there is always one

2»

Comments

• tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    That chap would have deserved a beating!
    I wish he had actually faced up to some chav who would have proceeded to beat him up and steal his bike.

I meanthe boldness of it all. To stop and actually have a go about such things on someone else bike which is not causing a hazzard or obstruction. :roll:
  • I've got the threaded ring on one wheel and my dust caps don't even match.

In your face, bike police!

My rear one's got about a 100mm long valve as well. Helps keeping the extra weight over the back so I can put the power down, see.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    What a weapon
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    So while sat there another guy on a bike rides past staring at me, he then stops, comes back and proceeds to tear me of a strip about dust caps on my valves looking unprofessional. WTF!!! How the hell he spotted them i have no idea,and how on earth is that unprofessional?

He then muttered that people like me are a disgrace to the sport,and rode off. I really don't get what his problem was.
    Rant over.
    Thankyou for listening.

Fantastic trolling, only 2 pages though. 3/10
  • *removing dust caps.....
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Scott Speedster S55
  • i'm glad i'm not the only one who is confused, as to why this bloke decided to have a go about something so odd.Tonight i have put the bell and reflectors back on in the hope that i bump into this prat again, that way i can ride alongside him(if i can keep up) merrily dinging the bell for his enjoyment. while he stresses over the fact i must of added a good 10 grams with the 2 reflectors. Oh yeah one last thing, what on earth is trolling????? as mentioned by the above poster.
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    There is always one.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Oh yeah one last thing, what on earth is trolling????? as mentioned by the above poster.

Deliberately posting threads/responses in such a way as to cause a vitriolic argument. Ideally you'd pick on a subject that has a nice balance of opposing viewpoints to maximise the potential row. Good examples of trollish posts on here might include "helmets should be made compulsory" and "Campagnolo make the only groupsets worth having".*

Shutuplegs thinks you made the whole incident up to start an argument about valve caps.

*the correct answers being 'false' and 'true' !!!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thanks for clearing that one up Rolf, not quite sure why shutuplegs would think i would start a post about someone deciding to belittle me tho.Each to their own i guess.
  • jimmies
    jimmies Posts: 156
    I've only been cycling a couple of months so the dust cap thing would throw me to

....sort off of topic though - Since I've been a member of this site I have been astonished by the amount of direct, out of order post by some people on here....bit like the chap above. I play many sports and had other hobbies for years (motorcycling,rugby,golf,fishing....) and I'm a member on lots of forums related to these activities, but this site has by far the highest percentage of this kind of un-warrented interaction. Yes it happens on ALL forums but I would never have expected such a stark increase (if any at all !) when dealing with cyclists. I hope I've just hit a bad patch of emotions...sort of like a cyclists time of the month or something - and everything will be better in a week. :lol:
  • jimmies wrote:
    I've only been cycling a couple of months so the dust cap thing would throw me to

....sort off of topic though - Since I've been a member of this site I have been astonished by the amount of direct, out of order post by some people on here....bit like the chap above. I play many sports and had other hobbies for years (motorcycling,rugby,golf,fishing....) and I'm a member on lots of forums related to these activities, but this site has by far the highest percentage of this kind of un-warrented interaction. Yes it happens on ALL forums but I would never have expected such a stark increase (if any at all !) when dealing with cyclists. I hope I've just hit a bad patch of emotions...sort of like a cyclists time of the month or something - and everything will be better in a week. :lol:

Im also new on here and to road cycling, I think what you need to remember is this seems to be a VERY busy forum which mean many many users, some of which are the stereo typical roadie, old and grumpy with OCD tendancies :lol:

Bearing in mind i come from an XC background so i am going to think that lol.

I do think though that once you ignore the plebs this i a very good forum where 9/10 are very helpfull and friendly.
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Scott Speedster S55
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    thanks for clearing that one up Rolf, not quite sure why shutuplegs would think i would start a post about someone deciding to belittle me tho.Each to their own i guess.

I suspect he thought it might be the case as he has probably never known anyone who would stop to rant about something so ridiculous - I certainly haven't. I don't doubt it happened but it's probably just a one off loon as despite numerous threads on here about 'the rules' it is normally tongue in cheek stuff. I certainly wouldn't take the p*ss out of a total stranger because he was riding with dust caps, 'dork discs' or some sort of trade / champions jersey but experienced cycling friends would get a gentle ribbing. I don't like dust caps as they serve little / no purpose and I don't like how they look but have your bike how you like it, wear what you like and ignore the idiots. Chances are they are fairly new themselves and take the velomanti rules as being an actual cycling bible rather than the satire I've always assumed them to be.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I thought this was one the most light-hearted threads I've seen for a while. Are you missing the :D , :) & :wink: in most of the posts?
  • jimmies
    jimmies Posts: 156
    totally agree this thread is far from the bad ones.....just this was the first thread I have read today and it had that chap in it.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    CiB wrote:
    I thought this was one the most light-hearted threads I've seen for a while. Are you missing the :D , :) & :wink: in most of the posts?
    WHAT?!

Dust caps are serious business you know ... :twisted:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    WHAT?!

Oh get with it - being serious about dust caps was last week. We are treating them casually this week.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • My Agree came with clear dust caps, ha! I can keep the dust out and the bike snobs will never know. WIN :lol:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Rolf F wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    WHAT?!

Oh get with it - being serious about dust caps was last week. We are treating them casually this week.
    Damm ... and I was looking forward to chasing down the dustcap offenders this evening .. :(

So what are we on now? Mismatch Bar tape to Shoe colour?
  • You were wearing a trade jersey by your account, stopped without it being with a puncture or at a train level-crossing and were displaying valve nuts and caps.
    The surprise is that you are the one making this post and not the law abiding cyclist who was obviously overwhelmed by your blatant rule disregard.
    These unpleasant moments would be much less likely if all bikes were sold with a log book type document that listed the rules.
    Breaking the rules is never acceptable, but sometimes it happens (just a point of the finger to a fellow cyclist whose sleeve has risen above the tan line is sometimes all that is necessary to avoid a gross infringement for example). However, conciously bolting your inner tube to your rims and then drawing attention to the area with a valve cap is starkly pre determined.

Your list of infringements is a lengthy one. Some are actually upsetting to some and certainly lower my cycling pleasure just thinking about them.

You should be posting to thank the passer-by quite frankly, and to report your learning and future adherance to the rules.

My view, more pride and dignity and less of this anarchy.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Melter wrote:
    Sense
    Good man - welcome to BR. Ever thought of being a mod? :wink: