Brakes pads; carbon brake tracks; alu brake tracks

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Rule of thumb: brake pads on alu rims pick up shards of alu. Put carbon wheels with a carbon brake track on the same bike and wave goodbye to your carbon wheels.

However, IIRC someone on here recently posted about some pads that they said were suitable for alu and carbon brake tracks, and (I think) through some magicks or wizardry did not pick up shards from alu wheels on the way.

Or I might have misremembered. Or misunderstood. I'm not sure. I tried to use the search but it's broken.*

So: anyone know anything useful about this?

*When I say it's broken, that may or may not be true. Because I didn't really try to use it. What's the point when I can post a question?
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• Sounds made up to me. I'd swap pads when swapping wheels, doesn't take too long, and it'll keep the carbon loveliness lovely.
  • Sounds made up to me. I'd swap pads when swapping wheels, doesn't take too long, and it'll keep the carbon loveliness lovely.

Been there, done that. With Campy brakes you can't change pads easily, and certainly not in situ without a risk of damage to the wheel. I ended up with a second set of shoes loaded with carbon specific pads. Changing the shoes and getting the toe in "just so" was a PITA I'm keen not to repeat.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Dear oh dear nurse will be along shortly you sit quietly now until she arrives
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sounds made up to me. I'd swap pads when swapping wheels, doesn't take too long, and it'll keep the carbon loveliness lovely.

Been there, done that. With Campy brakes you can't change pads easily, and certainly not in situ without a risk of damage to the wheel. I ended up with a second set of shoes loaded with carbon specific pads. Changing the shoes and getting the toe in "just so" was a PITA I'm keen not to repeat.

It's no bother at all. Get Shimano style cartridges (I've been trying out Barradine ones - listed as Campag compatible - which get decent reviews. They seem alright. Soft so short lived but maybe less wear to the wheel) - these use the screw to locate the pad so to get the pad out you just release the screw and push the pad firmly but gently with a screwdriver or suchlike. You can then use any Shimano compatible brake pad you like. You may want to remove the wheel to make life a bit simpler but you don't touch the cartridge mounting bolt so no issues over resetting toe in etc.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I don't do Shimano.

Next.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    FSA isn't far off ;-)

Okay I know its SRAM but still not campag
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Shush, you!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    I don't do Shimano.

Next.

Good man.

The new Record brake pad holders are a doddle to use btw (although having a small flat bladed screw diver helps). About a million times easier than the 08 Chorus ones my older bike runs.
  • rolf_f
    Greg66 wrote:
    I don't do Shimano.

Next.

You don't do 'reading posts' either do you. Where did I say to buy any Shimano? But hey, I know not to bother next time :wink:
    PS I don't do Shimano either. Plank.....
  • So: removal requires a screwdriver and pressure in close proximity to a carbon brake track. What could possibly go wrong? Replacement requires thumbs of steel and grease. And an uncanny ability not to shift the caliper so that the pads rub.

Listen. I can assure the world that changing campy pads in situ with or without removing the wheel is basically impossible. Changing the shoes is the least worst option. And it's sh!t.

Now, when is someone going to find me those magic pads?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rolf_f
    edited September 2012
    Greg66 wrote:
    So: removal requires a screwdriver and pressure in close proximity to a carbon brake track. What could possibly go wrong? Replacement requires thumbs of steel and grease. And an uncanny ability not to shift the caliper so that the pads rub.

Listen. I can assure the world that changing campy pads in situ with or without removing the wheel is basically impossible. Changing the shoes is the least worst option. And it's sh!t.

Like I said, clearly you don't do reading posts but you should really try it sometime. It's great for finding out things......... Here's my tip - look at the words and try to form them into a sentence and then try to use your brain to interpret what that sentence means. In this case - it is how to change pads on Campag without taking off the cartridges (which is impossible using standard Campag cartridges as you say). If you don't want to use a screwdriver, use something softer - a wooden coffee stirrer may well be strong enough. I used the side of a screwdriver and if I had slipped, it wouldn't have caused any damage. I don't know why I'm saying this though as you won't read it properly......
  • Greg66 wrote:
    So: removal requires a screwdriver and pressure in close proximity to a carbon brake track. What could possibly go wrong? Replacement requires thumbs of steel and grease. And an uncanny ability not to shift the caliper so that the pads rub.

