OT - best man speech

2»

Comments

• chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Thanks guys.

So I'm going to thank the bridesmaids (there aren't any which is a jumping off point for a hilarious joke), the parents and then say the bride looks stunning. Am I supposed to toast them or just thank them? I know to toast the bride and groom at the end.

I don't think there's anybody missing who I have to acknowledge.

Nervous now. Mainly worried about getting the sweats as that's how my nerves tend to manifest themselves.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Do,

Be clearly spoken and outgoing - beware that 'in' jokes sometimes don't get a laugh!

Don't,

Go on for 1 hour and 20 minutes when people are loaded up with booze - I went to a friends wedding who's best man is a barrister - at 1 hour 15 mins of 'in' jokes I just had to walk out to use the loo, I was going to pee into a pint glass otherwise - another 15 people followed me as I broke out! It was like exodus......
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    "Being asked to be a best man is very much like being asked to sleep with the Queen. You're very honoured, but you're not entirely sure you want to go through with it."
  • Don't want to blow my own trumpet. But I absolutely smashed it.

Relaxed after I got some early laughs and actually enjoyed it towards the end.

Thanks for your advice.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Don't want to blow my own trumpet. But I absolutely smashed it.

Thanks for your advice.

Glad to hear it.

I was best man for my brother, who had the misfortune to marry an American and the wedding was in Florida. I took an instant dislike to the bride (within less than 30 seconds I realised she was a wrong-un) and my brother is now getting a divorce.
    During my speech, I made a joke about my brother's time in the Territorial Army, and as the bride is a native of Florida with all of her family there, I said something about my brother defending the Canadian/Floridian border. All of the Brits chuckled politely at my poor joke but many/most/lots of the Yanks went crazy, with a whooping and a hollering and one idiot trying to start a chant of "U S A, U S A!"
    How stupid does a Floridian have to be to not know that Florida doesn't share a border with Canada?

Never under-estimate the stupidity Americans.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Don't want to blow my own trumpet. But I absolutely smashed it.

Thanks for your advice.

Well done mate, welcome to the club. 8)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Koncordski wrote:
    Well done mate, welcome to the club. 8)

I think the groom said something very similar to his bride on Sunday morning :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem