Neilpryde

Dyrkngai
Dyrkngai Posts: 6
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Here it is.

Hello everyone,
I would like to share with you my recent experiences with my new Nielpryde bike, the “Diablo”.
Nielpryde is a large manufacturer for water sports equipment and has recently started to produce bikes as well. Although a novice in the bike industry, there is some level of expectation when you buy a $33600 bike.
I bought my “diablo” six months ago. After 2 months, the top tube cracked. I went back to the shop and they replaced my frame, suggesting it was a quality issue with that particular frame. Two months later, the top tube cracked again. This time the shop contacted Nielpryde. After four days, I was informed by Nielpryde sales that they had checked the frame carefully and decided the crack was due to strong external force and that they would not replace the frame.
This is impossible however! If the damage had been due to external force, you would expect to see more damage and a larger crack from the outside. Instead, you can clearly see that the crack stems from the inside.
The bike is manufactured in China which may explain the poor quality control. Whatever the reason, you do expect some corporate responsibility and customer care when spending good money on such an expensive product. Their response and actions have definitely destroyed my original excitement for riding my new “diablo”.
Well, this is my experience with Neilpryde and I hope yours is better. Please think before you buy.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    $33,600 is indeed quite a lot to spend on a bike. Pretty much all carbon bikes are manufactured in Asia (China and Taiwan). Bagging on quality because of this is childish and incredibly misinformed.

Toptubes don't just crack. Is it where the toptube meets the headtube?

How much do you weigh? I'm always wary of first time posters with these type of stories...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    thinking this is classic troll activity grill, ignore if I were you ...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Wow! I've seen numerous Neil Pryde first post trolls where they extoll the amazing virtues of them, but not one that so royally slates them.
    It would be good to hear a non-troll post about a Neil Pryde bike. I don't hold out much hope...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Grill
    Quite the polarizing brand it would seem...
  • That's y I post it that is in the middle of top tube .my weigh only 65kg man
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Wow! I've seen numerous Neil Pryde first post trolls where they extoll the amazing virtues of them, but not one that so royally slates them.
    It would be good to hear a non-troll post about a Neil Pryde bike. I don't hold out much hope...

It was the best of frames in the world, it was the worst of frames in the world........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Hi everyone,
    I wanted to update you on my recent experience with Nielpryde; since posting my complaint, Nielpryde has contacted me again and offered to replace my cracked frame at no cost.
    In fact, I was contacted by Michael Pryde – Nielpryde’s Bikes Division Manager – and I now have a direct contact to coordinate the replacement of my frame in a most efficient way.
    I would like to thank Nielpryde for their efforts up until now and I shall update you on further developments.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Back to being the best frames/bike in the world now!
  • Grill
    I wonder if the OP has the same relationship with his bike as he does with women...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yay! Troll thread complete- troll makes it initially sound like he's complaining about the company but wow! Fabulous customer service. The only time I'll take a Neil Pryde thread at face value is when someone established on here gets one...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Grill
    I was incredibly close to buying one, but went with the Foil. It was too difficult to find somewhere in the vicinity that had Neil Pryde and Storck demos, and the minute I got on the Foil it felt right.
  • Kind of just want to give Neil a big hug and say ''dont worry mate, lets sack these daft buggers you've been using to do your PR and start again init''

Bless him
  • In my days as a windsurfer, Neilpryde was the sail to have if you wanted to be seen as someone fast... they were the most expensive and Bjorn Dunkerback used them to win a gazillion world titles... I got one and kept being slow and struggling with my power jibe... must be still somewhere in the garage

So that's my experience with Neilpryde... 8)
    left the forum March 2023
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    In my days as a windsurfer, Neilpryde was the sail to have if you wanted to be seen as someone fast... they were the most expensive and Bjorn Dunkerback used them to win a gazillion world titles... I got one and kept being slow and struggling with my power jibe... must be still somewhere in the garage

It's not about the sail? :wink:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    In my days as a windsurfer, Neilpryde was the sail to have if you wanted to be seen as someone fast... they were the most expensive and Bjorn Dunkerback used them to win a gazillion world titles... I got one and kept being slow and struggling with my power jibe... must be still somewhere in the garage

It's not about the sail? :wink:

The marketing hype about sails and boards in the 1990s was just as bad as the cycling industry is today... I became suspicious seeing some hippies in shorts with 1980s triangular sails made of heavy fabric and patched with gaffer tape doing all sorts of tricks, while I was struggling with my F2 board in honeycomb and Neilpryde monofilm sail with cambers.

Those were the days... 8)
    left the forum March 2023
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    NapoleonD wrote:

I've ridden a diablo as my team shop has started to sell them.

It's an amazingly stiff and responsive frame. My team mate (elite cat) rides one with DA 7900 and DA C35 wheels and swears by it because the standard finishing kits on the bikes are a bit rubbish.

The demo bike I rode (for 50 miles) was, as I said very stiff, however, the finishing kit on the ultegra model was horrible. The bars gave me a shed load of road buzz (were also a horrible shape). My hands were hurting after 45 miles and the saddle was not for me (sella italia IIRC) (num rollocks)

This bike is an out and out race machine, sportive riders go elsewhere its far too harsh for anything else but racing. That being said you will feel like you're flying up hills and every watt of power is going into a sprint. This isn't marketing rollocks its how I felt riding the bike.

In the end I decided not to get it because the BuraSl was going to be released in a few months at the time and I wanted to ride that first before making my decision and also by the time I would have got the frame I'd only have a month left of my season (Id already achieved 2nd cat so nothing to race for anyway).

So there you go, consider this a non troll review...unless of course I've been lurking for months racking up posts waiting for someone to post that they didn't want to read a non troll review ;)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm just a bit worried how he paid almost 34 grand for it though. Has there been a massive currency fluctuation that nobody told me about ?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cougie wrote:
    I'm just a bit worried how he paid almost 34 grand for it though. Has there been a massive currency fluctuation that nobody told me about ?

Does explain the standard of service though "Would Sir like Asian or Scandinavian virgins to service his needs while we swap the components over?"
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Dyrkngai wrote:
    That's y I post it that is in the middle of top tube .my weigh only 65kg man
    Dyrkngai wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    I wanted to update you on my recent experience with Nielpryde; since posting my complaint, Nielpryde has contacted me again and offered to replace my cracked frame at no cost.
    In fact, I was contacted by Michael Pryde – Nielpryde’s Bikes Division Manager – and I now have a direct contact to coordinate the replacement of my frame in a most efficient way.
    I would like to thank Nielpryde for their efforts up until now and I shall update you on further developments.

Is it just me or do these two posts seem to have been written by two completely different people too? :shock:
  • Grill
    Perhaps along with his new frame Neil Pryde were good enough to provide complimentary English lessons...
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I've ridden a diablo as my team shop has started to sell them.

It's an amazingly stiff and responsive frame. My team mate (elite cat) rides one with DA 7900 and DA C35 wheels and swears by it because the standard finishing kits on the bikes are a bit rubbish.

The demo bike I rode (for 50 miles) was, as I said very stiff, however, the finishing kit on the ultegra model was horrible. The bars gave me a shed load of road buzz (were also a horrible shape). My hands were hurting after 45 miles and the saddle was not for me (sella italia IIRC) (num rollocks)

This bike is an out and out race machine, sportive riders go elsewhere its far too harsh for anything else but racing. That being said you will feel like you're flying up hills and every watt of power is going into a sprint. This isn't marketing rollocks its how I felt riding the bike.

In the end I decided not to get it because the BuraSl was going to be released in a few months at the time and I wanted to ride that first before making my decision and also by the time I would have got the frame I'd only have a month left of my season (Id already achieved 2nd cat so nothing to race for anyway).

So there you go, consider this a non troll review...unless of course I've been lurking for months racking up posts waiting for someone to post that they didn't want to read a non troll review ;)

Be riding a BuraSL soon so I can give my review on that as well.

Hopefully they'll also supply me with some much needed English lessons if I decide to buy it ;)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    "grass seeding"
  • DavidJB
    dodgy wrote:
    "grass seeding"

I'll be honest their poo marketing tactics put me off a bit, they really need to stop it. :roll:
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Dyrkngai wrote:
    Here it is.

Hello everyone,
    I would like to share with you my recent experiences with my new Nielpryde bike, the “Diablo”.
    Nielpryde is a large manufacturer for water sports equipment and has recently started to produce bikes as well. Although a novice in the bike industry, there is some level of expectation when you buy a $33600 bike.
    I bought my “diablo” six months ago. After 2 months, the top tube cracked. I went back to the shop and they replaced my frame, suggesting it was a quality issue with that particular frame. Two months later, the top tube cracked again. This time the shop contacted Nielpryde. After four days, I was informed by Nielpryde sales that they had checked the frame carefully and decided the crack was due to strong external force and that they would not replace the frame.
    This is impossible however! If the damage had been due to external force, you would expect to see more damage and a larger crack from the outside. Instead, you can clearly see that the crack stems from the inside.
    The bike is manufactured in China which may explain the poor quality control. Whatever the reason, you do expect some corporate responsibility and customer care when spending good money on such an expensive product. Their response and actions have definitely destroyed my original excitement for riding my new “diablo”.
    Well, this is my experience with Neilpryde and I hope yours is better. Please think before you buy.

Poor trolling, pics or you're talking horse sh*t !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    MattC59 wrote:
    you're talking horse sh*t !

^ This I expect
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Yay! Troll thread complete- troll makes it initially sound like he's complaining about the company but wow! Fabulous customer service. The only time I'll take a Neil Pryde thread at face value is when someone established on here gets one...

Not me personally, but my friend has an Alize and is very happy with how it rides and has had no problems with it. He bought the Alize about 18 months ago and if I recall got a good deal on wheels - got Cosmic Carbone SRs for only a small increase (less than £200 extra?) over the stock Ksyrium SLs. In fairness, previously a touring cyclist he only started riding seriously about two years ago and has no other "proper" road bikes to compare it against (other bikes are a touring bike and now a TT bike).

Possibly fairly "limited use" information, but it's all I know about them :) .
  • cougie wrote:

Well, Neil Pryde is a Hong Kong based company, and as there are a bit over 12 HK$ to the pound my guess would be OP is quoting HK$.
  • Thought I would actually add my thoughts. Recently (8 months ago) I actually bought a Neilpryde Alize. As some of you may know, I am an out and out Colnago nut, but decided to give the Alize a go after reading a few good write up's about them. I must say, after 8 months of riding the Alize, I'm extremely happy with it. In fact, I love riding it. The model I purchased came with Ultegra and Mavic wheels. Plus FSA Handelbar and stem. Quite a nice package. Anyhow, no complaints so far. It handles well and its a great all-rounder with it's aero design, which is actually noticeable when out riding. Now, I'm extremely happy to ride this bike along with my Colnago bikes! If anyone is thinking about buying one, take one our for a demo. But I guess you don't know what a bike is really like until you live with it. Anyhow - great bike! :-)
  • Nothing like bumping up an old thread that was discovered whilst searching Google for something.

My twopence; my first Pryde Bura SL cracked in 2 places (non drive chain & drive side seat stay) and was replaced under warranty (albeit, very, very slowly). Got a new 2014 model from them which was appreciated, got it built up and went out riding. Under 2 months later, this one is cracked too but left hand side of the headtube this time.

The Bura SL is a fantastic bike to ride, it really is. But I think that NP need to look at the failings that are becoming all too common and think "what do we need to do to fix this?". I think a cracked bike twice in a row is too much of a coincidence and I will not be getting the frame warrantied again. I'm in no way an engineer so simply can't say on whether it's a shite carbon lay-up or just a rubbish design.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,047
    I would have bid on the Bura SL frame on ebay but Epic Cycles say their ex demo stuff comes without a warranty and I've known enough frames fail within a couple of years to be wary of spending significant money on anything without. Fwiw I know one guy with an Alize and he's happy with it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]