Pedal For Scotland 47/110mile sportive Sept 9th

Gazzetta67
Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
Any idea how many are down to ride the Sportive ? - entered the 47 mile tho i might be riding back depending on the weather :D

Comments

• I am doing the 110 mile, the website says circa 5000 in total

Doesn't seem to be any chat on here about it though, weather looks positive (cloudy mid teens temparature, not much wind) and it should be a really challenging course

Don't have my race pack yet though...
  • I,m doing the sportive ride as well , I believe there's over 800 taking part, and I received my pack today , looking forward to it been a great route the last two yrs , enjoy!
    Kuota Kharma 2011

Pinarello FP1
  • Im doing the 47 with my brother and young nephew. If the weather is nice I'm going to continue on for another 30 miles home to the borders.
  • My pack arrived today for the 110 mile and I'm kinda bricking it, first sportive although did 2 back to back 100 mile cycles earlier this year but it just seems different somehow. May see some of ya'all there
  • steve_muzzy
    steve_muzzy Posts: 259
    edited September 2012
    hard shift that. just over 6 hours - will upload the garmin later met some really decent guys on the way round and got into a couple of good groups which always helps :)
  • Gazzetta67
    Hi Steve. what was your avg speed,total climbing & Calories ? I'm thinking of doing the sportive next year....tho i did ride to glasgow green...edinburgh and back home 93 miles 8) .
  • WTF
    WTF Posts: 52
    Times for those interested.

http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/
  • This is the route from my garmin..

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/220772098
  • WTF wrote:
    Times for those interested.

http://www.tdl.ltd.uk/

49th! Happy with that, especially as my neck went at 65 miles and I was struggling for the last 35 + - If I did a equal split I would have been top 20 , plus I did the last 20+ all on my own ...
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Hi Steve. what was your avg speed,total climbing & Calories ? I'm thinking of doing the sportive next year....tho i did ride to glasgow green...edinburgh and back home 93 miles 8) .

Elevation Gain: 5,592 ft
    Calories: 10,177 C
    16.9 moving speed
    Its bloody difficult!

Was the challenge ride along the canal system?
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Challenge ride goes on roads via Easterhouse, Dalzeil Park, Airdie, Linlithgow, Kirkliston then onto bike paths into Edinburgh.

The challenge ride is a very congested affair with all sorts of POBSO weaving across the road. It has a great atmosphere similar to Great Scottish Run.

The 110mile sportive is an excellent ride, particularly if you are still with a big group for the last 30miles downhill to Edinburgh.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Great sportive ride, although yes, it was congested at times and some of the riding skills on display were truly shocking. (em, what does POBSO mean- People on bikes ??)

But the weather held, the organisation was fantastic and we'll be back again next year.

Excellent value for money as well- tee shirts and a medal of course, but as much milk, cereal bars and bananas as we could eat. The feed stops were superb and with the urinals in place, there were fewer queues for the portaloos.

We do the ride most years. Hubby, sister-in-law, her hubby and myself with assorted children. The four of us have also done the Trossachs Ton (the 100k route, not the 100 mile one).

But we were thinking about upping our game next year if we don't have kids with us, and one of the reasons is the bizarre riding we came across- it really slowed us down. We can all manage the Sportive without difficulty- how much of a step up is the 110 mile route? What are the feed stops like?
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Tusher wrote:
    (em, what does POBSO mean- People on bikes ??)

Pedestrian On Bicycle Shaped Object
  • Tusher wrote:

But we were thinking about upping our game next year if we don't have kids with us, and one of the reasons is the bizarre riding we came across- it really slowed us down. We can all manage the Sportive without difficulty- how much of a step up is the 110 mile route? What are the feed stops like?

Its a bugger of a route, I have done several circa 100 miles rides and do the Etap (85 mile flat out) in about 4 hours but this was a beast, I was going pretty hard though and did spent a lot of time outside a group. The killer hill at circa 70 miles took a lot out of me! Also some of the roads are really rough and some sections were covered in mud from farmers which was not pleasent..

Riding was impeccible, several times I joined a group, didn't know anyone and we still manged a decent chain gang. No one doing anythign dodgy (well apart form a few red lights..) met up with a coupl of guys from East Calder who helped me along to the 50 mile mark pretty swiftly and they were full of banter..

food stops were good, basic energy bars, tunnocks caramel wafers, nannas and water (no energy juice but Gels) and the mid point had pasta and sandwiches - they were at good points in the ride (I only stopped at the 2)

Signage was really good too, only once did I have the "have I gone the right way" feeling,
  • Tusher
    Alan A wrote:
    Tusher wrote:
    (em, what does POBSO mean- People on bikes ??)

