican is definitely worth it. General admission to St Peter's is free, but it's worth paying the charge to climb to the top of the dome for some fantastic views of the city. The cheapest ticket doesn't include the lift to the base of the dome, but that's no great loss (the fun bit is the climb up the side of the dome itself, through some crazily narrow spiral staircases - there's no lift for this section). I'd strongly suggest also seeing the Vatican museums - miles of galleries stuffed full of spectacular art, from ancient Roman to modern, culminating in the Sistine Chapel. If you pick the right day and time, you probably won't even have to queue - good advice here (I followed it and walked straight in on a weekday afternoon):

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travelblogs ... tId=359518
    http://www.roninrome.com/%20sites-and-a ... ook-or-not

Agree about the Pantheon - amazing to see an intact building that's been in continuous use for the better part of 2000 years, dramatically lit by the hole in the centre of the dome.

I really liked the Palatine hill (same ticket as Colosseum and Forum), which is great for wandering about (but take plenty of sunscreen!).
  • Thanks RDW,
    Those links were very interesting ie Tuesday looks good for the Vatican. :)

This place looks like there is more to do than NewYork.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • walking tour of the jewish ghetto is amazing.
  • craprider wrote:
    walking tour of the jewish ghetto is amazing.

Not seen this.....

More digging to do. :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    The ancient city centre is amazing - more spectacular monuments packed into a couple of square miles than many capital cities have over their whole area.

Head off the beaten track to eat. Definitely avoid pizzas and ice creams around the tourist areas.

Try and get to the main attractions nice and early (before opening time if possible) and go and see some of the less famous sights in the afternoon.

Try to walk as much as possible. It's not as big as many other capital cities and you'll see a lot while you're walking.

Get yourself a pink jersey.
  • Interesting fact: Vatican City is the only city in the world that has a ratio of two Popes per square kilometre.
  • Interesting fact: Vatican City is the only city in the world that has a ratio of two Popes per square kilometre.

It also has the world's highest crime rate.
  • Simmotino wrote:
    Interesting fact: Vatican City is the only city in the world that has a ratio of two Popes per square kilometre.

It also has the world's highest crime rate.

Hmmm. Maybe the two points are connected...
  • Ones the Holy Father and one is the God Father :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • buy sandwiches & fruit , walk up garibaldi's mount , from his statue you can see all of rome beneath you & it's a great place for a picnic.St. peters is just out of this world, religious or not it's hard to think that this has been created by man,( no computers then)
  • In Italy there are two queues One for people without a ticket and one for people who already have one.
    So for instance if you prebook your ticket for the Vatican the wait is about an hour. Chose the earliest times
    if you can.
    http://www.rome-museum.com/
    need to book the tickets and print them at least 48 hours before you go.
  • Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and info,I have plenty to work with..

Looks like it's going to be rather warm as well.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    +1 Pantheon. Trevi Fountain at night is great. Do not bother with Circus Maximus, it is just a patch of scrub land with heaving traffic running around it.

If you are going to Vatican and into St Peters, make sure your wife has her shoulders covered (no capped sleeves or singlets permitted). We queued for ages only to be turned away, bought a scarf from one of the stands dotted around and started all over again.
    Do not use the buses, they are infested with pick pockets, and they are crafty b45t4rd5. We lost a digital camera, only realised when we disembarked. We realised that the git who was stood next to us and kept bumping into us was actually distracting from the accomplice sat on next seats who whipped the camera away.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • The Forum would be on my must see list.

We managed to find a great little restaurant just a few minutes walk from the Vatican, so worth taking the time to explore away from the tourist restaurants (which are truly dire). We also managed to walk straight in to the Vatican museum by going at lunch time.

Fabulous city!

There's a future for you in the fire escape trade...
  • Top tip, coffee in cafes is fixed price ( about 1.5 euro ) as long as you are standing up,as soon as you sit down the price goes up.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Not far from the Pantheon we found Sant'Eustachio cafe - one of THE best placs for coffee in Rome. Also had some great gelaterias nearby.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bikeav8or wrote:
    Top tip, coffee in cafes is fixed price ( about 1.5 euro ) as long as you are standing up,as soon as you sit down the price goes up.

That's kinda the point when you're on holiday, right?

Sitting on nice terraces drinking overpriced drinks.

• That's kinda the point when you're on holiday, right?

Sitting on nice terraces drinking overpriced drinks.

And of course people/world watching. :)

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • When in Rome ........

PS don't forget your sunnies rain or shine night or day 8)
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    edited September 2012
    Well what can i say !!!!

What a truly amazing place,had a fantastic time and the weather was brilliant(Although a little warm for all the walking).

We saw most of what was suggested on here (and in the guide book).

Would recommend Rome to anyone.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.