Passing a lot of water post ride!

Graeme Jones
Graeme Jones Posts: 361
Does anyone find Post ride they go the loo a lot! I find I do consume quite a lot of fluid on a ride as I find I will dehydrate if I'm not careful. I did 50 miles today and drank 4 bottles worth of water one bottle is 700ml and one is about 500ml do all in all about 2400ml is this too much? I pass dark urine when 1st back then quickly goes clear but I've gone about 40 times in the last 5 hrs haha!
I know this is a bit random but you wanted everyone else's opinion if this happens to them

Comments

• dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    What weight are you, how fast are you riding, what are you drinking before the ride, what's your daily hydration like, do you go to the loo before and during the ride?

I'd drink 1 - 1.5l on a 50 mile ride.

40 time in 5 hours? Does it burn when you go?!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Sounds like a lot of fluid in a short space of time
  • dw300 wrote:
    What weight are you, how fast are you riding, what are you drinking before the ride, what's your daily hydration like, do you go to the loo before and during the ride?

I'd drink 1 - 1.5l on a 50 mile ride.

40 time in 5 hours? Does it burn when you go?!

40 times is an exaggeration lol but a good 15 time since I finished the ride. Its not stinging just bladder is filling up quicker making me need to go. I am passing a decent amount every time.

My ride today was 50miles in 3hrs 20mins averaging 15mph and climbing 1700ft of elevation with temps of around 20degrees.

I do go the loo before the ride and did stop once during the ride for a pee.

I had 3 weetabix with a banana and 1 pint of water before I set off. I do tend to drink quite a bit.

I am 13st 7lb currently.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,831
    The magic rule of thumb is 500ml of fluid for every hour on the bike.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    If you're well hydrated during the day, you shouldn't need to down a pint before you go for a ride, you're just putting pressure on your bladder. I drink prior to going for a ride, but i don't drink in the final hour beforehand, so that when I pee directly before the ride I'm pretty much empty. You shouldn't need to pee on a 50 mile ride.

Just drink less during each ride until you get to a comfortable amount that satisfies your performance and peeing needs.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    If you are drinking a lot all the time, then I think you should pay a visit to the Docs, as high thirst can be a sign of Diabetes.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Velonutter wrote:
    If you are drinking a lot all the time, then I think you should pay a visit to the Docs, as high thirst can be a sign of Diabetes.
    True. Seek medical advice, not internet forum advice
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Blimey thats a lot of water to take on. I'm doing 3 hour runs lately and I dont bother with water on them.
    Although today it was hot so I stopped for 500ml water just after half way.

The thirst/ diabetes thing is a worry too.

Hows your vision ? Get it checked out asap by the doc - the sooner you catch this the better it is. Seriously.
  • Yes diabetes is a concern as my father is diabetic but only through years of not looking after himself another big reason when my son was born at Christmas to sort myself out. I have been checked in the past and all was good.
    I have had no issues today with passing a lot of water been maybe 3-4 ties today at work during 9hours.
    My head can get a bit fuzzy at times if I push myself a bit hard but nothing I would describe as out of the ordinary.
    I get a bit paranoid about dehydrating and struggling to get back. I will just take the two bottles next time and see how I get on.
  • I did a 100 mile ride on 1 litre and it was a struggle to drink that much to be honest, if I drank the amount you did
    in such a short period of time I'd be in the bogs for the rest of the day lol. Saying that in work despite most of the time drinking very little I can go for a pee about 10-15 times in 10 hours (perhaps I have a problem aswell lol)
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • Yes diabetes is a concern as my father is diabetic but only through years of not looking after himself another big reason when my son was born at Christmas to sort myself out. I have been checked in the past and all was good.
    I have had no issues today with passing a lot of water been maybe 3-4 ties today at work during 9hours.
    My head can get a bit fuzzy at times if I push myself a bit hard but nothing I would describe as out of the ordinary.
    I get a bit paranoid about dehydrating and struggling to get back. I will just take the two bottles next time and see how I get on.

Sounds similar to me, I often go blind for about 10 seconds when I get up, I pee a hell of alot more than that in work.
    More like 10-15 in 10 hours
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    This summer I've passed a lot of water while riding...

... never seen so many puddles, so much flooding for so long
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    You can actually drink too much water! Peeing lost (like you describe) means you lose salts and can get cramps heart rhythm problems etc. If you're peeing too much and you know you've drunk a lot of liquids - drink less! Also when you burn carbs in body it releases water - usually you sweat this out in exercise but adding water to a cool ride would make things worse. We're all different but I think you just drank too much - if you weren't feeling thirsty it wasn't needed.
  • You can actually drink too much water! Peeing lost (like you describe) means you lose salts and can get cramps heart rhythm problems etc. If you're peeing too much and you know you've drunk a lot of liquids - drink less! Also when you burn carbs in body it releases water - usually you sweat this out in exercise but adding water to a cool ride would make things worse. We're all different but I think you just drank too much - if you weren't feeling thirsty it wasn't needed.

I think your spot on.
  • I did a 100 mile ride on 1 litre and it was a struggle to drink that much to be honest, if I drank the amount you did
    in such a short period of time I'd be in the bogs for the rest of the day lol. Saying that in work despite most of the time drinking very little I can go for a pee about 10-15 times in 10 hours (perhaps I have a problem aswell lol)

95 miles for me yesterday on 1 litre and a double espresso and that's pretty much the norm. I did one pee stop and a big pee as soon as I got back.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    95 or 100 miles on 1 litre is not enough, you need at least 500 ml per hour.

I've just got back from doing the Wild Wales, 84 miles with approx. 8400 feet of climbing and I drank 5x750ml bottles and also had 4 coffees and my hydration was just about perfect, straw coloured wee and no headaches.