Child Seats

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited December 2012 in MTB general
Evening all

I was out running a few weeks ago and saw a bloke with a front facing child seat on his bike and thought that would be good for taking the Monkey out on the bike - gets me out on the bike more, and gets him used to bikes early.

Had a look around and this seems to be the best one

http://www.weerideuk.co.uk/Weeride_Deluxe_ltd.asp

Anyone used one of these ? Think clamping onto a Reverb will be an issue ?

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DCR00 wrote:

Think clamping onto a Reverb will be an issue ?

DCR
    Well as the seat you linked to does not mount on the seat post. It will not be an issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DCR00
    I guess if we are being pedantic, then the seat mounts on a bar, and the bar mounts to the bike.

The mounting bar clamps to the headtube and the seatpost.

All of the seats on that site use the same mounting bar.

Its not pictured in that link TBF.
  • DCR00
    "The WeeRide mounts on almost any bicycle by way of an ingenious independent steel support bar that attaches between the front handle bar tube and the seat post."
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    just my opinion, but i don't agree with any kind of child seats on bikes, it doesn't matter how careful a rider you are, you can't account for the idiot who may knock you off, and with a nippa on the bike that just doesn't bare thinking about
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • we looked at the weeride before opting for our hamax, our problem with the weeride was that when riding it pushes your knees out to a silly position and after about 15 minutes i got cramp in my hips / knees.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    chez_m356 wrote:
    just my opinion, but i don't agree with any kind of child seats on bikes, it doesn't matter how careful a rider you are, you can't account for the idiot who may knock you off, and with a nippa on the bike that just doesn't bare thinking about
    I disagree, I think there should be a lot less cottonwool.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DCR00
    James0911 wrote:
    we looked at the weeride before opting for our hamax, our problem with the weeride was that when riding it pushes your knees out to a silly position and after about 15 minutes i got cramp in my hips / knees.

ok thats good feedback

cheers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DCR00 wrote:
    "The WeeRide mounts on almost any bicycle by way of an ingenious independent steel support bar that attaches between the front handle bar tube and the seat post."

Ah. Shuch small pics and no visable fitting info.

If you mount the clamp below the joint in the seatpost you would be fine but i would not be wanting to add to the side loads on the bearings.

But i am also againts anything that add force where it aint designed to be. If you were to get one i would be getting a cheap seat post to use with it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DCR00
    Thats a good shout

Evans sell them so i think some test fitting is in order
  • I have a wee ride and fitted to a dropper post - not a problem at all, you just clamp it on the outer obviously!!! I have done 10 miles or more around Swinley fire roads (and a little bit of easy trail) with my boy in and have had no comfort issues, he loves it and its a much better solution than a rear seat.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    How easy is it to remove the steel bar? I looks like that could be a pain in the butt to take on and off all the time. At least with a rear seat its just a small bracket (albeit a mightily heavy one) to leave on. One other consideration is that with a rear seat you can't wear a rucksack, which is annoying especially as you've now got two to carry stuff for. So maybe a seat up front is a good plan.

As for not taking kids on bikes - I'm with CD on that one. Way too much cotton wool going on.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    How easy is it to remove the steel bar? I looks like that could be a pain in the butt to take on and off all the time. At least with a rear seat its just a small bracket (albeit a mightily heavy one) to leave on. One other consideration is that with a rear seat you can't wear a rucksack, which is annoying especially as you've now got two to carry stuff for. So maybe a seat up front is a good plan.

As for not taking kids on bikes - I'm with CD on that one. Way too much cotton wool going on.

Once you have it set up the first time, its just a case of undoing one of the nuts / bolts either end and swinging the loose bracket away and removing, 5 minutes job tops. I also use some thick rubber tape on the headtube and post just to protect the paint - bit overkill, but I like to keep my bikes as mint as possible!!

I am a real fan of the front seat, your nipper can see what going on, you feel more secure in a minor tumble as you have your arms around him and you can talk to each other and have a really nice bit of quality time. We often ride around Swinley in the quieter areas looking for Deer, Squirrels etc - Some of the best times I have spent with my Son have been on the bike together. The only downside is the added weight, when going up a steep hill and he's shouting, come on Daddy pedal faster!!!
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • DCR00
    what bike are you using the seat on ?
  • DCR00 wrote:

Trek EX8 with a KS I900 Post
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Seems pretty good VFM that, couldn't believe it was less than £100.

Let us know how you get on aswell DCR, could be just what i need when the little one's a bit older.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    DCR00 wrote:

Nice bit of bounce for the boy too eh :)

Would have to choose between the enduro, DH bike, or more probably the mighty carrera vengeance :lol:
  • DodgeT wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

Nice bit of bounce for the boy too eh :)

Would have to choose between the enduro, DH bike, or more probably the mighty carrera vengeance :lol:

Yes - actually the dropper post makes it much nicer to use, as you can drop it when you come to a stop and get both your feet on the floor for good stability and getting on / off the bike, riding off is the same - get going and then the seat goes back up into your comfortable riding position. I think to be fair if you had to use the bike with a normal post and the seat dropped more than you would usually ride - enough to allow easy on off etc, it may be a bit uncomfortable, but to be honest, with the seat in my usual riding position, the wee ride really doesn't hinder my riding at all.
  • James0911 wrote:
    we looked at the weeride before opting for our hamax, our problem with the weeride was that when riding it pushes your knees out to a silly position and after about 15 minutes i got cramp in my hips / knees.

I have my youngest nipper on one of these (and the older one being towed on a trailgator), I concur with the knees out comment, no cramps but it is a pretty horrible riding position.
  • DCR00
    Guess its down to leg length/frame size

My Spesh is similar in design to the Trek, so hopefully i wont have any issues
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    I've never liked the idea of these types of seats - i cannot see how they wouldnt get in the way of your legs and, if for whatever reason there is an accident, you'll more than likely land on top of the nipper! Rear mounted seats remove both issues, BUT, i cant say i'm a massive fan of them either - they need the flex so that they're not rigid and snap, but, everytime i see someone using them and the kiddie's in the back bobbing up and down, i really dont trust them.

I'd say use a trailer, or get a babysitter and wait until he can get on a tag-a-long......
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I have looked at front mounted, rear mounted and trailers.

Having tried the front (or handle bar mounted if you want to call it that) the bike was very difficult to ride, steering and pedalling. In addition, should you come off, you may well land on them. Not sure I like the idea of him on the back either.

We are looking at trailers, probobly going to go for a Charriot or NOS Trek GoBug.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    James0911 wrote:
    our problem with the weeride was that when riding it pushes your knees out to a silly position and after about 15 minutes i got cramp in my hips / knees.

I agree with this, I used a Weeride and it was pants, no matter how much I adjusted it I couldn't use it for more than about 20 minutes.

Both my wife and myself now have Hamax rear mounted seats and they're great, the kids love them as well. I've ridden some gentle singletrack (Seagull Run in Swinley, Minley Maze - torq12:12) with it but steered clear of more taxing singletrack (Stickler in Swinley, Crusty Sponge BOB - torq12:12) as it does affect your balance.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Lol. Id love to see my daughters face if we went round Stickler at full pace with her in the seat!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Have you considered a trailer instead? That's what I'm getting I think. Seems safer plus can put a few toys snacks etc jn to keep them good!
  • Have you considered a trailer instead? That's what I'm getting I think. Seems safer plus can put a few toys snacks etc jn to keep them good!
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    benpinnick wrote:
    Lol. Id love to see my daughters face if we went round Stickler at full pace with her in the seat!

One of my friends took his lad down the Labyrinth on a tag-along, the lad loved it - until they crashed :roll: :roll:
    It's made me more cautious in what I'll ride with the children..............
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    crispy1980 wrote:
    Have you considered a trailer instead? That's what I'm getting I think. Seems safer plus can put a few toys snacks etc jn to keep them good!
    Having bought a Hamax for my first born and then later moved to a 2 seat trailer when we had our second I would certainly advise anyone to choose a trailer over a seat. Much easier for the rider due to the low attachment point and a far nicer experience for the child. Both my kids prefer the trailer.

Trailer is handy for shopping trips as well.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • 've been looking into getting a seat on my hybrid for my one year old daughter. Those seats look very cool. I like the platform for them to put their head on if they fall asleep. Although I think my daughter would be so excited there wouldn't be much chance of that. I've been considering a Hamax or a Co-pilot Limo/Taxi up until now.

The issue with the Wee-Ride is the knee position, although it looks like you can move the seat forward or back to minimise this?? Also the removal/attachment factor looks quite a faff. The rear-mounted seats all seem to be quick-release and you can take them off, but leave the attachments. However having the kid upfront is better for their visibility.

There's a lot to consider.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I've got a Hamax for my little boy and he goes bonkers for it. The only issue we have is that he hates wearing a helmet but that's just something he has to get used to.

I'd probably do mild off roading with him but for anything taxing I just go out with the lads. The enjoyment for my son seems to derive from just being out and about, I don';t feel the need to take him on singletrack until he can ride it himself.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Just picked up a weeride deluxe for £60. Hope my short legs and long top tube means it won't get in the way. Just need a helmet for the nipper then I'll be out with young un up front with me and his nog brother in the trailer.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava