Brakes pads; carbon brake tracks; alu brake tracks

2»

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Paul E wrote:
    Anyone else reading this thread and thinking "Christ, using campag sounds like a massive ballache"?

Nope. As ever I'm torn between contempt and pity when it comes to Shimano users. But hey, some people like ugly.

Ugly works and one persons ugly is another person beauty and sometimes very very over priced

Don't worry. You have my pity/contempt.

I am not worrying, there are more important things than worrying about what my groupset looks like, how it works is more important
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    It's no bother at all. Get Shimano

After that, nothing good could have been said.
    All kinds of funny.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Paul E
    Rolf F wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    Anyone else reading this thread and thinking "Christ, using campag sounds like a massive ballache"?

Nope. As ever I'm torn between contempt and pity when it comes to Shimano users. But hey, some people like ugly.

Ugly works and one persons ugly is another person beauty and sometimes very very over priced

The Campag cartridge design is pretty much a 'what were they thinking' thing. Hence why I'm changing to cartridges with the screw fixing which does appear to be a useful Shimano development. But hardly a reason to choose one system over another. The price comment is a bit silly! :wink:

Just three words - Super Record EPS (how much??)
  • Paul E wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

The Campag cartridge design is pretty much a 'what were they thinking' thing. Hence why I'm changing to cartridges with the screw fixing which does appear to be a useful Shimano development. But hardly a reason to choose one system over another. The price comment is a bit silly! :wink:

I think someone is getting a little overexcited. Calm down eh.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    What I want to be able to do is swap wheels and NOT have to swap pads. At all. Hence the request for the magic pads.

Hard to see how the magic pads can realistically exist.

Well, if it weren't for the fact that they are magick, I'd agree with you. But they are magick, so must exist.
    Greg. I'll put this as simply as possible: Whilst there may be pads that are suitable for use with both carbon and aluminium rims, you'd be daft to think that these would be suitable for use on carbon rims *after* you've used them on aluminium rims.

But they're magick...

Now I'm not going to concede this, but I've been thinking a bit more, and as my memory clears it is just possible that the pads in question were said to be suitable for carbon rims and suitable for alu rims. Not suitable for carbon rims having been first used on alu rims. Hmm. That sounds a bit more plausible...
    You could always buy carbon wheels with an aluminium braking track...

http://citec.de/main.php?id=32

Err, no. That leads to VD of the eyes. I refer you to IP's recent thread with his new Pinarello. When the bright shining alu brake track was pointed out to him, he cured it with some 404 FCs within 48 hours.

And rightly so.
    Paul E wrote:

One, two three, four, five.

Yup.

Definitely five words.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • BTW changing pads on the new Record gruppo really is a doodle:

iQ1XT.png

I've got 08 Chorus and can testify to that being an utter Pita. But with 2012 Record the difference is night and day. Was dreading changing the pads when I got my new wheels but it took seconds.
  • Greg66 wrote:

Err, no. That leads to VD of the eyes. I refer you to IP's recent thread with his new Pinarello. When the bright shining alu brake track was pointed out to him, he cured it with some 404 FCs within 48 hours.

Damn your eyes man.
  • Paul E
    brackets don't count, that's just being facetious, I do have a point though, put made in Italy on something connected with cycling and the price goes up but not necessarily the quality at the same rate.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Paul E wrote:

TBH, I have no idea - I've never checked the prices of the moped conversion kits :lol:
    Greg66 wrote:
    But they're magick...

If you want magick, wouldn't it just be more effective to wish for magick Rodriguez thighs of steel? I mean, wishing for magick brake pads that work on carbon and alloy rims is not really very ambitious is it?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Paul E
    £4k
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Paul E wrote:
    £4k

Fair point. Still, that's probably just down to someone at Campagnolo with bad teeth getting his own back on dentists!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Paul E
    Rolf F wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    £4k

Fair point. Still, that's probably just down to someone at Campagnolo with bad teeth getting his own back on dentists!

LMAO :lol:

Would you trust Italian wiring after the reputation that their cars have, hell even now ferraris spontaneously combust
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    But they're magick...

If you want magick, wouldn't it just be more effective to wish for magick Rodriguez thighs of steel? I mean, wishing for magick brake pads that work on carbon and alloy rims is not really very ambitious is it?

A-ha, my unimaginative young friend, you assume that I have not already done just that, and more so, that I was not successful! :mrgreen:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greg66 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    But they're magick...

A-ha, my unimaginative young friend, you assume that I have not already done just that, and more so, that I was not successful! :mrgreen:

Like Greg wishes for anything that isn't filthiness with various women (and possibly men).
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    So is the solution to buy latest incarnation of Record pads and holders, thereby making changing pads a doddle? Alternatively get some non-Campag (but similarly non-Shimano) generic pad holders and pads (probably end up being Shimano style pads, but not actually Shimano), alternatively grease pad holders before inserting pads, remove pads whilst alu wheels in place / no wheels at all and MTFU, alternatively stick to alu wheels as you really don't need carbon, alternatively don't you have two almost identical bikes? Couldn't you just have one with alloy wheels, one with carbon?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Oh, as for all the Shimano v Campag banter, the two increasingly look the same (Campag still looks better to me butthe gap has really shrunk since Shimano got rid of those awful external cables on the shifters). Price isn't really that different (especially as you can easily mix and match Campag gruppos / use older and newer stuff together). Functionality is pretty similar. My mate has recently changed from Shimano to Campag. His Shimano worked fine. His Campag works fine. It took him maybe one ride to adjust to the subtle shifting differences.