Sportives?

dormer88
dormer88 Posts: 110
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
Is a racing license/membership required?

Many thanks

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Nein
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    A sportive is not a race
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The benefit of taking out BC Membership, or membership to other bodies (CTC / LVRC) is you get 3rd Party Insurance i.e. if you are involved in an incident or claim, then the insurance will provide you access to legal services. The insurance you pay for a Sportive entry is to protect the event organiser, not you as an individual.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I joined British Cycling recently, mainly for the insurance and the fact that it is half price with the voucher code.

£12 seems like really good value to me.

Here is a link to the original thread.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12871524&hilit=british+cycling

Regards
    CP
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    A sportive is not a race
    I'm not sure that the organisers of Sportives would agree with that statement.

I saw some sportive riders out this morning so looked up the event. The organiser has the results listed here.

I thought that the etiquette was to not list finishers ordered by the fastest time? Entrants have a "Race number", those who didn't start are listed as "Pre-race withdrawal" and those who didn't finish "Withdrawn during race".

Perhaps sportive riders are right to consider that they're racing?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    fish156 wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    A sportive is not a race
    I'm not sure that the organisers of Sportives would agree with that statement.

I saw some sportive riders out this morning so looked up the event. The organiser has the results listed here.

I thought that the etiquette was to not list finishers ordered by the fastest time? Entrants have a "Race number", those who didn't start are listed as "Pre-race withdrawal" and those who didn't finish "Withdrawn during race".

Perhaps sportive riders are right to consider that they're racing?

No they're not right to consider they are racing.. you've just provided an example of a dodgy sportive provider.. that doesn't mean that sportives are all races?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    If you are given a number and are timed, it's a race.

The only reason its not 'a race' is because there's a hell of alot of loops for the orgainisers to jump through if they want to call it a race.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    From cyclosport.......
    Let’s start with a phrase you’ll become very familiar with if you get into riding sportives. “It’s not a race”. You’ll probably hear this said during the riders’ briefing at the start, followed by a smattering of derisive laughter because, as with any sporting event, some people always treat them as a race and everyone knows that.

On a more serious note though, they’re not races, because using the word “race” for cycling on the road triggers all sorts of legal, health and safety, and insurance issues, which would involve getting the police and local authorities involved and making organising such events prohibitively difficult. If you’re interested in racing on your bike, then sportives are not for you.

There are real reasons why sportives aren't races, those riders who treat them like races are irresponsable, to themselves and other road users.

real races have marshalls, outriders, warning signs etc etc to warn the public and other road users that a RACE is taking place, sportives have none of this, and those treating them as races are putting themselves and the public at elevated risk.

If you want to ride sportives, ride sportives, if you want to race, do it properly and race.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Peat wrote:
    The only reason its not 'a race' is because there's a hell of alot of loops for the orgainisers to jump through if they want to call it a race.

And because it's a criminal offence for both the participants and the organisers if they don't do them and then race.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Peat wrote:

You've clearly never raced if you think a sportive is a race.
    More problems but still living....
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Peat wrote:

Why does giving a number make it a race?
  • Think it very much depends on what you count as a race. Personally I treat it as a race...against myself only. I don't care if I come 1st or last (OK, slight lie!) provided I'm pleased with my time. I only have a mountain bike with skinny tyres on so never going to beat a lot of the Roadies but that's not my point.

Is it a leisurely Sunday stroll - no (not to me at least but can be if you so wish) but wouldn't count it as a race.
    Triban 3
  • peat
    amaferanga wrote:

Clearly. Am yet to even do a Sportive either.

My point is, if you are being timed, you want to do it in the shortest time possible. Ergo, its a race of sorts. Or do people stop at a pub for lunch?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    It's not a race because most people don't race. Some will, but the majority of us set off to try do a decent time that compares well against previous events. It's a fine line but all the ones that I've done have lacked that generic sense of competitiveness that you'll find in a race, once the racing snakes have shot off up the road from the off leaving the rest of us pacing ourselves.

I wouldn't call a Sportiv a race, but there's no denying that some people race in them.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Peat wrote:
    My point is, if you are being timed, you want to do it in the shortest time possible. Ergo, its a race of sorts. Or do people stop at a pub for lunch?
    People stop at the food halts for a chat and bacon sarnie or three if they feel like it, and a lot of people are quite clearly not travelling at race speeds.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Peat wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

It's only a race in the sense that you race against yourself, trying to beat your times for similar distances. All very difficult to quantify and compare accurately, of course, but it keeps me going.

Unless I stop for a pub lunch, that is. :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • It's not a race. I've done 2 so far, and the atmosphere is more "fairly fast ride together" than "i'm going to beat you". People chat on the way round, stop at feed stations for a brew, and groups that form / groups who know each other often stop for mchanical / clothing / comfort breaks together.
    Most routes have traffic lights, seen 1 red light jumper and he got sternly chastised by all around him.

