Summer Commuting Tyres for Road Bikes

2»

Comments

• ShandyH
    ShandyH Posts: 555
    Thanks for all the suggestions/feedback. I'll get some new tyres in the next few days and will report back!
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Torvid wrote:
    Another rubino pro (23mm) user have had them on for about a year now with no problems. Had conti's and shwable ult's before would buy the rubino's again for commuting but going to check out some serfas' SECA road tyres people on the Saturday morning ride seem to like them.

Have tried Seras Serfas, very grippy in the wet or dry, but ultimately felt like I was mired in molasses - lasted less than a week on them before switching back to Rubino Pro. Ended up giving them to a mate.

Thanks for the info, might still give them a try as they are fairly cheap and if worse comes to worse they can go on the turbo wheels.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • cjcp wrote:
    Durano Pluses year round.

Fitted these last week as we are now into the 3rd month of autumn up here - starts mid July. 23c to clear the Crud guards (quite tight). And if it's the training effect you're looking for then you have found your tyre. They seem to spin up alright, roll nicely, they're comfy and pothole repelling even at 120psi, and cornering is fine if not exactly on the rivet confidence inspiring.

But keeping the 500g of dessicated squash ball that lives under the tread blasting along takes perceptibly more effort than previously :roll: . However if I am not standing on the mean streets of east Glasgow in the sleet in December it will all be worthwhile. Will report back on Hoy like thigh development and (lack of) PF visits around April time.
  • do you rubino pro users go for the standard or the slick versions -is there much difference?
  • ShandyH
    In protest of Gabriel959's assumption that all things Sky (and therefore UK cycling) is polluted by EPO or something similar, I have decided to go for the Vredestein Fortezzas suggested by CM. Thank you for the review! They sound amazing!

Anyone who has done no investigation into VAM up the major climbs, new to old, deserves deflection. Look it up.

So, I'll look forward to reporting back on the new tyres.
  • do you rubino pro users go for the standard or the slick versions -is there much difference?

Standard for me. I can't think it makes much difference. The standard hardly has what I'd call "tread" and, even then, it's only on the sides
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    edited September 2012
    Likewise, standard, 23mm
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Daniel B wrote:
    What width of Rubino pro do you guys use for commuting??
    28mm

Ha!

I think some road bikes with short reach calipers will take that, but probably need to carry a spoke spanner, & be happy using it.
  • I use the Rubino Pro's 23mm all year. I've had one punc... in the last 3 years. LAST NIGHT! :(
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    do you rubino pro users go for the standard or the slick versions -is there much difference?

Standard barely has any tread anyway, lovely tyres but i'll be putting the GP4Seasons back on at the end of the month. Only tyres I feel happy on in the winter.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • ShandyH wrote:
    In protest of Gabriel959's assumption that all things Sky (and therefore UK cycling) is polluted by EPO or something similar, I have decided to go for the Vredestein Fortezzas suggested by CM. Thank you for the review! They sound amazing!

Anyone who has done no investigation into VAM up the major climbs, new to old, deserves deflection. Look it up.

Well I was just getting ready to ditch the Fortezzas in favour of the rubinos after all the positive reviews ;)
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    They also cut up really badly on the flint laden roads around here.

I used to use gators and like them but agree about them cutting up.
    Switched to durano plus about a year ago and these are MUCH more flint resistant. It's not the magic blue stuff because the flints havent even got through the outer rubber. I think they may be a bit grippier in the wet too.

Obviously a bit heavier than rubinos but I found them to be prone to pinch flats (probably wasnt as good at keeping them at pressure as I should have been!)
  • ShandyH wrote:
    I have decided to go for the Vredestein Fortezzas suggested by CM. Thank you for the review! They sound amazing!

I'm genuinely interested in your choice here. The Rubino Pro comes more recommended on here and (on Wiggle at least) is half the price. Again on Wiggle, they score very similarly (4.5 rating and 97% recommended for the Rubino, 4.7% rating, 95% recommended for the Fortezza) though reviews of the Rubino are 3x as many (3x the sales?). The Fortezza is clearly as good just wondered what made you choose it (given the price)?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH wrote:

Well I was just getting ready to ditch the Fortezzas in favour of the rubinos after all the positive reviews ;)

You can't tell me that now!!! I've already bought them!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Lol! We've been telling you all thread! They're clearly good tyres as well though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH wrote:
    I have decided to go for the Vredestein Fortezzas suggested by CM. Thank you for the review! They sound amazing!

I'm genuinely interested in your choice here. The Rubino Pro comes more recommended on here and (on Wiggle at least) is half the price. Again on Wiggle, they score very similarly (4.5 rating and 97% recommended for the Rubino, 4.7% rating, 95% recommended for the Fortezza) though reviews of the Rubino are 3x as many (3x the sales?). The Fortezza is clearly as good just wondered what made you choose it (given the price)?

Read the review and tell me it's not pretty impressive. I've had near misses with lack of grip in the wet and that was definitely a priority. I thought I'd give these a go and then if they're not what I'm after I'll try the Rubinos next. I got the Vredesteins for £19.72 off Ribble.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I got the Rubinos as a result of lack of grip from my R2s.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12870384&p=17785682

Not tried the Rubinos in the wet yet mind.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ShandyH wrote:
    Read the review and tell me it's not pretty impressive.

I did and I wasn't amazed - hence my question. After all the +1s on here from regular users for the Rubinos, it seemed slightly odd to go with a review. I've generally found that "thumbs up" from a good proportion of folk on here for a product means it's a pretty safe bet. I've also read some review of products I've owned and wondered if the reviewer had even seen the product let alone used it.
    ShandyH wrote:
    I got the Vredesteins for £19.72 off Ribble.

Good price and I'm sure they're good tyres
  • ShandyH
    The Cycling Fitness review talks about taking these tyres off his race bike onto his winter bike. Therefore he's basically saying he considers these tyres firstly adept at racing and then commuting, plus they perform well in the wet. I don't quite see what's not to like on this! This fits all the criteria I was looking for in a tyre! Anyway, I couldn't agree more that some reviews do not appear very hands-on. I do however think this reviewer is talking from fairly extensive experience on this.

Anyway, I would probably have forgotten about the Vredesteins in due course (not exactly the easiest name to remember) so I thought I'd take a punt on them before I forget! I'll let you know how they handle.
  • 2 x Vittoria Rubino Pro's arrived today from Wiggle 8)
    Can't wait to get them on and Taste the Difference.
    Thanks for the sage advice guys :D
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • First ride on these this morning and they feel great, a lot more comfortable than the old Bontragers and also seem to feel more 'alert' and direct.
    I'll let you know how robust they are over time! First impressions though are that these are great tyres for the money and are worth recommending for someone looking to upgrade from entry level/OEM type rubber.
    Cheers
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!