Summer Commuting Tyres for Road Bikes

ShandyH
ShandyH Posts: 555
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
I've got relatively bomb proof *touch wood* Continental Gatorskin Hardshells on my road bike and have done for a good 12 months or so but am aware they impact speed as the grip's nowhere near that of more race based tyres. Also their weight makes a big difference. They are superb for avoiding the PF to the extent that I've ridden over metal fragments and they've shot the fragments off to the side. I'm just interested if people on here use tyres that are better designed for speed during the summer and, if so, how they've faired. I'm wondering whether it's worth the gamble to get a bit more out the road bike during the last throes of summer.

Any insight very welcome!

Comments

• Buy Rubino Pros, use them all-year-round. Be happy.
  • ShandyH
    Are they relatively light, grippy and durable? No problems with PF?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    2 weeks into using mine and like them so far. Were only £16 each on Ribble as well which was nice.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ShandyH
    Cheers for that. I think it's time I swapped. Also do you go for more race like inners? I've been using some Specialized Presta inners which seem to be the standard inner tubes sold by Cycle Surgery. Again, I think it's time I did a bit of experimentation before winter kicks in.
  • ShandyH wrote:

All of the above. Just great tyres. Perhaps not quite as light grippy or full-on fast as true race tyres, and not quite as durable and PF resistant as the heavier touring tyres, but a superb balance between the two in my opinion.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Think I'll try those next time. Currently have GP4000s on road and commuter which are great but closer to £25 a tyre than £16, and some spare Durano Plus' which are also great (but not as fast) that might go on when the weather gets shitty and I swap out the bling wheels for normal ones.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ShandyH
    Thanks UE. Very helpful. I think it's time for change as I think the Hardshells lean too far to being PF resistant to the detriment of the performance.
  • Keep them well inflated, though, as racier tyres suffer more from snakebites otherwise.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Keep them well inflated, though, as racier tyres suffer more from snakebites otherwise.
    +1 to everything you said :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • ShandyH
    Okay thanks. I tend to check the pressure every two or three days anyway.

Out of interest what inners do you use with them?

I've got the GP4000s on my non-commuting bike and going around RP this morning really hammered home the difference in grip.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    ShandyH wrote:
    ... as I think the Hardshells lean too far to being PF resistant to the detriment of the performance.

You think, 2 weeks into a new set of hardshells rear wh has a visit and then the front shortly after. They also cut up really badly on the flint laden roads around here.
  • ShandyH
    Where is here? Maybe flint is their Kryptonite. Doesn't sound good though.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    ShandyH wrote:

All of the above. Just great tyres. Perhaps not quite as light grippy or full-on fast as true race tyres, and not quite as durable and PF resistant as the heavier touring tyres, but a superb balance between the two in my opinion.

+1. I've mainly been using them since I read a comprehensive tyre review in a French bike magazine a few years ago where they came top for a general purpose tyre
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    What width of Rubino pro do you guys use for commuting??
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I use 23's
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Durano S - all year round. 23s but only because Cruds don't fit over the 25s on my bike.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    Cool, currently on Continental Ultra Sport or some such name, and have covred about 500 miles so far with no issues, not even cutting up much yet, and I ride on quite 'flinty' roads - if flinty is a word.

Running them at 100psi.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Been trying Mavic Aksion's in 25mm form. so far so good. did get one puncture from shards of glass but haven't cut up much if at all since.

And I do like a company that tells you what the tyre is rather than attempting to blind with sudo science.

ie terms of durometer's and such.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    ShandyH wrote:

Berkshire : commute is Rural into town then a further stretch of Rural, I'll see if I can remember to provide photographic evidence when I get home tonight.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Another rubino pro (23mm) user have had them on for about a year now with no problems. Had conti's and shwable ult's before would buy the rubino's again for commuting but going to check out some serfas' SECA road tyres people on the Saturday morning ride seem to like them.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • These threads are of no use unless someone throws a completely different suggestion in at random:

Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp - http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/tyres-road-tri-track-folding-vredestein-fortezza-tricomp-folding-tyre/vredtyrf250 - £19.72

Bought them based on this review: http://cyclingfitness.hubpages.com/hub/The-Best-Road-Cycling-Tyres-For-This-Winter

Road.cc also review them here: http://road.cc/content/review/38488-vredestein-fortezza-tricomp-700x23c-tyre

Done 500 miles so far and all's good :)
  • gbsahne wrote:
    ShandyH wrote:

Berkshire : commute is Rural into town then a further stretch of Rural, I'll see if I can remember to provide photographic evidence when I get home tonight.

The roads around Berkshire and Oxfordshire are awash with rubbish this year and generally in a very poor state. Tried a few different tyres. My personal favourite for a mix of grip and resilience are Conti 4 Seasons. No experience of the Rubinos though...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • +1 Rubino Pros - why didn't someone mention these earlier in my commuting life?: cheap, fast (150tpi) and robust - I absolutely love them. I've been using Gatorskins before the Volagi arrived with 25c Rubinos on - thought I might as well give them a try and now there's no going back. Even the GP4000Ss I tried felt no quicker (no measureable difference either) and were far more puncture-prone.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • +1 on the Rubino's.
    A real plus is the nicer softer ride for me than Gatorskins and no discernable loss of speed either and thats running at 120 on the front and 110 on the rear. In fact so pleased with them that i took them to the Alps with me this summer rather than Schwalbe Ultremo zd's and didn't at anytime regret it. Kind of reassuring when descending at 40-45mph on not too great surfaces.
  • Torvid wrote:
    Another rubino pro (23mm) user have had them on for about a year now with no problems. Had conti's and shwable ult's before would buy the rubino's again for commuting but going to check out some serfas' SECA road tyres people on the Saturday morning ride seem to like them.

Have tried Seras Serfas, very grippy in the wet or dry, but ultimately felt like I was mired in molasses - lasted less than a week on them before switching back to Rubino Pro. Ended up giving them to a mate.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Due to an unplanned hangover, i ended up doing my 13 mile commute this morning on Maxxis Medusa's (Mud tyres).

Sloooooooooow.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Durano Pluses year round.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Another +1 for Rubino Pros. They just work. Fast rolling, grippy wet or dry and fairy repellent.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Conti 4 Season GP or Panaracer Pasela
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Commuting on a horrible cheap hybrid (for now) I've just fitted some Conti 4 seasons (28s). Very good so far but being as I've gone from nobbly stock hybrid tires to these recently and still can't believe what a difference they make I'm probably not the best person to ask!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.