New wheels but why!!?'

2»

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,102
    Obviously this argument is going to run and run.
    Yes higher weight (mass) wheels are ging to create a flywheel effect.
    I don't know who mentioned 'looking cool on a pair of decent 'bling' wheels' (to amalgamate a few threads).
    I did not buy expensive wheels (in fact both sets I have now are second hand) to look cool. There is no one here, I live in rural Scotland. Never heard a sheep or a cow comment on my wheels that are usually covered in cowshit and mud anyway.
    I am open to the idea of perceived speed as opposed to actual speed. I do notice a dofference between the Dura Ace and the Eurus whilst climbing. The Dura Ace actually climb better but you loose a bit on the flat.
    I have kept a diary (spreadsheet) of my cycling for the past 10 years and have noted when I changed frames and wheels and there is a correlation between speed and upgrades. Whether thats placebo or not, it doesn't matter as it has a positive result. The 'feel' of decent wheels (improvement to speed or not) is tangible. if you are doing long rides/centuries, a good pair of wheels makes a huge difference.
    I would never go back to handbuilt wheels of say 8 years ago. But thats me and it suits my needs but not everybody - say if you were a big rider. Modern factory built wheels offer great value for money.
    For the detractors - Its my money and i'll spend it on what I like.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I mentioned looking cool, it was a JOKE :!:

I honestly can't wait to get my new wheels, big kid and christmas spring to mind
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    boogi11 wrote:
    And that's fine, I love a bit of bling, as long as I know that's the reason

Bling IS the reason for bling.
  • save your money . its marketing you wont notice any differance whatsoever
  • mkviken
    mkviken Posts: 217
    rode my new mavic ksyrium SL's for the first time last night and they definately feel lighter and faster

the conti 4000S tyres are a bit lighter than the conti ultra race i took off too and they seem to roll better and also grip better. really good tyres.

i would definately advise on getting lighter/stiffer wheels. the make hills alot easier, im ave. 1 or 2mph more on the flat now and the look pretty damn good.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    mkviken wrote:
    i would definitely advise on getting lighter/stiffer wheels.

Serious question. How is it that lighter and stiffer go together?
    Seems a bit like "jumbo shrimp". :?
  • Rather suprisingly, the biggest difference when moving from my Campagnolo Khamsins to a pair of hand built Open Pros was the comfort level. Really noticable. Sadly they don't make me not suck at riding up hills.
  • mkviken
    mkviken Posts: 217
    dennisn wrote:
    mkviken wrote:

The use of different materials and manufacturing can easily change weight as well as strength.

For example carbon is lighter and stronger than steel. Mavic rims aren't drilled through which makes them stiffer etc
  • mkviken wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    mkviken wrote:

The use of different materials and manufacturing can easily change weight as well as strength.

For example carbon is lighter and stronger than steel. Mavic rims aren't drilled through which makes them stiffer etc

Neither material nor manufacturing, typically it's the geometry of the section which makes a rim stiff or not... deep V shaped rims are by far the stiffest... if they are made of composite they can be even light.

Stiff and strong have little to do with each other... ceramics are very stiff, yet very brittle
    left the forum March 2023