Pedestrian On Bicycle Shaped Object

doh! Thanks :)
  • Tusher
    Thanks Steve- we'll have to talk it over, but I think we're probably best doing the 47 miles next year, and perhaps build up our speed with another Trossachs Ton.

Also, we love Linlithgow- just the chance to stop, sit on the grass and chat with hot soup, tea, coffee and as much as we could eat. Not sure the 110 miles would have the same feel to it.
  • the 110 is very much about hammering on as its bloody long way, not much stopping to chat etc going on there !

There is a sportive in Kinross in April - http://www.sportive-kinross.co.uk/ - the red route would be a great middle ground for you?

I did the black in just over 5 hours and I reckon the red would be easily doable in 4.30 to 5 hours for most average cyclists, some nice roads as well!
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    Some of the roads that were chosen for the 110 mile sportive were just shocking!
    Total bone shakers!

With that wind it wasn't easy...........managed 10th place and a 5hr33 so happy with that!
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • WTF
    WTF Posts: 52
    AndyD2574 wrote:
    Some of the roads that were chosen for the 110 mile sportive were just shocking!
    Total bone shakers!

With that wind it wasn't easy...........managed 10th place and a 5hr33 so happy with that!

That`ll be the uphill section next to M74 with the wind in your face then.
    Apart from that it was OK although I was suffering cramp for the last 60 miles and finished about 80th place which wasn`t too bad considering.
  • Was there a shortcut on the 110 mile route?

Slightly suspicious of a club mates high placing and the lack of a strava upload from him :D
  • Was there a shortcut on the 110 mile route?

Slightly suspicious of a club mates high placing and the lack of a strava upload from him :D

Yes, you could have stayed on the A70 and cut out about 20 miles...
  • Gazzetta67
    The only complaint i have this year is why did they put traffic cones in the country roads and dont know if some of you lot noticed signs "no more than 2 abreast" ???? are they having a laugh nearly 9000 cyclists...what are you supposed to do ride behind maw,paw and the 3 weans at 4mph and not pass them...the worst bit was weaving in and out the cones....think i will ride the sportive next year as it's not as hectic just more sore on the legs 8)
  • Tusher
    Ooooh, I loved the cone dodging, but yes, it was dangerous when someone else would decide to veer out past the cones and a car was coming.

Does anyone know if 5 year old James pedalled all the way to Murrayfield? He made it all the way up one steep hill without stopping, I was sooo impressed.
  • Did the 47 mile ride with my 12 year old. Could've went a lot faster than we actually managed.
    We're both used to riding in decent sized bunches & having to weave round the POBSO constantly made it a nightmare as we frequently got boxed in & were doing 4mph at one point.
    Managed it in around 3:45 which given the stop start nature was not bad going for a wee lad.
    Feed stations were pretty good - well the 2 we used anyway.

Got rammed up the @rse by a woman on a BSO at a roundabout in Coatbridge as we were waiting to go round she came flying down the hill & smacked into my backside with her bar-ends & she hit the deck. :twisted:

Traffic organisation was ridiculous - first stop 50 yards from the start. Don't think Strathclyde's finest would even try that with the Great Scottish Run but they don't bother their backside with cycling.
    The first section of coned roads I think they put the cones out when they were pissed - way too far over to the left which narrowed the road a lot.

Realistically it'd be better if it was seeded based on estimated ride time ( it's what they do for the GSR) & you were given a designated start slot. I know it's meant to be a social ride but some of the riding out on the route was downright dangerous.
    My biggest gripe was getting made to get off & walk up a hill which made things even more congested.

The route never used to go past Decathlon - presume it was done to keep the sponsors happy.
  • Why were you made to walk up a hill.

Did anyone see the bare footed guy?
  • Or the guy with the beautiful bamboo bike?
  • Tusher
    I agree with Dougal- a designated start time would be far, far better.

My sister-in-law was seriously narked off at having to walk up a hill as well- person in front of her suddenly hauled on the brakes and she had no way to get round him.
  • Why were you made to walk up a hill.

Did anyone see the bare footed guy?

It was in Easterhouse of all places. I thought it was so the locals could get a clearer shot at us. :D
    Marshall at the bottom was blocking the road & bollocking people to dismount.

