OT - Noisy Neighbours

Koncordski
Koncordski Posts: 1,009
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Right here's the story. I've lived in flats for years, I'd like to get a house but south west London is not the cheapest part of the country to do this so I currently live in a nice quiet block in Surbiton. All has been great since January, neighbours were nice, garage to store my bikes is fab and the refurb of the flat is finished so i was looking forward to coming home and enjoying it.

Then the old students upstairs moved out and the new ones moved in. It's only a one bed flat but they have turned the lounge into a second bedroom, no worries, the last lot were no trouble. The pair of girls moved in at the weekend, I went and said hello, welcome to the building etc, seemed nice enough. That was last saturday.

Sunday night, loud music and it was bastard hot so all the windows were open. You could hear laughing and chatting along with the music until 1:30am but I didn't want to be unreasonable (they've just moved in, its exciting being away from home etc) so i didn't say anything.

Monday night, could hear music again and then people started arriving. This started at about 9:30pm and the lift and front door was going well past 1am. Music and chatting still going at 2:30am when through sheer tiredness I eventually dropped off to sleep.

Tuesday night when i got home from work i went up there and explained that last night was really loud and people go to work so it's not cool to make noise late at night. they said thanks for letting them know and were quite apologetic, i was super polite but firm. Not a peep out of them all night. Great.

Last night, eating dinner about 8pm and the thump thump thump bass was coming through the ceiling, well it's not late i thought so i'll leave it but after an hour i was getting pissed off so in an effort not to be too confrontational my GF went upsatirs, asked them to turn it down and they did. Until 10:30pm when they turn it on to start getting ready to go out, jesus what gives? They go out at 11pm and all is quiet until 3:15am when they come back from wherever. Now to be fair they went straight to bed but they laughing and banging of doors was enough to wake both of us up and break our sleep.

I feel so tired and pissed off this morning, wondered what to do. Now i can complain like a bastard but i'm torn between nipping it in the bud and making the situation worse. I can obviously complain to their landlord and the council but that seems quite heavy. It's just that the first week has been so bad i don't think I can face it going on like this and trying to keep it friendly doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone had any luck resolving something like this? :?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Have strong words with them.

Make it clear that you're reasonable - nothing after say, 12 on Fri - sat, nothing after 10 on school nights, but they shouldn't take the p!ss.Similarly, when they come in late, they need to keep it quiet.

Make it clear that, you're happy to leave it at that, assuming they do that, and that if they don't, you'll be the biggest PITA they have.

No swearing, just firm language. You're in the right so it's straightforward, as long as you are reasonable, and making reasonable demands, which you obviously are.

Don't get involved in a discussion. Just explain that this is how it is.

Had to do the same with my new upstairs neighbours and it worked a treat.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Have words, they're Students and will get the message eventually! I have neighbours upstairs who make a racket. They never answer their door when I go up to complain, I've put notes under the door etc, all v polite, but they just ignore. They appear to have kids who run all over the place until past midnight on a regular basis.

On top of that, the new next door neighbours are very amorous, and she is a real screamer. We share a divided terrace and with windows/doors open she's so loud we might as well be in her bedroom. On the plus side it's as funny as hell! If they start being noisy late at night, I'm not quite sure how I'd go about confronting them...
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    There was a party on our street last night. The music cranked at about 11am and yoofs were pouring into the house and garden and out onto the street. Never heard such loud music outside the realms of an actual music festival - seriously, you could hear it half a mile away. No-one dared to approach the place (the yoofs were a little intimidating en-masse). Eventually the police came and 'had a word'. Then we went to sleep.

So don't confront them; just call plod.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    On the plus side it's as funny as hell! If they start being noisy late at night, I'm not quite sure how I'd go about confronting them...

Turn up in your y-fronts halfway through and open with "which one of you is going to start on me first then?"

Should be a short conversation.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Have words, they're Students and will get the message eventually! I have neighbours upstairs who make a racket. They never answer their door when I go up to complain, I've put notes under the door etc, all v polite, but they just ignore. They appear to have kids who run all over the place until past midnight on a regular basis.

On top of that, the new next door neighbours are very amorous, and she is a real screamer. We share a divided terrace and with windows/doors open she's so loud we might as well be in her bedroom. On the plus side it's as funny as hell! If they start being noisy late at night, I'm not quite sure how I'd go about confronting them...

Ball_gag1.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227

I read that as comforting her... :twisted:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739

:lol:

I had the pleasure of staying in a flea-pit Travelodge room once, right opposite someone who liked to maintain his carnal relationships over the telephone, very loudly. It was rather off-putting.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Haven't tried this myself, but I've heard that well-timed cheers/round of applause can work wonders. You only have to do it once or twice, and any other neighbours are more likely to be amused than annoyed by your contribution to the noise...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Have strong words with them.
    +1 to everything that he said. Bear in mind that they're probably not being malicious or even wilfully selfish, just thoughtless. Most of us were the same at one point, and what they need is firm guidance from "proper" adults[*].

Worst-case scenario is that you become the grumpy intolerant neighbours downstairs, but like any "problem neighbour" your objective is to coexist in a civilised manner rather than to become best mates. So be firm but reasonable, and they'll respect you even if they don't like you...

[*]Obviously no-one on this forum is really a proper adult
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    just get a brush handle an bang on the ceiling when they get noisy

guy over the road from us was cutting his grass at 7am on saturday morning with a petrol mower

then got a petrol strimmer out just to make sure we were all awake

9am bouncy castle arrives

grr
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • If it goes on the council people really like a diary of times and dates - it makes a big difference when they're getting involved.

Good luck - these things can sometimes be a long haul
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    If it goes on the council people really like a diary of times and dates - it makes a big difference when they're getting involved.

Good luck - these things can sometimes be a long haul

In fact, the first time you complain (and it is the Council Pollution department you complain to) they will simply send you a diary form to fill in; so it's best to get this started sooner rather than later.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Burning bag filled with human excrement. Knock and run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Best to get on with it. I shared a house with some Koreans for a few short months. Endlessly woken up in the middle of the night - often when they were out but their friends at home wanted to ring them up. And thought if they left the phone to ring for half an hour they'd pick it up.

It actually made me a very light sleeper and off and on insomniac for several years and even now I'm very senistive to impact of noises at sleep time (probably half the hotel rooms I stay in I have to have changed). Infact, just reading storys like yours makes me feel a bit anxious!! Once I'm asleep now that's generally it until morning but it's a pain and it probably wouldn't have happened but for that short period in the shared house.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    TGOTB wrote:
    Haven't tried this myself, but I've heard that well-timed cheers/round of applause can work wonders. You only have to do it once or twice, and any other neighbours are more likely to be amused than annoyed by your contribution to the noise...

Or perhaps score cards posted round the divide on the terrace.

"... and a9.6 from the Russian judge! My word..."
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    rjsterry wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

Or perhaps score cards posted round the divide on the terrace.

"... and a9.6 from the Russian judge! My word..."

Particularly if appended to some commentary from the diving competition at the 'Limpics..

"Would have been a 10 but for the splash on entry, feet flipped over just at the end... "
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • I feel for you mate! I've suffered inconsiderate, noisy neighbours in so many flats I've lived in over the years and I can sympathise with you only too well. It's what spurred me into getting a ridiculous mortgage simply to get a house when time came to buy, but worth every penny for the fact that there is no noise from above or below, if for no other reason.

I'd agree with the sentiment that you need to begin by being polite and reasonable, but do ramp up the pressure if necessary. I'd say a chat with their landlord might be an idea before too long. Are the flats managed by a company? If so they can put pressure on the landlord too. No one wants to be the inconsiderate, grumpy neighbour, but a good night's sleep is something we all deserve so if you have to get the council in then do. I had to when I had three lads living below me who were into dance music and thought it was thoroughly unreasonable for me to expect them not to play it until 3:00am on most nights. After they were served three noise abatement warnings they were given a court order. I've no idea what happened next, but it was the only thing left for me to do and they soon moved out.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    If being reasonable doesn't work, start playing Val Doonican/Des O'Connor/The Best of the Royal Scottish Military Orchestra/<insert equally loud and annoying artist of your choice> when they're asleep or revising. Their ability to concentrate will suffer, their exam results will be poor, they will flunk Uni, not be able to get a job, and eventually end up living on the streets as heroin junkies. That'll teach them to mess with you!
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I'd try again with them and not in the heat of the moment. Maybe call round on a weekend afternoon? Invite them for a drink?

I'd pitch a compromise along the lines of accepting that they are students and will do some partying but if they are going to live in a flat above people who work they need to restrict it to Friday/Saturday. Reasonable curfew otherwise - they are in the wrong place for "all back to ours" mid-week post-club sessions...

I'd also put the cards on the table - don't want to fall out over this but we need a reasonable compromise or I'd have to talk to landlord, council, etc...

Probably does make sense to log incidents and conversations too just in case.

BTW - on living near "enthusiastic" shaggers, in my first year I shared a University self-catering flat with 7 others including a couple of American Masters students. One of them started seeing this (gorgeous) Korean American girl who was VERY vocal and had quite a distinctive call at the peak of passion. One night she kept us all awake (comedy scene with four of us appearing in the corridor at 3AM with incredulous looks on our faces). The next time she called round the other (non-boyfriend) American greeted her with a disturbingly accurate impression of her orgasmic sound-effects.

She scuttled off pretty quick and must have been biting pillows after that because things quitened down a lot...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I feel for you. There's nothing worse than noisy neighbours, it's important to be able to get home and relax and feel comfortable. If someone else makes this impossible it can make you feel like you've got nowhere to go to unwind and relax. I would definitely address it. Speak to them a couple more times then if it doesn't stop start involving the council, the landlord, the management company for the building etc. Speak to other people who live above and to either side of them to find out if they are bothered and then present a united front...

I never understand why, when the weather's hot, people feel the need to pump out the loudest bassiest music they can possibly muster through the largest possible speakers... What it it about hot weather than creates this impulse in idiots?!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • My neighbour knocked loudly on the wall at 3 am this morning. It was as well that I was up practicing my drumming or I'd have been really annoyed :wink:

Some useful tips here.

I particularly liked the idea of using your WiFi SSID to give them a helpful message.

Failing that, you could always turn up with a bottle of lambini, thank them for inviting you to their party and drink all their decent booze.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Rolf F wrote:
    Best to get on with it. I shared a house with some Koreans for a few short months. Endlessly woken up in the middle of the night - often when they were out but their friends at home wanted to ring them up. And thought if they left the phone to ring for half an hour they'd pick it up.

It actually made me a very light sleeper and off and on insomniac for several years and even now I'm very senistive to impact of noises at sleep time (probably half the hotel rooms I stay in I have to have changed). Infact, just reading storys like yours makes me feel a bit anxious!! Once I'm asleep now that's generally it until morning but it's a pain and it probably wouldn't have happened but for that short period in the shared house.

I know what you mean, I lived in a flat with a noisy guy below. Obviously I couldn't hear him walking around but he just seemed to constantly shout. I'm not sure if he was deaf or if he was having loud conversations with other people or whether he was just a shouty mad person but it drove me insane. Day after day, night after night, incessant shouting... Not sure how he could've had so much to say (or shout)! Eventually I think the council got involved as the people below him compained and it stopped but for a long time I was really upset. I'd bought the flat so I suddenly felt trapped in it, no way out etc, when you rent you can just give a months notice and bugger off, when you've bought, if you're in a situation like this there's no simple way out... Eventually I just sold the flat and moved to my current place
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    The first flat I lived in in Brighton had a very unruly family upstairs. Single mum who couldn't control the teenagers any more.

Their kitchen was above my bedroom, it was bare a wood floor as well, so I heard every scrape of the chairs and any conversation. They came back with friends and shrieky teen girls virtually every night.

It was hell for the first week...

Then I found out that their electrical company cut-out fuses were in my cupboard! :-D

Never had a problem with late night noise for more than 5 minutes after that. Who wants to party in a house with 'rolling blackouts'...
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Yeah I'll keep going up there when they annoy me for a few more days at least. They're not having massive parties every night but it's stressing me out because they've just moved in and all I can see in front of me is a year of grief. I own a share of freehold in the block so I have slightly more clout than just another tenant. I think speaking with them again and laying it all out combined with speaking to the other flat owner (their landlord) is the next course of action. I feel really frustrated and it's only been 4 or 5 days but it can't carry on like this. :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Have a word whilst innocently swinging a baseball bat behind you.

There only students they'll be scared f*cking witless and soon shut up.

(Forgot to add the :wink:)
  • As DDD hasn't turned up yet, might I ask, are they fit?

Could you not perhaps suggest a pyjama-party pillow-fight to sort the whole matter out?
  • Wake them up with a cheerful ring of your bike bell every morning as you're leaving for work. Then suggest a trade, they get to have their lazy student lie-ins if they keep the noise down after 10pm.

Actually, more seriously, how about a conciliatory "Look, I know it's freshers week and all that so we're not going to stress this week but going forward you need to put a lid on it." Maybe a bit of understanding whilst it's all new and exciting would be a good long term strategy?
    Black Specialised Sirrus Sport, red Nightvision jacket, orange Hump backpack FCN - 7
    Red and black Specialized Rockhopper Expert MTB
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Wake them up with a cheerful ring of your bike bell every morning as you're leaving for work. Then suggest a trade, they get to have their lazy student lie-ins if they keep the noise down after 10pm.

Actually, more seriously, how about a conciliatory "Look, I know it's freshers week and all that so we're not going to stress this week but going forward you need to put a lid on it." Maybe a bit of understanding whilst it's all new and exciting would be a good long term strategy?

Except if you use "going forward" in a normal conversation I think they're legally obliged to laugh at you, preferably with pointing. :D
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • On top of that, the new next door neighbours are very amorous, and she is a real screamer. We share a divided terrace and with windows/doors open she's so loud we might as well be in her bedroom. On the plus side it's as funny as hell! If they start being noisy late at night, I'm not quite sure how I'd go about confronting them...

Good God, man! You still qualify as a newly wed. You should be comprehensively outgunning them on this front. Not sitting there with your Ovaltine rolling your eyes!

Rarely has MTFU been more appropriate.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    We're straying into dangerous territory here...

besides I tend to take the Assange approach to intercourse.