Rockrider 8.1 or should I spend a bit more?

2»

Comments

• i have owned the RR 8.1 for 6 months now. after riding this bike at Grizedale, Healy Nab, Lee & Cragg Quarry, Ladybower and many other off road trails i can honestly say this is a brilliant bike. it has been thrown about and tested as hard as i am capable of pushing it and it has never let me down. none of the components have failed.

you can spend an extra £200 to get a more sought after make if your worried about being seen on a Decathlon bike, but i would say your wasting your money. at this price range you cant go wrong, and the service at Dectahlon is also excellent unlike Halfords. it is a good looking bike and the new colour scheme looks even better.

looked after this bike will last a good number of years, i have already decided my next bike will be from decathlon i am that pleased with the rockrider.
  • jamohoward wrote:
    the service at Dectahlon is also excellent unlike Halfords

I have to say that service at my local Halfords has been excellent. Some stores are good, some are less so.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Adotparker wrote:
    for Quality Aluminium frames look at Orange 5's or cannondales
    :roll: :wink: Your kidding right?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    Bit off topic but still on the decathlon RR topic I ride the 9.1and yes it isn't the usual frame shape but spec is pretty damn good and was out sunday and stopped for a breather and a chat with 3guys all on about 3k spesh full sussers and they were all having a nice gander at my 600 quid full suss and admiring it.they were all shocked it only cost as little as it did.point being I'm slogging up a hill or blasting down a hill,only bit of my bike I really clap eyes on is my bars and front wheel,but it takes me where i want to go,sometimes in front sometimes behind my mate on his 2k stumpy,had it round inners last month and coped very well,although I took a week to recover :D
    If you want a very competent well spec'd bike then the RR8.1 will do you great service
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just to add a fact into the frame debate

My 2006 Carrera Kraken 16" frame (bare) 1735g
    A 2006 Rockhopper 17" frame I happened to have hold of 1742g
    Top tube length between the two was within 5mm so effectively the same size.

Both Made in the Merida Factories in Taiwan, the 'hopper appeared to have butted tubing (using a finger nail ping test) my Carrera not (or less so), that may make the spesh branded frame stiffer, but also more dent prone mid tube.

Yes Spesh's etc do tend to look 'nicer' than a Carrera or Hoodoo or RR, but is it worth paying an extra £150-200 for the paint job?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    Get the rockrider spec is very good for price it light for a £500 bike.
    You get 5years Warranty on the frame and 2years on components.

As for the bike snobs have you tryed the RR and if it had trek or cube on the frame would you buy it :!: