there is always one

Triangle Kebab
Triangle Kebab Posts: 85
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
i went out this evening for one of my evening wobbles around some quiet local roads,after about 10 miles i stopped for a drink,plonked myself down on the grass and took in the view for a few minutes. Its probably worth mentioning at this point that i am still pretty new to cycling and realised a few weeks ago that, i have no desire to be, or the ability to be the next bradley wiggins. Im just out there doing it to lose some poundage, and because i enjoy it, but i digress. So while sat there another guy on a bike rides past staring at me, he then stops, comes back and proceeds to tear me of a strip about dust caps on my valves looking unprofessional. WTF!!! How the hell he spotted them i have no idea,and how on earth is that unprofessional? my response was " i'm sat here in a pair of cargo shorts, adidas superstar trainers and a hooters of orlando t-shirt(great place to eat btw), i'm hardly trying to be a pro". He then muttered that people like me are a disgrace to the sport,and rode off. I really don't get what his problem was.Is it really that much of a taboo not to be kitted out in lycra??
Rant over.
Thankyou for listening.

Comments

• dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    What a tit. I have dust caps on a set of wheels that cost over £1000 what does that say about me!,
    You hadn't overtaken him earlier did you? Seriously you get some real knobs out there just ignore them and keep up the riding
  • OMG, you are both breeching rule 60. Have you no shame.

I wonder how many this fella was breeching?

Have a laugh here,
    http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    about dust caps on my valves looking unprofessional. WTF!!

WTF seems pretty justified. Can you specify what exactly he took issue with r.e. your dust caps - the colour? the angle?
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    Probably not aligned with the lettering on the tyres

:P
  • you stopped?

for a drink?

stopped?

the weirdo was right! :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    dice, bullets or skulls?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Kudos to the passing roadie. Dust caps and the abominations that screw the valve to the rim are the first things in the bin, straight after the packet and the instructions.

Were they yellow, these caps? Yellow seems to flavour of the month, maybe to make it is easier for the Bike Police to spot anyone who might use them.

Keep an eye open for this chap and thank him next time you see him.

:)
  • hmm. we need pictures of said dust caps to be able to judge for ourselves.

But using dust caps is sensible.. I don't want a load of gunk on my valve.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CiB wrote:
    Kudos to the passing roadie. Dust caps and the abominations that screw the valve to the rim are the first things in the bin, straight after the packet and the instructions.

Were they yellow, these caps? Yellow seems to flavour of the month, maybe to make it is easier for the Bike Police to spot anyone who might use them.

Keep an eye open for this chap and thank him next time you see him.

:)

You have an unhealthy obsession about the evils of dust caps. Did a dust cap molest you when you were little?!

Besides, they are well worth putting on if they are capable of setting people off into foaming at the mouth rages. Every time I screw mine on, I smile at the thought of the people whose days I am about to ruin for having done so! :wink:

The yellow ones are off Continental tubes. I don't buy them for that reason!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    " i'm sat here in a pair of cargo shorts, adidas superstar trainers and a hooters of orlando t-shirt(great place to eat btw), i'm hardly trying to be a pro".

Consider yourself VERY lucky to escape with your life.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D For the avoidance of doubt. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't acutally think these people existed!!!

I might have to put my dust caps back on!! :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    It's been a while...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    wtf indeed ...

I'd be tempted to buy some of these ..
    31W%2BaferrbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    .. if I thought I'd come across him again ... (LED flashing dust caps)

Perhaps you should put a rack and panniers on the back ...

Or some spokeydokeys ? they're a laugh and a half!

There was a disgrace to the sport ... and it wasn't you!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Slowbike wrote:
    wtf indeed ...

I'd be tempted to buy some of these ..
    31W%2BaferrbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    .. if I thought I'd come across him again ... (LED flashing dust caps)

Where can you buy these? :) I'm thinking "Rhinestone Roadie", but if I lie down it'll probably pass. :lol:
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • slowbike
    just google LED dust cap .... :)
  • If I didn't know better I might think you lot have little respect for the rules.
  • As a fellow newbie, can a pro please enlighten me as to why you don't use your dust caps or the screw that secure the valve to the rim? :?:
  • slowbike
    As a fellow newbie, can a pro please enlighten me as to why you don't use your dust caps or the screw that secure the valve to the rim? :?:
    Weight

every gram counts ...

apparently ...
  • When I was a child my local priest told me always to put dust caps on otherwise you would go to hell when you died.
  • CiB
    As a fellow newbie, can a pro please enlighten me as to why you don't use your dust caps or the screw that secure the valve to the rim? :?:
    They serve absolutely zero purpose. Keep your tyres pumped up and the tube ain't moving anywhere. It doesn't need a threaded ring to keep it in place. If you're riding on a flat tyre you may as well go the whole hog and fit pink tassles and TellyTubby flags to your bars so that everyone can enjoy the sight.

Dust caps? The valve has a neat little screw top to keep air in and dirt out. Wearing dust caps just flags you up as the sort of rider who doesn't top up the pressure regularly so needs a dust cap to stop the screw top rusting into place.

People who fit them do so without knowing why and why they're not necessary; ergo using them is a sign that you don't know what you doing, or why. Probably. :wink:
    Rolf F wrote:
    You have an unhealthy obsession about the evils of dust caps. Did a dust cap molest you when you were little?!
    Yeah, had a bad experience as a teenager. Never got over that sense of being dust-capped... :)
  • slowbike
    CiB wrote:
    The valve has a neat little screw top to keep air in and dirt out.
    About time you took a closer look at your presta valve then ...
    All mine are like this:
    328px-Presta_valve_close.jpg So even with the little thumb nut tightened up there are two points where dirt/water can enter the valve housing - which you then pump into the tube next time you top up ...
    think of all that added weight! ;)
  • And always use helium to inflate, it's lighter than air.
  • What a reprehensible human being. I'd have been tempted to kick him off his bike!
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Slowbike wrote:
    just google LED dust cap .... :)

Do they fit Presta valves?

I can see a wind up forming......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CiB wrote:
    They serve absolutely zero purpose. Keep your tyres pumped up and the tube ain't moving anywhere. It doesn't need a threaded ring to keep it in place. If you're riding on a flat tyre you may as well go the whole hog and fit pink tassles and TellyTubby flags to your bars so that everyone can enjoy the sight.

Punctures may happen..........

But seriously, I only use the caps and screws in the hope that one day mine and CiBs paths will cross and unknowingly I will fill his heart with rage and torment!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Are you serious? I always use rings and yellow dust caps (even if I'm not using continental tubes) because I think they look cool! I don't like to see the valves without rings/caps but I definitely wouldn't call anyone out on that, what the hell?
  • CiB
    Rolf F wrote:
    But seriously, I only use the caps and screws in the hope that one day mine and CiBs paths will cross and unknowingly I will fill his heart with rage and torment!
    Your loss mate not mine. :)

Personally I don't care enough to tell anyone else, not unless the question is asked anyway. And I wouldn't fit them for the reasons given plus mending a roadside flat is bad enough without additional bits of hardware to remove, keep track of and replace. Reckon I stopped fitting them when I was a teenager, when Mud & The Sweet were still in the Hit Parade.

@Slowbike. My bike is behind me in the office. Just had a quick look and although the bike itself is a bit grubby and in need of a bit of a clean etc, both valves are still shiny and clean, just like your photo. Maybe I go too fast to allow dirt to settle. That'll be it. :wink:
  • slowbike
    CiB wrote:
    @Slowbike. My bike is behind me in the office. Just had a quick look and although the bike itself is a bit grubby and in need of a bit of a clean etc, both valves are still shiny and clean, just like your photo. Maybe I go too fast to allow dirt to settle. That'll be it. :wink:
    It wasn't a photo of my valve .... but looking across at my bike in my office I concur - nice and shiny - the bike is too cos I cleaned it after the last wet run ...

So - dust caps are only required for those that are too slow ... or for those who wish to wind up others who break down at the sight ... :D
  • So in all seriousness, by removing my heavy dust caps and the little screw thing I could up my Ave speed from 16.0mph to what 26.0 mph? :D
  • slowbike
    So in all seriousness, by removing my heavy dust caps and the little screw thing I could up my Ave speed from 16.0mph to what 26.0 mph? :D
    Oh come on ... be serious ... it will only help you accelerate more quickly to 26mph .. so you can drop your mates - oops I mean the peleton on the attack ... ;)
  • Really? What a cretin. I too preferred to hope that these people were fabricated on the internet! I wonder what he would have said if you had been wearing team kit!?

But I just don't see why anyone gets wound up about this, let alone stop to lecture someone about it. There are good reasons in favour. There are not very many against. If I were racing I wouldn't bother.