Hybrid for fast road use..

2»

Comments

• I'd rather opt for a touring or Audax bike than a 'hybrid'; they have most of the benefits (rack mounts, bigger tyres, etc), with the addition of drop bars.

That's not to say that flat bars are unworthy of road cycling. The bike that got me into cycling was (and is) a scrappy old Raleigh bought for commuting. It's a great bike, actually, but not at all intended for speed. Nevertheless it helped me to catch the bug, and I achieved some good speeds and times while that was my only bike. I did get faster in the months after I got a drop bar bike, but I also became a better cyclist, and hopefully continue to do so. The engine is most important!
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Mikey23 wrote:
    @skooter ... have a defy 4 and am well pleased with it. entry level but very good reviews and a nice ride. defy 3 is same frame with better mechs i believe
    I got a Defy 4 for my commute - yes, it is heavier than expensive racers, but it is built like a tank with the result I don't worry about damaging it, and maintenance has been minimal. Good value for what you get.

Could you tell me where the defy 2 compact stands in the equation.. better not as good, the reason I asked was in some poll it was about 4th highest selling bike..
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,911
    skooter wrote:
    Could you tell me where the defy 2 compact stands in the equation.. better not as good, the reason I asked was in some poll it was about 4th highest selling bike..
    It's a better bike than the 4, going by price - I guess it's quite a bit lighter, with better components. Other than that I'm clueless. Well, I'm pretty clueless generally.
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    skooter wrote:
    It's a better bike than the 4, going by price - I guess it's quite a bit lighter, with better components. Other than that I'm clueless. Well, I'm pretty clueless generally.

I did see the Defy 2 in an advert on a Spanish web site but they have not yet answered my email.. and it was about £40 pounds cheaper than I can buy it in the UK.. so it would be right on my doorstep..