Pedal For Scotland 47/110mile sportive Sept 9th

2»

Comments

• the_Spooks wrote:
    ... although did have 2 people draft me for about 3-4 miles and no intentions to come and share the workload...

Oh yes, the wheelsuckers! :evil: I had one of those most of the way through one of the exposed sections of moorland. He stayed on my wheel the whole time, picked up the pace when I did, slowed when I did (even if I slowed to a pace he could easily pass me). But as with most of those types in my experience, they have a weakness - in this case, he couldn't descend and I zoomed away, never to see him again.

If someone inexperienced tags on and asks if you mind him/her doing so, that's one thing, but to silently stick to your rear wheel for a free lift is a total no-no. I'm far from the best cyclist out there and I never did that to anyone making a better pace than me. Instead, I would join the back of the queue to see if I could match the pace and then either try to do my bit at the front or drop back a little and be respectful. I think I was more help to other riders by chatting and encouraging them if they were needing a confidence boost.

The boys from the Royal Marines Reserves were a good bunch, especially their team member who was less experienced and who I chatted to a few times during the ride.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)