Guy walking beside us said last year that it there had been a couple fo spills there last year because people had lost their bottles when they hit the speed bumps prior to the hill as there's a downhill section just beforehand.
    Still caused chaos though as folk had to walk which meant the downhill where it would've thinned out naturally anyway (& on the climb for that matter0 were even more congested than they would've been. Utter bollocks tbh.
  • Elevation Gain: 5,592 ft

Just shows how GPS data can vary - my Garmin Edge 800 recorded 6,948 ft of gain :shock:

The weather wasn't quite as good as it had looked like being, with the wind getting stronger and colder as the day went on. But at least the rain was little more than a brief drizzle. I was glad I had bought leg warmers to go with my arm warmers as they stayed on the whole day in the end.

As for the first 2 years of the longer route, the overall organisation was good. But there are aspects which require improvement:

1) The transport from Edinburgh either needs to leave earlier or the event needs to start 15-30 minutes later from Glasgow. By the time the buses and bikes reach Glasgow Green and bikes are retrieved, it leaves precious little time to get ready for the start before the cut-off time for the long route. I was in the last group away (although I suspect a number of stragglers missed the last official group). Whilst it's not a race, it's a bit disheartening knowing that there's less chance of finding a group riding at your pace.

2) Although I was glad of a full 100 mile timed route this year, the extra mileage was largely on poor surfaces. The Right turn after Douglas (mentioned earlier) was very poorly surfaced and yet it actually had a cycle lane (poorly) marked on it. When combined with the strong wind, it was not a pleasant climb. If the organisers plan on using it again, I hope they do their best to campaign to have it re-surfaced, though I'm sure any success there would depend on how much use it gets the rest of the year.

3) Water and gel supplies were scarce at the final stop in Carnwath. Neither was a big issue for me as I was properly stocked up, but I did hear complaints. Either earlier riders had big hands and pockets or the demand was miscalculated for the Carnwath stop.

4) I couldn't find anyone handing out milk at the end this year! :(

5) A minor gripe is the medal this year isn't dated, nor is the ribbon. Maybe for cost-cutting, but surely a dated ribbon would have been possible as it's printed anyway and wouldn't result in much wasted money for unused ones.

Positives:

1) The marshalling in general was good as in the previous years, though I didn't get quite enough warning of a dangerous turn 8 miles in and suffered a rear blow-out on the badly rutted surface as I leaned into the turn. Controlled my snaking wheel and replaced the tube but Continental Force tyres are always time-consuming to remove/replace and I lost a lot of time.

2) Other than supplies running low at Carnwath, the feed stops were good again, with High5 gels, milk, water, energy bars and bananas as well as a nice selection of pasta and sandwiches at Douglas (which I spent too much time enjoying whilst trying to shelter from the cold wind!).

The Carmichael climb was once again a challenge by that stage of the ride and as usual there were lots of people choosing to walk up. Nice touch by the kids at the bottom offering chocolates to everyone, even though none of us in the group I was in at that point took any. Appreciated the friendly offer though. There's hope for UK kids yet! :D Nice banter with the family in their garden at the top too.

I wasn't happy with my finishing time though it was probably on par with previous efforts when the extra climbing is taken into account.

The whole experience was nearly ruined by a couple of *^^*%*%*%s in their little white van trying to repeatedly run me off the road just before the timing mat at the end of the route at Juniper Green. I had moved ahead on my own from a handful of other riders, with the other side of the road clear and straight, when the driver blasted his horn, drove alongside erratically then jammed his brakes on right in front of me, almost losing control in the process. He then proceeded to pull into a side street to take another run at me.

I eventually had to take to the pavement for my own safety with the driver swearing away and threatening further violence. I was too busy trying to stay alive to get his number unfortunately, and sadly there were no other riders to witness it, though the guys behind me had seen the van. I talked to the timing guys and the van occupants had shouted something unintelligible at them as they passed, so these were clearly anti-cyclist low-lifes, a waste of good oxygen. :x

On a final note, I wonder if the price is rising next year as the early bird price is only a saving of £3 on this year's full price

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • Had a blast and thought I could/should have posted a better time but was waiting on a mate so cest la vie. Poor points for me was Douglas climb road surface was terrible, one moment of my stupidity when I never let person know I was passing they pulled out and we were 3 a breast with a car passing.... My stupidity and sorry to all nearby. Cycling etiquette was overall good although did have 2 people draft me for about 3-4 miles and no intentions to come and share the workload... Tsk tsk.... But for my first sportive, loved it. Well done to all that took part