Bit O' Help....

WarlKicken
WarlKicken Posts: 224
Afternoon All,

My current situation: (Hi! By the way, relatively new to this forum).

I train pretty much everyday to keep fit and keep the weight off (yeah I got some issues n that). I am 5'10, 31inch waist, weighing in at 64kg, I consider myself 'lean'. I did a Summer of triathlon last year and suffered massively on the bike. My goal over Winter is to get half decent on the bike, now my advantage is that I love cycling. I get out most weekends for at least an hour usually more than that and I live down in Kent so I have the choice of hills or flats which is ace. Currently on my SCOTT Speedster S40 but halfway to getting a Pinarello because I love the look and I can :P ALSO a decent motivator for when the weather decides to be miserable.

I commute to and from the station (3.8km each way). Morning consists of commuting, 20km on a WATTbike, either spinning or 20km again after work and then a commute home. Long ol' day. Spinning is Okay but I never really feel benefits other than fitness. I average about 185w over 20km but usually somewhere around 175w with some 520w peak when I wana smash it for a while. I have no real training program other than that Mon-Fri (usually 10km in the morning Wed and nothing in the evening for a bit of rest). I've been doing this for about 3years now. Weekends usually get a long ride in Sundays 60-70kms.

Couple of things:

- Could someone explain the best way to benefit from a WATTbike :-D It has two different resistances and I usually smash the left dial to about 3/4 and then the magnet one I play with anywhere from 4-7(max) for climbing n stuff.
- Need some decent ways of spicing up my sessions (I have been reading though the forums, this isn't just a post without research but wanted to gauge your response from my current levels).

I am basically not outputting much power, which frustrates. My main 'aim', if I was to have one' would be to get good on the hills. I love getting up a hill but it can take me sometime and I usually get left behind if I'm out with pals, then the embarrassment as I catch up at the top.

One last thing. After reading some of the hours you chaps put in I was stunned. I must do a good hour in the gym plus my 20min commute 5 days a week. Then a good hour or so out on the bike Sat, followed by a few hours on Sunday. You chaps are smashing about 12-15hrs a week. I have absolutely nothing in the tank that could suggest I could put out anymore! I worry I overtrain or need a decent rest. I don't rest that much and I think that could be what where I am struggling.....suggestions? (sounds stupid and I know 'listen to the body' but just wondering thoughts.)...

Cheers for any response and reading. Thoroughly enjoyed some of your posts by the way.

Warl!

Comments

• WarlKicken
    ...just to add....

At one point in my original post I put "long ol' day", this actually refers to my day as a whole. I am up at 04:20 and commuting by 04:45, I then don't usually get back into my house until about 19:00 and usually hit the hay about 22:00...before it all starts again.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    WarlKicken wrote:
    ...just to add....

At one point in my original post I put "long ol' day", this actually refers to my day as a whole. I am up at 04:20 and commuting by 04:45, I then don't usually get back into my house until about 19:00 and usually hit the hay about 22:00...before it all starts again.

So....a 24 hour day then :?:
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    You said you did triathlon this year, so there was running and swimming training on top of that?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I think you need to sit down and think deeply about whether you really want to get better on the bike.
    Obviously, whatever you are doing now, is not cutting it.
    A bit of random commuting and even more random indoor cycling is not getting you results is it? no matter how you pretend it is 'training'.

I don't have any cures as reading thru what is your day, I don't know where you are going to fit an hour's worth of committed bike training in, plus everything else you have to fit in your life.

Personally, I devote weektime sessions for developing tolerance to the higher power zones and their associated hurt and a weekend ride to get some substantial miles in at tempo pace.... if I am not racing.
  • WarlKicken
    phreak wrote:
    You said you did triathlon this year, so there was running and swimming training on top of that?

Yeah man, swam 2km a day as well and ran a good portion as well. I am light and my swim and run times are nothing to worry about, it's the bike...
  • WarlKicken
    JGSI wrote:
    I think you need to sit down and think deeply about whether you really want to get better on the bike.
    Obviously, whatever you are doing now, is not cutting it.
    A bit of random commuting and even more random indoor cycling is not getting you results is it? no matter how you pretend it is 'training'.

I don't have any cures as reading thru what is your day, I don't know where you are going to fit an hour's worth of committed bike training in, plus everything else you have to fit in your life.

Personally, I devote weektime sessions for developing tolerance to the higher power zones and their associated hurt and a weekend ride to get some substantial miles in at tempo pace.... if I am not racing.

Probably right man. 'Training' is what I call it. I get in about 40kms a day on top of my commute which I never consider any form of training (even though I try beating my time home every day :D). I do want to get better at climbing hills. Biking is a passion of mine, although I have no real urge to get out racing at all at the moment. I'd just like to last longer on my rides and get my cadence up higher.

Just though, good post. I like a bloke that doesn't mince his words. Top Effort
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Have you done a 20 minute power test? If not, you need to do a 20 minute power test. Let's call this step 1.

Then you need to do some training where you work hard and sweat and hurt afterwards. This training comes in a variety of flavours, but it hurts and takes a lot of time. This is step 2.

Then you do another 20 minute power test and revel in the improvement. (yep, step 1 again)

Then you repeat steps 1 and 2. If you don't get better, change step 2 to a different flavour.
  • mike101
    mike101 Posts: 42
    GiantMike wrote:
    Have you done a 20 minute power test? If not, you need to do a 20 minute power test. Let's call this step 1.

Then you need to do some training where you work hard and sweat and hurt afterwards. This training comes in a variety of flavours, but it hurts and takes a lot of time. This is step 2.

Then you do another 20 minute power test and revel in the improvement. (yep, step 1 again)

Then you repeat steps 1 and 2. If you don't get better, change step 2 to a different flavour.

+1
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Arn't Watt bikes really expensive? if they are and you have cash to spare - get a good coach or at least some good books to read - sure someone can add to the list but time crunched cyclist might be one, Training bible another ?
  • WarlKicken
    Arn't Watt bikes really expensive? if they are and you have cash to spare - get a good coach or at least some good books to read - sure someone can add to the list but time crunched cyclist might be one, Training bible another ?

Ah no, I have an expensive gym....cannot afford a WATTbike or decent PT. Saving for a PINA though :D bit of Winter encouragement.
  • WarlKicken
    GiantMike wrote:

I did a 15km test yesterday, avg 204w :(

"I cannae make it cap'in, I doon't hiv tha p'wer" - I am pretty sure my legs were screaming that.

I sweat loads but can't say I 'hurt' after a session. I just work to a point where my legs are out of energy altogether. Probably my main issue is lack of energy but I never know a decent thing to eat that's healthy and will give me smash, smash power.

My legs have no power at all. Cycled 28kms to a town away from mine at the weekend (and back) on the way out I avg 32kph. It's building quads up I think and then bashing some endurance into them. Got a bit unfit since my tri's last year :D
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    So the ultimate goal is more power?

a VO2MAX session a week should help with that..........
  • GiantMike
    WarlKicken wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    ...stuff...

I sweat loads but can't say I 'hurt' after a session. I just work to a point where my legs are out of energy altogether. Probably my main issue is lack of energy but I never know a decent thing to eat that's healthy and will give me smash, smash power.

My legs have no power at all. Cycled 28kms to a town away from mine at the weekend (and back) on the way out I avg 32kph. It's building quads up I think and then bashing some endurance into them. Got a bit unfit since my tri's last year :D

Right then, that's a good start. If we use the 15km test as a proxy for a 20 min power test, we'll assume your 60 minute power is around 200W. So let's use 200W as your FTP (functional threshold power, or what you should be able to sustain for an hour). This is step 1 complete (easy isn't it?)

Step 2 then. According to several sources, the most effective way to train for easy results is 'sweetspot' training (around 90% of FTP). So, for you this would be something like 1 hour at 180W. There are also gains to be made from 2x20min sessions at FTP, so for you that would be 2 sessions of 20 mins at 200W, with a 5-10 min recovery interval between.

Now you know your FTP (or at least have an approx figure from your 15 km test) you can start to do specific training to target weaknesses. There are literally MILLIONS of interval sessions based on FTP.
  • WarlKicken
    GiantMike wrote:
    WarlKicken wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:
    ...stuff...

Right then, that's a good start. If we use the 15km test as a proxy for a 20 min power test, we'll assume your 60 minute power is around 200W. So let's use 200W as your FTP (functional threshold power, or what you should be able to sustain for an hour). This is step 1 complete (easy isn't it?)

Step 2 then. According to several sources, the most effective way to train for easy results is 'sweetspot' training (around 90% of FTP). So, for you this would be something like 1 hour at 180W. There are also gains to be made from 2x20min sessions at FTP, so for you that would be 2 sessions of 20 mins at 200W, with a 5-10 min recovery interval between.

Now you know your FTP (or at least have an approx figure from your 15 km test) you can start to do specific training to target weaknesses. There are literally MILLIONS of interval sessions based on FTP.

Amazing ThankYou. That 2x20 (or 2x15km) sounds pretty good. I think doable and would definitely make me hurt.
  • GiantMike
    And don't forget to warm up and cool down. Have a drink available.

Make sure you're well-nourished too. A lot of riders try to eat less when they train because they want to lose weight. You don't have a weight issue and not being well-nourished will stop you being able to achieve your session goals. At the end of the day, food and drink are fuel for the machine, and the machine doesn't get better/stronger unless it's stressed by exercise.
  • WarlKicken
    GiantMike wrote:
    And don't forget to warm up and cool down. Have a drink available.

Make sure you're well-nourished too. A lot of riders try to eat less when they train because they want to lose weight. You don't have a weight issue and not being well-nourished will stop you being able to achieve your session goals. At the end of the day, food and drink are fuel for the machine, and the machine doesn't get better/stronger unless it's stressed by exercise.

Oh Mr.GiantMike, if there was a nail, anywhere, you've just hit it square on the head. I really under nourish myself (not intentionally) but in fear of gaining weight. I were a bigger chap three years ago and shed a load to get me down to somewhere I feel comfy and slim....then I kept going into a position I could have applied for a job as the GrimReaper. Luckily I saved myself from that, decided not to go for the job and got my weight back up to a barmy 64kg. It's tough to decide what to eat where I can be sure I won't gain a bucky load round the waist. Can you just put food in your legs? :D