What do I need in my cave?

13»

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    jedster wrote:
    oh and a remote controlled roller door with a key pad for when you've lost all the remotes
    just had one put in
    life changing event
    (oh alright may have strayed into hyperbole there)

I'm not having a roller door. It's got traditional wooden double doors. Lovely.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Big, f*ck-off locks on every door/window/etc. and land-anchors for the bikes.
    How useful are the land anchors in practice?

Once someone's gained access to your cave, they have a secluded environment in which to work, and most probably access to a decent selection of tools and mains power. Better to put the extra effort into keeping them out in the first place, or putting in a big noisy alarm?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    TGOTB wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:

Once someone's gained access to your cave, they have a secluded environment in which to work, and most probably access to a decent selection of tools and mains power. Better to put the extra effort into keeping them out in the first place, or putting in a big noisy alarm?

If the chains and anchors are of a suitable material (e.g. nitriding steel) then they're still not going to make their way through them in a hurry.

IR activated cameras?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    A rottweiler or two :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Disagree on the mattock, a pillar drill makes you look serious a mattock makes you look like a navvy.

I can recommend one of these for storage : Storage 1 nice deep drawers. I also have a five drawer box on top but Halfrauds don't seem to do that anymore. If you keep an eye out they go on sale every so often. My trolley cost me 189.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    How about a homebrew kit? You can fix bikes and brew ale at the same time!

Thats my plan anyway...
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    DesWeller wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:

If the chains and anchors are of a suitable material (e.g. nitriding steel) then they're still not going to make their way through them in a hurry.

IR activated cameras?

TGOTB - Good point, but I'd still put them in as it may just be enough to mean the bikes stay mine and don't appear on Gumtree.

I remember someone suggesting an electrified 'shocker' system on a shed security thread - maybe that's the way to go?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Monkeypump wrote:
    I remember someone suggesting an electrified 'shocker' system on a shed security thread - maybe that's the way to go?
    Simply hooking something up to the mains, even inside your garage, is probably going end up with some scrote suing you for damages instead of riding off on your bicycle. I have wondered about connecting an electric fence power supply to the garage door though; that wouldn't actually cause injuries, would it?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    I don't think it needs to cause injury to be classed as some sort of assault. If you wire up your garage door anyone who touches it will get a shock. Presumably not everyone who touches your garage door is a thief? Kids, emergency services etc
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I always fancied some sort of IR-activated pressurised methyl blue spray, located at the entry points. Dyes the skin very effectively.

Downside is one day you just know you'll forget to disarm the system before opening the door...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Anyone mentioned a toilet so you don't need to go into the house to ablout your doings?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Paul E wrote:
    Anyone mentioned a toilet so you don't need to go into the house to ablout your doings?

Not going to happen.

However, was at a mates house at the weekend and I realised I absolutely need a fire pit and an outdoor pizza oven to go with the BBQ.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Asprilla wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

Not going to happen.

However, was at a mates house at the weekend and I realised I absolutely need a fire pit and an outdoor pizza oven to go with the BBQ.

As Meatloaf once said, two outta three ain't bad. However, SWMBO has vetoed my request for outdoor pizza oven.