A project for next summer...

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Right - here it is;

After seeing the Superstar Components Stan's Flow deal and the Stiff.co.uk Domain 318 deal (funnily enough both £200) it has got me thinking...

...the project would be to "build up a big hitting all mountain/enduro ride"

The lifts near me are only open for about 10 weeks in the summer but there are still obviously plenty of DH and just plain gnarly trails to ride from beginning of May through October (when the snows not there) - it's just a question of getting to them

The Rockhopper can get to them with no trouble and definitely gives an exhilarating ride down but you can't really let go on what's basically still (even with all the upgrades) a 6yr old, XC hardtail. And there's no way the Session can climb up 1,000m of vert - well it can..I can't :shock:

The frame of choice would be the Nukeproof Mega as these can be got for less then £600 new, will take a 180mm fork and I figure a grand for brand new frame, fork and wheels all of very good quality would be a decent platform to start from

But the question is, should I be looking at/for anything else? New or used, £600 max. (preferably less) Bearing in mind #1 - that's a fairly heavy but probably bomb proof 180mm coil fork #2 - it would need to be a dual-ring set-up and #3 - would be the bike to do next years Mega with me (and possibly the Trans-Provence in 2014)

Any ideas appreciated
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• Where have you seen the mega for that price?
  • felix.london
    I could tell you but then I'd have to hunt you down and kill you...

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london

Trek Session 8
  • Cheers....I think... :shock:
  • felix.london
    Ha! At that price..it doesn't look like anything else can touch it really.

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    Kona Stinky?

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    You wont want to ride up hill on a Stinky.

I'd be more inclined to go for a shorter travel enduro style bike for alpine riding. The Mega would be great but I wouldnt pair it to such a heavy 180mm fork - first off the frame is aimed at 150-170 in any case - I'd be inclined to go for a long travel air fork to match to the air shock. I know the Domains are a bargain but cheap doesnt make right.

I watched and enjoyed this video the other day http://www.pinkbike.com/news/VideoNukeproof-Mega--All-Mountain-Adventure-2012.html shows the Mega in action - looks like Al Bond has lyrics on his - I'd be tempted by a U turn Lyrik to geta nice low front end for alpine ups.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • felix.london
    I'm hearin ya but if this happens the whole idea of the project would be to build up something comparatively cheap, fairy useful and pretty unique from those wheels & forks and just see what I end up with. Would probably be a 10-12 month build - depending on work & funds available etc

Just been chattin to a guy on Pinkbike with the same set up who says it climbs surprisingly well and is obviously a ripper on the way down

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum
    The Mega is on my list of possible AM bikes to me next year- the Pro model with 1x 10 would seem to fit the bill for me as a bike park and trail cross over bike with my hardtail spare to cover light xc duties and I will sell my heckler and big hit. Wish I could afford it now as on sale its a bargain as is the frame only at CRC.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'm surprised you went that long riding the alps on just a Rockhopper...
    But yeah, I wouldn't put a Domain on there if you want to ride up hills. See if you can get a used lyrik, or maybe go for Sektors or something. Domains weigh a ton.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • felix.london
    tbh - I love the Rockhopper over there - it's my go to bike. It's heavily upgraded to the point where the only original part on it is the frame everything else is fairly top spec & less than 18 months old. I've made into more of a 12kg Alpine XC/AM machine

It can get anywhere on my local mountains and can get down pretty much anything but after a summer on the DH bike, hitting jumps & drops and just plain rippin! I wouldn't mind something in between the two to give me a bit of a DH fix until the lifts open...in TEN MONTHS!! :cry:

But like I say - this is a bike that I don't need and if it happens would be more of a project to see what I can put together new for cheap rather than trying to build the perfect bike for a specific job

Trek Session 8
  • paul.skibum
    Well, In for a penny, in for a pound. You are talking a grand already for frame, wheels and fork - call it 1500 for a bike - 2k gets you the actual bike you want rather than a compromise - I suggest that is an extra 500 well spent!
  • felix.london
    Yeah, yeah - I know all that boring (sensible) stuff but I'm not the sort of guy that can put £200 a way each month - much easier to buy bits when you can - maybe the whole project will take a couple of years, who knows (if I go ahead with it) - plus with those forks I wouldn't have problem selling them and getting my money back or more - reckon I could get €300 for them 'round my way (things are expensive in the Alps)

Also you (well me anyway) have much more love for a bike you have built yourself and can build it how you want it and you know no one will have exactly the same set-up - I like that

Anyway - £500 sounds like a good saving to me - that's a winter and summer lift pass or half the 2014 Trans Provence entry fee :wink:

..but yeah I do hear ya of course

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    Also - that fork would be a perfect emergency backup should my Boxxers explode one summer :shock:

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    Well, I suppose you could do worse than putting a domain on there, would just be a bit weighty.

As for the rockhopper, it would just scare me going down some alpine descents! I was scared on some of them on my downhill bike! :lol:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • felix.london
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Well, I suppose you could do worse than putting a domain on there, would just be a bit weighty.

As for the rockhopper, it would just scare me going down some alpine descents! I was scared on some of them on my downhill bike! :lol:

With the Domains & Flows on it it'd come out about 0.5kg heavier than the fully built 'Comp' version - if all the rest of the kit was like for like - Saw a blinding deal on a carbon handlebar the other day but forgot where!

The Rockhopper is all I had last season so I just got used to it. It's actually good fun on the DH trails just stick to the blue runs and try and avoid the braking bumps, no problem doing >1,000m vert climbs and it's absolutely awesome for shredding the single track too. I love it.

Trek Session 8
  • ilovedirt
    Fair enough, I'm more of a fan of the steep techy stuff out there :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Is the fork a definite buy? How about an Titus El Guapo from On One, £600 with RS Monarch shock or £800 with CC double barrel shock. Designed around 150/160mm fork but might be able to run it with something longer.
  • felix.london
    jairaj wrote:
    Is the fork a definite buy? How about an Titus El Guapo from On One, £600 with RS Monarch shock or £800 with CC double barrel shock. Designed around 150/160mm fork but might be able to run it with something longer.

Yeah - reckon I'll grab the fork this week. Think it's a good buy.

Think the geo on the Mega is more what I'm after (slacker but with steeper seat tube). Also Nukeproof actually state the frame is designed for a 150-180mm fork

Cheers.

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    Any ideas why the Nukeproof site only lists S, M & L (Mega)

Yet all the online shops only list S, M & XL ? (although the M's seem to be disappearing fast) Are the L & XL the same size? :?

Btw - just found an S in silver for £560 from Italy...cheap

Trek Session 8
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Hmmm... the german website you linked to says the Mega is suited to 150-170 forks... I genuinely have no idea if another 10mm will make much difference, but the warranty probably wouldn't cover it...
  • felix.london
    Hmmm... the german website you linked to says the Mega is suited to 150-170 forks... I genuinely have no idea if another 10mm will make much difference, but the warranty probably wouldn't cover it...

From Nukeproof's site;
    http://www.nukeproof.com/en/frames/mega-frame

"Recommended Fork length - 160-180mm travel with Internal bottom cup 44IISS, 150-170mm with External bottom cup 44IETS, 44IESS or 44EE0S"

ya get me? :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • The mega frame is only designed to take a 180mm fork with an internal bottom cup, and I'm pretty sure you can't run a 1.5" steerer in a 44mm headtube with an internal bottom cup so you would void the warranty if you did (someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong). You might be able to shorten the domain to 170mm, but I know very little about rockshox so I can't be sure.
  • felix.london
    The mega frame is only designed to take a 180mm fork with an internal bottom cup, and I'm pretty sure you can't run a 1.5" steerer in a 44mm headtube with an internal bottom cup so you would void the warranty if you did (someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong). You might be able to shorten the domain to 170mm, but I know very little about rockshox so I can't be sure.

I think you might be right there. Looking at those Nukeproof headset models. I'm presuming;

44IISS = Internal top, Internal bottom, Straight Steerer
    44IETS = Internal top, External bottom, Tapered Steerer
    44IESS = Internal top, External bottom, Straight Steerer
    44EE0S = External top, External bottom, Oversived Steerer

Therefore the 1.5" steerer will only fit in the 44EEOS with an external bottom cup...hmmm, well spotted.

But I think the Domain can be stepped down to a 160mm but I'm not sure...will investigate.

Thanks for that

Trek Session 8
  • yeah you would need the 44EEOS, which would invalidate the frame warranty with a 180mm fork.
  • felix.london
    yeah you would need the 44EEOS, which would invalidate the frame warranty with a 180mm fork.

Emailed NP - so we'll see what they suggest

And I guess that's gonna be the same with any frame/head tube? i.e. an internal bottom cup BB is a no-no with a 1.5" steeer

So I presume I'm gonna be limited to bigger DH/FR frames...unless the fork can be reduced to 160-170mm or I just go for it with the Mega...never been one to conform to rules anyway :wink:

Trek Session 8
  • jairaj
    And I guess that's gonna be the same with any frame/head tube? i.e. an internal bottom cup BB is a no-no with a 1.5" steeer

So I presume I'm gonna be limited to bigger DH/FR frames...unless the fork can be reduced to 160-170mm or I just go for it with the Mega...never been one to conform to rules anyway :wink:

I thinks its any frame which takes an 44mm internal cup cannot be used with a 1.5" steerer. I think the larger size 49mm cups are suitable for 1.5" steerer.

Regarding using the longer fork. The frame might be strong enough to handle it. But you're already slackening the geo by using the upper end of the recommendation and then adding some more. It could end up handling like a dog.

Surely you are running the danger of creating a bike that is not much different to your DH bike?
  • felix.london
    My thoughts exactly. Although apparently they ride and even climb OK with that combo - I'm not convinced. Looking at other frames now.

Trek Session 8
  • jairaj
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you where trying to build an enduro kinda bike?

I think the frame is fine. I think the forks are too long and need changing. Something around 150/160 would still allow you to take on steep rough terrain but steepen the angles a bit to make the bike more manoeuvrable and give a different feel compared to your downhill bike.

I think most frames designed around 180mm are going to feel like a mini downhill bike rather than a do it all bike which I think is what you are going for?