650b... next big thing or just another gimmick?

13»

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Like I say I'd love to test ride all three wheel sizes on similarly oriented bikes back to back on the same trail and see if I could tell the difference, feel the benefits and so on. Be great if it was a varied track with roots, flat sections, berms, jumps, tight corners, climbs etc etc to try out all aspects in one short section. I guess a route like the Wall or Penhydd would be a good test track actually.
    I think thats what is needed for most people.
    I know that a 29er works for me, but that said i'm still going to buy another 26" bike to "play on"
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Like I say I'd love to test ride all three wheel sizes on similarly oriented bikes back to back on the same trail and see if I could tell the difference, feel the benefits and so on. Be great if it was a varied track with roots, flat sections, berms, jumps, tight corners, climbs etc etc to try out all aspects in one short section. I guess a route like the Wall or Penhydd would be a good test track actually.
    I know that a 29er makes me look gay so I'm going to buy another 26" bike to "play on"

FTFY
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    :) .
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • VWsurfbum
    Angry Bird wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    I know that a 29er makes me look gay so I'm going to buy another 26" bike to "play on"

FTFY
    Watch it birdy! when you coming to play in the dirt at Epping?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • angry_bird
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:
    VWsurfbum wrote:

FTFY
    Watch it birdy! when you coming to play in the dirt at Epping?

Got another couple of weeks messing about around Cannock yet before I have to head down, in fact I think I'm moving in a fortnight today.
  • VWsurfbum
    up your way on sunday (cannock) with other Epping frequenters.

Anyway back on topic, My29er will be against three 26" bikes on sunday, we all shall be recording our ride, i'll post on strava the results :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • angry_bird
    Might see you around up there, planning on going up one day this weekend (don't know which yet as it depends when I can get the car).
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I don't give a damn what different wheel sizes can do and how each is supposedly better. I have a bike, I like the way it rides, I'm more than happy with it and have no intention of changing it. As long as I can still get the tyres I like in 26 inch and can replace the rims if I bust them I'm happy.

The biggest issue I have with the massive take off of 29ers and 650b is the risk that manufacturers forget about 26 and we see a reduced availibility and/or choice of bits that fit, so forks, tyres and rims really.
    Couldn't agree more!
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Horses for courses innit?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I heard a conversation in the glentress cafe, that went a bit like this:

"I'm definately going to get a 650b bike next, it's got all the advantages of a 29er without the drawbacks"
    "Do the bigger wheels not still have some of the drawbacks?"
    "Nah, because I'll fit lower profile tyres to it"

Hang on- you just invented the 26 inch wheel!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • VWsurfbum
    Oh god, i'll informed puppy :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Northwind wrote:
    I heard a conversation in the glentress cafe, that went a bit like this:

"I'm definitely going to get a 650b bike next, it's got all the advantages of a 29er without the drawbacks"
    "Do the bigger wheels not still have some of the drawbacks?"
    "Nah, because I'll fit lower profile tyres to it"

Hang on- you just invented the 26 inch wheel!

The marketeers will love this!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Oh god, i'll informed puppy :roll:
    what?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Ill as in poorly.
  • Northwind
    I find that refreshing- generally speaking, the problem is people leaving apostrophes out, rather than randomly adding them. Perhaps this'll restore balance to the grammar.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Chunkers1980
    Why are you not a mod any more?
  • Northwind
    Me? I totally am. It's just hard to tell because I'm very lazy
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Chunkers1980
    Yeah, you've lost your redness.

<mod edit- it's true, I haven't got a good redness in me any more :( >
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Northwind wrote:
    I find that refreshing- generally speaking, the problem is people leaving apostrophes out, rather than randomly adding them. Perhaps this'll restore balance to the grammar.
    I think you're being far too optimistic. Ive seen missing ones, I've seen ones' that shouldn't be there, and some idiot's just pepper all their posts' with them willy' nilly.
  • Chunkers1980
    You missed should'nt
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I did'nt!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You have'nt got any good couldnt's in you.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I was chatting to a guy in the LBS the other day (plumbing his mind for AM bike info) he was saying he is a 29er evangelist but admitted tight turns were the bain of his existence and he found himself avoiding some trails because he knew they would be tricky.

He was singing the praises of the Rocky Altitude for next year with 650b on though - he was suggesting it could be just the thing for what I was loking for (I want a AM bike that can do the odd day in the bike park) - I didn't want to slap him int he face. But I did anyway.

A 650B for a bike park - wash your mouth out.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • You have'nt got any good couldnt's in you.

I woul'dnt
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I tried a 29er yesterday a Scott and I have to say it felt like a bike. There was no sign of me becoming a better rider unfortunately.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Did it taste and sound like a bike too?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Did it taste and sound like a bike too?

It had SRAM gears and Avid brakes so it certainly squealed and clunked like a bike with Sram kit. Otherwise it was just a bike, if I had got on blindfolded I doubt I could have told you what size wheels it had.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap