Was it the Jam sandwiches

AlahDamIt
AlahDamIt Posts: 44
Got home from work had a quick small curry and decided to go out, thought id grab a Jam sarnie (first time ever), the result was I did my quick 7 mile run at 17mph rather than the normal 15mph (it is hilly) I don't think it was the food ive been hitting a 3.5 mile hill with a 1300ft climb 6 times over the last 2 week.

The real question is climbing out of the seat hurts after a very short period of time (20 seconds) other than just keep going through the pain a bit longer each time, is there a better method of extending the time until it hurt like hell.
Bianchi infinito 2012
Specialized Secteur

Comments

• willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    Graeme Obree only eats bread and jam.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    A jelly bean would do for 7 mile, a curry and a jam sandwich would cover a ton.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    AlahDamIt wrote:
    The real question is climbing out of the seat hurts after a very short period of time (20 seconds) other than just keep going through the pain a bit longer each time, is there a better method of extending the time until it hurt like hell.

Quote...other than just keep going through the pain a bit longer each time

You obviously know the answer.

Quote....is there a better method of extending the time

No
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    AlahDamIt wrote:
    Double up on the jam sarnies and you'll go twice as far before you wilt :wink:

Seriously, anyone who mocks jam sarnies is missing a trick or two about cost-effective race/event fuelling.

When climbing out of the saddle what I do is try to count in 4s of pedal revs so I'm not thinking about how long. I find that putting more weight on the bars and not using as much bodyweight to turn the pedals means I can pedal for longer before I have to sit down. If you practice on familiar climbs you will know if you're improving, but don't expect it to happen overnight.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Simon E wrote:
    AlahDamIt wrote:
    Double up on the jam sarnies and you'll go twice as far before you wilt :wink:

Seriously, anyone who mocks jam sarnies is missing a trick or two about cost-effective race/event fuelling.

When climbing out of the saddle what I do is try to count in 4s of pedal revs so I'm not thinking about how long. I find that putting more weight on the bars and not using as much bodyweight to turn the pedals means I can pedal for longer before I have to sit down. If you practice on familiar climbs you will know if you're improving, but don't expect it to happen overnight.
    Doesn't your back wheel spin?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Herbsman wrote:
    Doesn't your back wheel spin?
    Ha ha, I wish!

Or are you saying that jam sarnies cause wheelspin?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.