So maybe its just me, but you are switching wheels so why not switch pads BEFORE putting the delicate carbon cheese wheels on? Mmm? The only think that could possibly go wrong is poking your own eye out.
  • Easy Missus. No need to get yer bleeding petticoats in a knot.

I read your post this far:
    Rolf F wrote:
    It's no bother at all. Get Shimano

After that, nothing good could have been said.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    I use the power of my mind

No point trying to reason with g66 he's beyond help in so many ways
  • rolf_f
    itboffin wrote:
    I use the power of my mind

No point trying to reason with g66 he's beyond help in so many ways

But I wanted to help him - he seemed so lost and sad the poor little mite........
  • Greg66 wrote:

So maybe its just me, but you are switching wheels so why not switch pads BEFORE putting the delicate carbon cheese wheels on? Mmm? The only think that could possibly go wrong is poking your own eye out.

What I want to be able to do is swap wheels and NOT have to swap pads. At all. Hence the request for the magic pads.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • just replace all you wheels with carbon. Problem solved.

Or alternatively N+1. Problem solved.
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • just replace all you wheels with carbon. Problem solved.

Or alternatively N+1. Problem solved.

These are most excellent solutions.

Most regrettably, they fall short of the Domestic Spending and Storage Committee.

The former also carries the frisson of Russian Roulette when it rains...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • not sure if the swisstops range would help I know they do a carbon and ally one, and I think I read somewhere that the carbon one also works fine on ally, so that might help or just confuse and everyone else more :lol:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • rolf_f
    Greg66 wrote:
    What I want to be able to do is swap wheels and NOT have to swap pads. At all. Hence the request for the magic pads.

Hard to see how the magic pads can realistically exist. I'd imagine harder pads might be more resistant to picking up the metalwork but then do you want to use harder pads?
    I regularly pick the metalwork out of my pads but the fact that its there to pick out means it is already scoring the brake tracks. If there were pads that didn't pick up the metal and were as effective as normal pads everyone would want to use them on their alloy wheels whether or not they had carbon wheels as well.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Anyone else reading this thread and thinking "Christ, using campag sounds like a massive ballache"?
  • Clearly the answer is disc brakes.

:-)
  • Anyone else reading this thread and thinking "Christ, using campag sounds like a massive ballache"?

Nope. As ever I'm torn between contempt and pity when it comes to Shimano users. But hey, some people like ugly.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Anyone else reading this thread and thinking "Christ, using campag sounds like a massive ballache"?

Their mechs look quite "agricultural" too like they are stuck in the past and for all the moaning by faboys I have no problems changing the pads on my DA brakes and they work just fine. I will stick to so called shitmano or sram thanks.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Nope. As ever I'm torn between contempt and pity when it comes to Shimano users. But hey, some people like ugly.

I don't think that's exclusive to shimano users ;-).
  • Greg. I'll put this as simply as possible: Whilst there may be pads that are suitable for use with both carbon and aluminium rims, you'd be daft to think that these would be suitable for use on carbon rims *after* you've used them on aluminium rims.

You could always buy carbon wheels with an aluminium braking track...

http://citec.de/main.php?id=32
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052

Ugly works and one persons ugly is another person beauty and sometimes very very over priced
  • Paul E wrote:

Ugly works and one persons ugly is another person beauty and sometimes very very over priced

Don't worry. You have my pity/contempt.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    thats the last time i help you IP.

Pity and contempt my arse. Didnt even bother with Super Record EPS. What kind of fanboy are you? Part timer.

:P
  • rolf_f
    Paul E wrote:

The Campag cartridge design is pretty much a 'what were they thinking' thing. Hence why I'm changing to cartridges with the screw fixing which does appear to be a useful Shimano development. But hardly a reason to choose one system over another. The price comment is a bit silly! :wink: