Mate booked a stag do activity that I hate- in 2 days- help!

LukeB
LukeB Posts: 78
edited September 2012 in The Crudcatcher
Serious question here. I'd normally ask over on singletrackworld, but some of the people it's about use it.

My stag do is on Saturday. It's been organised on the quiet so I knew when it was, but not what it was. Well, I just found out and it's something I absolutely hate.

I assume the correct thing to do here is lump it, rather than cancel it today and book something else (there is still the opportunity).

Opinions please!

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    What is it?

Probably just going to have to grin and bear it.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • LukeB
    It's paintballing.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The only consideration is whether you think everyone else will hate it? Stag do's aren't supposed to be about exactly what one person (even the Stag) wants to do, but a chance for you and your mates to get together before the wife outlaws this kind of laddish behaviour for ever more (it will happen).

For what its worth, I'd never pay for paintballing as I find it pointless and annoying, but I did enjoy my stag - which featured paintballing.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Its a stag do... your job is to be humiliated and generally made an arse of, my advice is to man up and drink as much as possible to dull the pain
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    easyone luke, go along, have the briefing etc ( you do know that everyone is going to try and shoot you as the stag don't you) go out into the game area and immediatly put your hands up and shoot gun jammed walk back to safe area with hands held high with arm band waving maddly in the air, how many times in the day you can get away with it I don't know, have a recky around the game play area find some where to hide out other games until end of game is called then just say I was defending the base.

hope this helps...
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Paintballing is one of them man things that were supposed to enjoy. I find it a bit sh1t as well. Just go, ignore the rules and go nuts with the gun shooting as many people in the balls as possible.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Or, buy some ammo the day before, stick em in the freezer overnight.. Cool box in the the morning, fill your gun, nail everybody else with them and then get off to the pub early whilst everyone else is probably in A & E :lol:
  • LukeB
    I suspect everyone else will enjoy it.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    LukeB wrote:
    I suspect everyone else will enjoy it.
    In that case, MTFU. :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • LukeB
    C0ll0's plan is basically what I did last time so I will stick with that I reckon.

Sad thing is I went to Laserquest last week and loved it. Somehow squatting in some rainy woods getting bruised and getting mouthfuls of paint and shit just isn't as good.
  • Paintballing can be fun, depends where you go though. The main reason I don't like it is that it costs too damn much. If your mates have the guns though, and you're off out into the countryside, then that could be fun.

You should bring it up in a conversation 'coincidentally' "....as long as I never go paintballing again. Last time I went, I had a paintball shoot straight up my ar$e and I needed surgery. Will never do that again....."
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • LukeB
    I accidentally mentioned I didn't like it last weekend before I knew what we were going to be doing- everyone I was with was coming on the do but no one let up.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    how can you not like paintballing? pussy :wink::lol:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    welshkev wrote:
    how can you not like paintballing? pussy :wink::lol:

+ potato

MTFU and hunt the b*****ds down and make them pay dearly.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    You should go, you should make sure your mates all end up in a ditch with their heads backwards. You should also pack a lime and some string for after paintballing, sideways fun, no mess tins. Also, everyone should dress as Maddie.

This is the crudcatcher, what zee fark happened in here? :roll:

Non cruddy response, go, MTFU, enjoy, shoot your mates, how can you not like it?
  • Are you just scared of getting shot by a ball of liquid or something? What's not to like about popping your buddies in nuts after a few drinks?
  • LukeB
    It isn't fear, I just really don't enjoy the experience.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    pilch wrote:
    Its a stag do... your job is to be humiliated and generally made an ars* of, my advice is to man up and drink as much as possible to dull the pain
    Very Much this.
    MTFU and get your best Mankini on for the experience.
    I had to wear a dress and clown shoes for mine.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Just grin and bear it. I can just about stand it for 1/2 a day, but it gets pretty tedious after a while so you have my sympathy.
  • Rucks
    Rucks Posts: 93
    Am sort of I'm the same situation as you but the other way round,
    It's my sisters fellas stag coming up and the best man has arranged a meal + pi$$ up and a stripper...
    Thing is the stag wants to go paint balling and has arranged another stag do himself so he can do what he wants to do (and me, much rather go paint balling).
    Why not do the same, do the paint balling and arrange a pi$$ up with the lads yourself, or even go after paint balling, we normally end up down the pub afterwards, puts everyone in a great mood and you can compare battle wounds.
  • LukeB wrote:
    It isn't fear, I just really don't enjoy the experience.

Well you could suggest going ballroom dancing or something similar if that suits you better?
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Just shoot the marshall's, that seemed to be a quick way to get thrown out when another group tried it when I was there.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Just go, you'll probably enjoy it more than you think.

I had to drop out of one of my best mates' stag dos, because his best man is a high-earning dentist, and decided that a ludicrously expensive long weekend, including a chartered flight would be a great idea. A handful of particularly wealthy folk jumped at the idea, leaving the other 80-odd percent of his mates thinking "yeah... whatever. We'll just share a beer with him when he gets back".

NOTHING is more annoying that someone trying to "convince" you..
    "Hey, it's not that expensive, I know some of you guys aren't high earners. It's only going to be like, 4 or 5 grand for the weekend. And then just spends on top of that, it's fukkall really" :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Paintballing - fun for 15 year olds with parents rich enough to buy them bucket loads of ammo and fancy guns. Sad but enjoyed by the 40-something office workers who do the same thinking they're hard army types. Annoying as hell for the rest of society that get dragged along on "team building" days, 40th/50th birthdays, or stag dos.

Always makes me think of the paintball episode of Drop the Dead Donkey, though that was funny. Just so typical of such paintball events. Does absolutely nothing to build teams, just makes you hate your colleagues even more.

And yes, I've done paintball. Hated it.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    deadkenny wrote:
    Paintballing - fun for 15 year olds with parents rich enough to buy them bucket loads of ammo and fancy guns. Sad but enjoyed by the 40-something office workers who do the same thinking they're hard army types. Annoying as hell for the rest of society that get dragged along on "team building" days, 40th/50th birthdays, or stag dos.

Always makes me think of the paintball episode of Drop the Dead Donkey, though that was funny. Just so typical of such paintball events. Does absolutely nothing to build teams, just makes you hate your colleagues even more.

You're dead inside ;)
  • LukeB
    deadkenny wrote:

'Zackly.

Mind you, I didn't like it when I was 15.
  • deadkenny wrote:

Much more fun if you can pick a buddy and re-enact the episode of Spaced, it's great fun then :lol:
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    LukeB wrote:
    'Zackly.

Mind you, I didn't like it when I was 15.

My winge-o-meter is giving readings in excess of 7.4 Alonsos.

Go. Try and enjoy yourself, and stop being so bloody dowdy. It's a stag do, not a life sentence. :lol:

Case closed. 8)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od9EdcDcByA

It's not all about playing army in the woods! There are freaks like me...

If you get stuck in properly you won't really feel the hits until the day after!
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.