Latex Allergy hands fingers

berliner
berliner Posts: 340
Anyone else out there get problems from hoods/ bar tapes. Ive changes tapes but as hoods are rubber can only use full finger gloves.

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Sure its not just getting chapped in all this rain? Wrap some elastoplast type tape rouond the hoods?
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Are hood made of Latex?
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • berliner
    Had it for a will. Doctor reckons my skin cracks / lesions on my fingers is a latex reaction. I have had allergy tests thats resulted in nothing conclusive. I dont know what it is but can get really painfull with the cuts opening. Dont know if anyone gets it through sweating or what. Wearing cotton gloves seems to help.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    berliner wrote:
    Had it for a will. Doctor reckons my skin cracks / lesions on my fingers is a latex reaction. I have had allergy tests thats resulted in nothing conclusive. I dont know what it is but can get really painfull with the cuts opening. Dont know if anyone gets it through sweating or what. Wearing cotton gloves seems to help.

Have you changed your soap, washing liquid, shower gel etc since getting the symptoms?

I don't have latex allergy, but I do have eczema and used to get lesions on my fingers along the fold lines on the reverse of the knuckles. It was cold weather that did it for me. Cleared up using steroid creams.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    I suffer from this several timed a year, use hand cream to reduce pain from splitting skin along index fingers, dehydration seem to coincide with problem, usually clears up after several days of re-hydration.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    hand cream is good for this (cracking) but what really helps me is wearing cotton gloves over well vaselined hands at night - sounds a bit pervy but it really gives chance for skin to heal. Cracks and redness can also be sign of infection - check with a doctor - and give all soaps, detergents & similar as wider a berth as possible.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Bike hoods are not latex on Shimarno, Csampag or SRAM. They are a synthetic rubber. The only thing on a bike that has latex is racing tubulars or latex tubes - and you'd know if you had them!
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    RPD Steve wrote:
    Bike hoods are not latex on Shimarno, Csampag or SRAM. They are a synthetic rubber. The only thing on a bike that has latex is racing tubulars or latex tubes - and you'd know if you had them!

Yep.

That said, if you feel you have to wear full finger gloves all the time, get some lightweight unpadded XC gloves. They are comfortable even in hot weather and also look quite cool.
  • berliner
    Just gotta say thanks for the input guys.
    Been going on for a few years now. Been for a few tests etc. I tend to visit the problem every few yeas or so but just live with it most of the time.