All of the above says not a race to me.

They are great fun though, and if you find you overtake everyone and go faster, thats also very good. The lakes one in a fortnight will be my first on a roadie (others i used my mtb), i'm clearly hooked bcause i have more sportives on the 2013 calander than track days. Worrying stuff for a petrolhead!
  • On the topic, I've only done few smallish local ones. Has anyone done the Action 100 from Bristol/Bath to London? What's it like? Been thinking of signing up for it as an incentive as not done more that 30 miles yet and that one is 117 miles! Sure it will be fine....with minimal training...on a MTB....oh crap!!!!
    Triban 3
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    amaferanga wrote:
    Peat wrote:

So that's why I'm always losing...stopping halfway round to get some cake and go for a piss :(
    Peat wrote:

As you have said you've never done a sportive or a race which basically means you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Some people who are too scared to actually race might treat them as a 'race' but they are so different they barely compare.

As my coach said about 'sportive racers'..."How can they race against someone who doesn't know they are in a race"
  • i assume its treated by many as a large time trial ;)
  • Buckie2k5 wrote:
    i assume its treated by many as a large time trial ;)

With bacon sarnies of course!
    Triban 3
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Peat wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

We stopped for a pint of cider on the one I did this year - many wouldnt stop with us but we soon passed them when we got going again, all invigorated with cider power!
  • apreading
    RobertSims wrote:
    On the topic, I've only done few smallish local ones. Has anyone done the Action 100 from Bristol/Bath to London? What's it like? Been thinking of signing up for it as an incentive as not done more that 30 miles yet and that one is 117 miles! Sure it will be fine....with minimal training...on a MTB....oh crap!!!!

Ah - thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten that but am very interested in the Bath to London (possibly as my first 100 miler).
  • peat
    apreading wrote:
    We stopped for a pint of cider on the one I did this year - many wouldnt stop with us but we soon passed them when we got going again, all invigorated with cider power!

Sign me up!
  • apreading wrote:
    RobertSims wrote:
    On the topic, I've only done few smallish local ones. Has anyone done the Action 100 from Bristol/Bath to London? What's it like? Been thinking of signing up for it as an incentive as not done more that 30 miles yet and that one is 117 miles! Sure it will be fine....with minimal training...on a MTB....oh crap!!!!

Ah - thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten that but am very interested in the Bath to London (possibly as my first 100 miler).

Likewise - going to sign up for it. Never done more than 30 odd miles...but in for a penny and all that..!
    Triban 3
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    RobertSims wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    RobertSims wrote:

Likewise - going to sign up for it. Never done more than 30 odd miles...but in for a penny and all that..!

Sounds interesting. What's the route like? How well does the return system work?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • apreading
    Returns seem to be overnight - with bike collection on the monday morning - so pretty poor unless you are local and able to get away from work...

Not a problem for me - Reading is easy to to Bath by train and short ride to Feltham or Ashford for return to Reading by train. So no need to use the return service.

If you arent going to use their service but need to get back to Bath by train then via Reading is the best way for you too. Alternatively, from Feltham/Ashford its only a quick hop to Clapham Junction if you are heading anywhere in the South East of the country.

Route should be fairly flat - not too many hills I think and through some lovely countryside. A fair bit follows the A4 though (west of Reading) which is a bit busy and you need to exercise caution with some of the crazy motorists... If I was planning it, I would take some quiter roads that run alongside the A4 - but I am not, so have to do as they choose...
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    For the novices out there, if you're after a challenging yet friendly event try audax. Much more enjoyable than the over priced sportive .
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I do enjoy sportives, They arent a race, because "most" people just ride for fun and taking part is all that matters.

I personally ride them as fast as i can go, push myself to the limits, I am not racing anyone but myself. I did a good one this year in 1hr 55, and my target will be 1:45 next year, I am looking forward to seeing if I beat my time.

Why is there a big queue by the timing van at the end of the sportive? cos people are intersted in how they do.

anyway, its only the slow ones that say its not a race hahaha :lol::lol:
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    saprkzz wrote:
    I do enjoy sportives, They arent a race, because "most" people just ride for fun and taking part is all that matters.

I personally ride them as fast as i can go, push myself to the limits, I am not racing anyone but myself. I did a good one this year in 1hr 55, and my target will be 1:45 next year, I am looking forward to seeing if I beat my time.

Why is there a big queue by the timing van at the end of the sportive? cos people are intersted in how they do.

anyway, its only the slow ones that say its not a race hahaha :lol::lol:

So how many miles was the event to finish in 1.55? How much money did it cost you?
    Fully admit i never did get this sportive thing .
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly