Stag do

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Is there anything more tragic than a group of slightly overweight British 30 and 40 somethings grimly meandering around a foreign capital with a morose stag in tow, dressed up in some weird PVC attempt at humour, while the locals look on in revulsion?

After this weekend, I've decided there isn't.

Oh well, at least I got to visit the Stasimuseum which I've been meaning to for a while.

Comments

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Sounds like a crap stag!

We did go karting, followed by brewery tour with much tasting (sambrook's in wandsworth), followed by private movie screening and dinner (one aldwych hotel) followed by cocktails followed by strip club. Nobody was dressed in PVC and it was awesome.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Forgive my youthful ignorance - never been on a stag do.

Why does it have to be abroad?
  • It doesn't. Mine was in Bristol / Wales and it was great.

This stag was pretty good actually, but it should have been 24 hours shorter. No-one can hack the pace into the 3rd day and everyone was walking around zombified. Also, we were left to our own devices during the day so everyone just got on with some tourism, which was good.
  • The problem with stag dos is that they can be a little deer.

Fenton Fenton Fenton
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Yes, once I've added in flights, accommodation, the 'beer bike' and spending money I've easily done £500.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive got a stag do next year in Portugal

someone mentioned its a stag/ golf trip

im hoping to take sneak my bike over for when the rest of em go chasing balls on the green
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Yes you can certainly get through the doe on a stag do. :wink:
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Is there anything more tragic than a group of slightly overweight British 30 and 40 somethings grimly meandering around a foreign capital with a morose stag in tow, dressed up in some weird PVC attempt at humour, while the locals look on in revulsion?

I'm with you, man. I went to Prague to see the sights and couldn't understand the local pubs/restaurants sour attitude to me whenever i opened my mouth and they realised i was English. Then came the Friday night and....oh, now i see.

I felt the urge to apologise to complete strangers on their behalf and on behalf of Great Britain.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Mine is next month (I dont know exactly when). I banned the BM taking us abroad as the budgets just get silly and it would have counted out a few of my good mates. Hopefully it will be a good laugh but I am expecting some humiliation.

Lots of stag do invites kicking around at the moment and some of them are crazy. One of the best men has arranged a five day one in Spain. I looked into the costs and it was going to end up being circa £700-800 which is just crazy. After one night of heavy boozing I am done so the prospect of forking out loads for a multi day thing just doesn't appeal.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • My best man laid on a great line-up for mine. I had a brilliant time.

Friday: curry and beers.
    Saturday: canyoning in Wales; CAMRA pub of the year for lunch; sleep; Hooters; cheesy night club; strippy.
    Sunday: fry up; home.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    My best man laid on a great line-up for mine. I had a brilliant time.

Friday: curry and beers.
    Saturday: canyoning in Wales; CAMRA pub of the year for lunch; sleep; Hooters; cheesy night club; strippy.
    Sunday: fry up; home.

Sounds like a good one.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Mine was very simple. Started at about 5pm with a bit of a pub crawl. Then we went up to town, a bit of scoff in Break for the Border, then a late night drinking establishment until about 7am. I then got back to my parents and cycled to Sheen and back through the park in the faint hope that a leaving party a friend of a friend was having at his house might still have been going. There were various unconscious/dead bodies on the floor (one in the garden) but no signs of life.
    when I got back to my parents' place about 9am my dad said I loooked better than I had at 9pm when he'd left us to it.
    My hangover lasted the latter part of Sunday and a most of Monday.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Meanwhile, I have a hen do (not mine...) in London next May apparently. So I'd give the place a wide bearth that weekend if I were you guys.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • off to see the Chippendales?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    off to see the Chippendales?

Lord, I hope not. I'm yet to experience the male stripper phenomenon and I'm hoping things will stay that way.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for afternoon tea at the Ritz (even though I don't like tea or coffee I can still think of it as a rather posh cake stop).
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Peat wrote:
    I'm with you, man. I went to Prague to see the sights and couldn't understand the local pubs/restaurants sour attitude to me whenever i opened my mouth and they realised i was English. Then came the Friday night and....oh, now i see.

I felt the urge to apologise to complete strangers on their behalf and on behalf of Great Britain.

Yup. I was in Bratislava very briefly a couple of weeks ago and some people literally rolled their eyes at me when they heard my accent. There were two big groups of fully costumed blokes on the 6.30am flight from Stansted.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • msmancunia wrote:
    off to see the Chippendales?

Lord, I hope not. I'm yet to experience the male stripper phenomenon and I'm hoping things will stay that way.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for afternoon tea at the Ritz (even though I don't like tea or coffee I can still think of it as a rather posh cake stop).

If it's not a personal question, will you be dunking?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    never been on a stag do.

:shock:
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    edited September 2012
    Forgive my youthful ignorance - never been on a stag do.

+1

In fact the first one i'll be going on is likely to be my own. :shock:
  • mudcow007
    for my stag do, i fancy going to Russia or something firing some automatic weapons an possibly an rpg if i'm good, drinking vodka until we cant see then retire to out 50p per night hotel

i dont understand the dressing up thing?
  • mudcow.

we went to Riga once, went off into the woods and shot machine guns and all sorts of weapondry. It was great fun.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i dont understand the dressing up thing?

Because it's fun, right?

That's what i'm told anyway.
  • IME Stags appear to be designed so the Stag has a miserable time. Suffice to say, I hated my stag do. Was the exact opposite of what I'd have chosen to do.
  • ...and your best man messed up his speech.

Are you still mates?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    IME Stags appear to be designed so the Stag has a miserable time. Suffice to say, I hated my stag do. Was the exact opposite of what I'd have chosen to do.

So it didn't involve riding the Dogma 2 up a Col?
  • ...and your best man messed up his speech.

Are you still mates?

Amazingly, yes. It's my fault for choosing him but he is my best mate and my Brother is even more useless!

@jzed Sadly not. Being forced to ride a bike would have induced coronaries in 40% of the group, and I'd have been waiting a loooooooong time at the top.

Mind you, not sure a cycling stag would be such a good idea; you'd probably end up being forced to ride a 'Livestrong' branded Argos full susser up the Tourmalet (with a pannier load of bricks), whilst dressed in inflatable sumo costume and towing a trailer blasting out Abba tunes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Thankfully when it came to my stag do my mates showed themselves in their true light. They were far more interested in drinking heavily than they were in stitching me up.
  • Mine was pretty good, went down to "that London". Bungee jumping near Chelsea Bridge followed by a titty-bar and a blues club, then a fry-up the next day and played frisbee in Green Park until it was time to go home. I was a young stag, though, so we didn't have to go to the extreme lengths of the older ones.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow.

we went to Riga once, went off into the woods and shot machine guns and all sorts of weapondry. It was great fun.

nice

ive heard Riga is quite a nice place to go to, an the people seem pretty cool too
  • mudcow007
    im disappointed to not hear about anyone getting selotaped naked to a lamp post or something equally as grim?