Accident recovery

Hi - I had a nasty spill nearly 2 weeks ago, in which I was (stupidly) cycling without a helmet, in twilight, without lights on a cycle path. I'd been working late, my train home had been cancelled and I was putting my foot down to get back before it was completely dark. I dont really know what happened - I think I hit a piece of rubble on the cycle path (a tarmaced former railway line), front wheel went from under me and my head hit the ground, shortly followed by my leg and arm. I spent the night in A&E and needed 12 stitches to my forehead, 5 to my arm and could barely walk on my right leg.

12 days on, I'm still suffering from concussion (anyone have any experience of duration of this?), which is getting slightly better, but I still feel very tired/slightly nauseous by early afternoon and need to have a sleep. As a result I'm still signed off work.

My leg has eased up a bit, but I have a large soft swelling on the top outside of my thigh. A&E thought I may have broken my pelvis and x-rayed it. But no sign of breakage. They thought the muscle may have become dislodged from the friction of the accident (but surely I would be in agony if that was the case?). The swelling hasn't gone down. A bit of googling has got me thinking it's a hematoma. Do any of you have any experience of this? If so, is it ok to start gently exercise ? I went out on the bike yesterday to get my youngest from school (20 mins very gently cycling in low gear) and my leg felt fine when I was on the bike. But I experienced a lot of muscle pain/cramp right down my leg last night. Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers
Never mistake motion for action
Tweet@gmunrop69
Trainerroad - GMan69

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I googled some symptoms I had once, it said I was dead.
  • janner1
    janner1 Posts: 34
    Just in quite note recovering from a broken leg 7/8 weeks ago cast is off and now wearing a air boot . I posted on here just after the accident to seek advice from others their injuries made mine pale in to insufficience , but what I learnt from them was to Take recovery at your own pace and it's not worth over doing it to suffer a set back. I,m now doing3x15 min turbo sessions a day with airboot and it's feeling good.3 wks till the next fracture clinic hopefully I'll be told. I can weight bear then. Good luck with your recovery
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    What happened experienced medical professionals advice?
  • What happened experienced medical professionals advice?
    I've not been overly impressed with the GP's 'diagnosis' to date....a puzzled expression and "lets see what happens in a few days" does not inspire confidence. I'm due back there tomorrow, so I'll see if I get more success.
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    What happened experienced medical professionals advice?
    I've not been overly impressed with the GP's 'diagnosis' to date....a puzzled expression and "lets see what happens in a few days" does not inspire confidence. I'm due back there tomorrow, so I'll see if I get more success.
    But googling it is much more accurate?
  • What happened experienced medical professionals advice?
    But googling it is much more accurate?

Probably
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    If it hurts then don't do it. Pain is your bodies way of telling you to stop! I broke my radius six weeks ago and I was able to ride on the turbo after 2 weeks (would have been sooner but didnt have a turbo and one handed isnt that easy) Back riding on roads again after 4 weeks. Still stiffens up (elbow joint) but not painful. I have been told that it will be 3 months before its able to take bodyweight ie push ups.
  • Thanks for the responses. Went to see a different doctor, who actually seemed to have a clue. He reckoned that my leg is a combination of bruising to femur and hip joint and will be hematoma, ripped muscle and general fluids to protect the injury. He recommended light exercise (walking) and physiotherapy. I think cycling's a way off yet.

He thought the gash to my forehead did not look good and that I've severed some of the motor nerves (I can't raise my right eyebrow or wrinkle that side of my forehead anymore. I just thought this was due to tightness in the scar). I've got a referral to a plastic surgeon for assessment. I'm no expert, but I'm not sure what they can do now? Or whether the nerve will grow back on its own? Oh well...maybe my pretty boy days are over....could be worse.
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    WhatTheSpock.gif
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Haha....my new party trick!
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69