Rockrider 8.1 or should I spend a bit more?

Minty88
Minty88 Posts: 8
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I was thinking of going to Decathlon this week to get the 2012 Rockrider 8.1 but I've noticed my local bike shop have a few bikes with pretty decent discounts.

I know the Rockrider has great specs for £500 but a couple of these bikes are nearer a grand at rrp.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/diamondback-apex-mountain-bike-id70336.html
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/kona-cinder-cone-hardtail-mountain-bike-id67779.html
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cube-acid-mountain-bike-grey-blue--id65909.html
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/focus-fatboy-mountain-bike-id65662.html
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/kona-blast-hardtail-mountain-bike-id67778.html

I've included the Cube because I really like the way it looks but it's not as heavily discounted as the others. Are these bikes actually much better or are you just paying alot more anyway for the name?

Comments

• The focus is nasty for a start.

In answer to your question - quite frankly - NO! The RR is really that good part for part.

If you like the look of the RR then get it and spend the rest on gear like helmet, pump, gloves, tookit and a few spare tubes
  • Before going to the Decathlon store, check stock levels online as I believe the RR 8.1 is currently out of stock.
  • Adotparker
    Adotparker Posts: 128
    Call me stuck up........ But Cube for me...... German engineering.... good spec.. ... B'twin are like daewoo .......... good value, good guarantee... but hey...... it's a daewoo......... maybe i'm just a snob..... and think further a-field to Halfords and Decathlon..... but come on...... we like to look good as well as having good machines don't we?
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Adotparker wrote:
    Call me stuck up
    OK.
    I could think of other things but it's a start.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Adotparker
    cooldad wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:
    Call me stuck up
    OK.

Paper boy bikes are paper boy bikes...regardless of some forum geek, trying to be witty.......
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Minty88
    Minty88 Posts: 8
    I think I'm going to rule out the Cube, as much as I like the look of it I just don't think its good value, what do people think of the Diamonback Apex and the Konas specifically? They're massively discounted but are they are decent value at that price?
  • cooldad
    Adotparker wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:
    Call me stuck up
    OK.

Paper boy bikes are paper boy bikes...regardless of some forum geek, trying to be witty.......
    You seem to forget that not everyone is loaded like you, and making someone feel like a cnut because they can't afford what your somewhat misguided sense of values suggests they should is the work of a cnut.
    IMHO.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Adotparker
    Minty88 wrote:
    I think I'm going to rule out the Cube, as much as I like the look of it I just don't think its good value, what do people think of the Diamonback Apex and the Konas specifically? They're massively discounted but are they are decent value at that price?

It's more expensive as it has better spec...... no exprience in Diamondback, Kona make some decent high end bikes.... toug, rigid frames........ all about the money brother!!...........can't take it with you!!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are all decent bikes, except the focus. The DB Apex has the best fork (if you don't need a lockout - but saying that it looks like it does have one), and is especially suited to harder riding (should that float your boat).
  • Adotparker
    cooldad wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:
    Call me stuck up
    OK.

You seem to forget that not everyone is loaded like you, and making someone feel like a cnut because they can't afford what your somewhat misguided sense of values suggests they should is the work of a cnut.
    IMHO.

jeepers...... it's only a forum a Halfords/Decathlon Biased one. granted!!.... no need to be a big baby...... just keep peddling that paper boy bike and everything will be fine!!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • supersonic
    Let's quit the silly arguments and get back to the topic.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Adotparker wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Adotparker wrote:
    Call me stuck up
    OK.

Take the frame away and almost everything will be made by some else and be available on any make of bike.

So you are just wrong.......... ....... .. . .. ... ...

.... .... Wrong... .. . .
  • Minty88 wrote:

From a purely aesthetic POV i like the Konas and especially the Cinder. Decent Kit on them both and Kona make lovely frames. The cinder being the better of the two bikes spec wise. The Blast is more basic with the Entry Rs fork. The DB is more trail oriented and has a nice fork but some of the components look a little ropey to me. I am guessing the DB would be the heaviest of the bikes also.

Thats just my opinion from looking as ive not ridden any of them, but again, the RR is a cracking deal.
  • Adotparker
    yeah lets take the frame away......... 85% of the bike :S .......... different manufacturing practices. different grades of welding.... different grades of material... different heat treatment methods....... none of that's important...... an engineer like myself appreciates such...... and to ''Quit the silly arguments''.......... The cube is the winner
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Adotparker wrote:
    yeah lets take the frame away......... 85% of the bike :S .......... different manufacturing practices. different grades of welding.... different grades of material... different heat treatment methods....... none of that's important...... an engineer like myself appreciates such...... and to ''Quit the silly arguments''.......... The cube is the winner

If what you are saying is correct from an engineers POV then can you shed some light on the frame building practices of B'twin compared to Cube et al so that both members and Moderators can advise others on the risk of buying these frames.
  • supersonic
    I can tell you exactly about the Decathlon frame - it is made by Specialized parent company in the same factory, by the same machines, to the same standard. In fact Merida make quite a few here.

The silly arguments refers to Cooldad and Adotparker's slanging match - no more.

There is no winner here, these are mostly good bikes with slightly varying specs.
  • I am checking out the 8.1 this week (I checked and it says its in store). I've checked the Voodoo Hoodoo which was cool and want to compare.

But I am considering getting a 29er and I wonder if I could do this...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-nine-race-29er-2012/

Price 840.00
    -10% pizza express voucher = 756.00
    then use a refer a friend which get another 10% voucher to spend at Wiggle - so £75

Which works out not bad for a bike with a RRP of 1399.00.

The risk is I cant ride the bloody thing and the bike isn't valid for the 30 test ride Wiggle do.

Has anyone ridden the Felt Nine Race 29er ?
  • supersonic wrote:
    I can tell you exactly about the Decathlon frame - it is made by Specialized parent company in the same factory, by the same machines, to the same standard. In fact Merida make quite a few here.

Oh SS you spoilsport! :D
  • Adotparker
    Risks? we're talking about how much people want to spend.... Cube generally use 6061 graded alu, across their range, as do b'twin.... obviously your aware of all the hydro-forming disadvantages of some materials and corrosion resistance as with cheaper frames 7005 alu is used... heat treatment and welding is more specific to the manufacturer.... and upon inspection if you looked at cube and b'twin you will see large differences, but b'twin frame quality isn't an issue..... carrera and voodoo with butting...... and single sweep welding. it's common sense to realize short cuts will be taken, on those such bike frames that are cheaper...... as long as they pass the safety tests they're happy........ for Quality Aluminium frames look at Orange 5's or cannondales ... not my cheapo orange crush...... taiwan crap...... but hence why it was cheap
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Chunkers1980
    It's not a rocket you know.
  • cooldad
    ............waffle............waffle........waffle....... ad infinitum......
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Adotparker
    supersonic wrote:

Oh SS you spoilsport! :D

Being born in a stable, doesn't make you a horse!
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes, you could be baby Jesus.
  • Adotparker
    cooldad wrote:
    ............waffle............waffle........waffle....... ad infinitum......

please.. what are you?? like 11 years old?? ....... ooooh no you can't be you added latin, you probably googled for..... :S
    Orange 5 Pro 650b 2014
    Orange Crush 650b 2014
  • supersonic
    Stay on the topic, for the last time! Or I WILL start issuing warnings, too many threads lately have derailed into farce and people are complaining to me about them. A lot.

To the OP: rest assured that all the frames here are of a good standard and will serve you well. The fork quality varies, which lets the Focus down. If you can try the bikes, I would do so.

Edit: feel free to start a topic on frame quality in the General section if you want to take that (general) discussion further.
  • Chunkers1980
    He will not. He's just here to say that Deathlon and Halford's stuff is poor. Hope he does though and has some good evidence to support or not.
  • I started a similar topic and was advised to look at the decathlon 8.1 due to its spec and what im looking to pay (£500 max) and the same goes for the voodoo, i dont want to get a bike from halfords, its too common! The spec agreed does look great but im really not keen on the frame, i wouldnt say im a snob but i like to know what im riding looks good as well as feels good.

This is why im swayed more to something like a Norco or Specialized, If you do try out the decathlon though let me know how it rides as i would be interested to know your thoughts on it.
    2013 Cube Analog
    2011 GT aggressor - For sale
  • Chunkers1980
    It's your money spend it how you like.

Around £500 for a whole bike is not much (in the grand scheme of things), go above and yes there are more worthy contenders at each price point.

RR and Halford's bikes get good reviews and recomendations (around £500) as they come with the best forks, brakes and drive trains, these are the things that will make the most difference to the people who buy them, not the frame, they are mostly these days pretty damn good and as pointed out are likely to be made in the same place with the same machines as the bigger brands.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    i wouldnt say im a snob but i like to know what im riding looks good as well as feels good.

It's gonna spend most of it's time covered in mud if you're in the UK. Go for the one with the best fork I'd say
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    as pointed out are likely to be made in the same place with the same machines as the bigger brands.

they might have different alloys & quality control standards

BUT

that kind of thing will naturally affect heavier/harder/faster riders more than beginners

So for beginners, I suspect all that stuff about who makes the frame, is pretty much irrelevant. I have no facts to back this up, just an unjustified opinion.