OT - Noisy Neighbours

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    We're straying into dangerous territory here...

besides I tend to take the Assange approach to intercourse.

What? Diki-leaks?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    We're straying into dangerous territory here...

besides I tend to take the Assange approach to intercourse.

What? Diki-leaks?

How long have you been waiting to use that one? :lol:
  • rick_chasey
    Just hope your wife isn't called Nicki.
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    The first flat I lived in in Brighton had a very unruly family upstairs. Single mum who couldn't control the teenagers any more.

Their kitchen was above my bedroom, it was bare a wood floor as well, so I heard every scrape of the chairs and any conversation. They came back with friends and shrieky teen girls virtually every night.

It was hell for the first week...

Then I found out that their electrical company cut-out fuses were in my cupboard! :-D

Never had a problem with late night noise for more than 5 minutes after that. Who wants to party in a house with 'rolling blackouts'...

We did much the same with our 'unreasonable' neighbours when I was a student in Cardiff. After a week or so of having to call-out Welsh Water to turn their mains water back on they got the message. The final time was an occasion where we cut their supply off in the street on the Friday and Welsh Water didn't visit until the Monday. Can't have been a very pleasant weekend in a house shared by five male students. The penny-dropped when they had to ask us for water and my house mate was less than subtle about the predicament they found themselves in.

To this day I'm not sure why it was effective as it was. All they needed was one of these £5 tools to turn it back on.

C3200_280x280.jpg

Sometimes direct action is the best way.

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Worst neighbours I ever had were in Walton on Thames, of all places. Noisy, rubbish thrown out of window, bags of smelly rubbish left outside the door, really antisocial. Visitors at all hours of the day and night, banging on the door and shouting (begging in many cases) to be let in. TBH, we were too intimidated to complain, and too naiive to twig what was going on. Finally they moved out.

A week later, we were woken by the most almighty crash at what must have been 6am, followed by more crashes and a *lot* of shouting. Peered out through the peephole to see at least 6 police, in full-on riot gear, guarding the entrance while their colleagues ransacked the (now empty) flat. Finally the penny dropped...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rick_chasey
    Had to call the police on my neighbour downstairs because he was beating his girlfriend. And I mean, furniture being thrown, glass tables being smashed the lot.

He moved out 6 months later. Turned out he was an alcoholic who not long after the police incident was left on his own, thankfully.

The place when the landlord found it was such a tip that they had to gut the place and redo it all. Cat faeces everywhere, blood on the walls, everything broken, plaster ripped from the walls.

Surprisingly he managed to hold his job in the City down. Frightening.

I know it sound pretty obvious and selfish but I was quite worried for me and my girlfriend when we called the police. He was obviously pretty violent and between me and the gf we only weigh about 90 kilos. It was pretty obvious who did the calling. He once rang our buzzer drunk to ask if he could climb through our bathroom window (a tiny flap window....) to get into his flat because he locked himself out.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    I don't know how much you mind being disliked. Alternatively, you could take the view that tolerance sets a precedent you'll be stuck with.

You could bring them down to listen to their music from your house.

I am guessing that they rent. You have the option to complain to the landlord. The landlord probably won't give a monkeys unless slapped with a noise abatement order, but some ditsy students are unlikely to know this. Students are 10 a penny. And generally gormless. A sufficiently stern talking to with threats of hypothetical eviction and a county court judgement for the noise might sufficiently scare them.

The problem you have is that they don't care and are essentially children. I'd propose treating them as such.
  • I do feel for you. Though my old upstairs neighbour had a penchant for using his turbo at 8am on a Saturday. Annoying but I didn't feel I could complain too much. More recently we had lots of problems with noise of partying from neighbours and I approached the council. Earplugs ended up being the only solution (btw the silicone ones are the most effective). We now (at last) have a house.

My sister's answer to noisy evening partying was (after several polite discussions about how noise travels and could they be considerate etc) to play country and western music, loudly, at 7am. They fitted carpets soon afterwards.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    We bought a house on the edge of a forest. Quiet. Except for the helicopter that likes to hover over the house most nights just after midnight. Quick search of the interweb expecting to find out there is loads of car crime in the area, only to learn that the Metropolitan Police Air Support Unit base with its 3 Eurocopters is a mile away, and their flight path seems to be right over my bedroom. Interesting stat that they fly an average of over 260 hours per month and have flown twice as many hours as any other Eurocopter Twin Squirrel anywhere in the world. I swear most of those hours are hovering over my house waiting for permission to land. Anyone know where I can acquire an air to surface missile?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JZed wrote:
    We bought a house on the edge of a forest. Quiet. Except for the helicopter that likes to hover over the house most nights just after midnight. Quick search of the interweb expecting to find out there is loads of car crime in the area, only to learn that the Metropolitan Police Air Support Unit base with its 3 Eurocopters is a mile away, and their flight path seems to be right over my bedroom. Interesting stat that they fly an average of over 260 hours per month and have flown twice as many hours as any other Eurocopter Twin Squirrel anywhere in the world. I swear most of those hours are hovering over my house waiting for permission to land. Anyone know where I can acquire an air to surface missile?

No but a green lazer pen will get you some really interesting attention - go on try it :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    'lazer'

muttermuttermutter :evil:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I recommend suffocating them with a bag for life

ok - I don't really
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    spen666 wrote:
    I recommend suffocating them with a bag for life

ok - I don't really
    Yeah, a normal recycled plastic one would suffice
  • Better still, one that a dog walker has used to collect their pet's 'little presents', then not finding a convenient bin to use has simply dropped on the side of the path, or (my favourite) hung from a nearby tree at just the right height to collect a passing cyclist :evil: :evil:

I'm sorry, I seem to have stumbled into the wrong rant thread.....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    JZed wrote:
    You're loving Essex, aren't you?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.