The Film Review thread ***possible spoilers***

1234568»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532
    Saw Grand Hotel Budapest on the flight over to Dubai.

Generally it's a well put together film. Very stylishly done (like any Wes Anderson, but probably a bit better than his previous efforts), and with a very heavyweight cast.

However... as pretty as it is, and as stylish as it is, it really suffered from that excessive tweeness that the more 'art house' film can suffer from.

The plot moved at a rapid pace, and covered a lot of ground, but, combined with the heavy styling made me feel a little distant from the characters. I never really connected with any of them and didn't really care about much. And that made the plot a little dull.

It felt like a film I should like, rather than a film I do...

6/10.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Thread Resurrection!

So I finally watched The Purge.

I'll be absolutely honest, I've been dreaming for a scenario where one day it (crime) is legal; I have a list of people I have worked with that I would happily end. So I've always been curious about this movie.

Verdict concept great, execution rubbish.

In a world where one day every year all crime is legal and that's your house security system and those are the weapons you choose to protect your family with? Come on. AK47 and a Pitt Bull called "Gunshot" surely?

Also, that kid who let the guy into the house and triggered the events that led his Dad to die? Someone somewhere in that film should have punched him square in the face and I struggle to understand why no one said "Dude, your actions killed your Dad" Because they did!

Generally poorly acted, save for Sarah Conner/Cersi this film left me with enough frustration and a desire to Purge.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Thread Resurrection!

So I finally watched The Purge.

I'll be absolutely honest, I've been dreaming for a scenario where one day it (crime) is legal; I have a list of people I have worked with that I would happily end. So I've always been curious about this movie.

Verdict concept great, execution rubbish.

In a world where one day every year all crime is legal and that's your house security system and those are the weapons you choose to protect your family with? Come on. AK47 and a Pitt Bull called "Gunshot" surely?

Also, that kid who let the guy into the house and triggered the events that led his Dad to die? Someone somewhere in that film should have punched him square in the face and I struggle to understand why no one said "Dude, your actions killed your Dad" Because they did!

Generally poorly acted, save for Sarah Conner/Cersi this film left me with enough frustration and a desire to Purge.

Saw this not long after release. Thought the same; could have been done so much better.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I watched the Headhunter on Netflix last night - based on a Jo Nesbo book and in its original Flobber Nobber (one of the Scandinavian languages) and subtitled.

I loved it. It has a brilliant twisting plot (even though I'd read the book) and was funny in a way that only Scandinavian films of that genre can be (partly because they'll cross lines that Hollywood is reluctant to cross). I saw another a few months ago about a snow plough driver whose son is murdered by a drug gang - again superb.

If you want a cross between Wallender/The Bridge/The Killing and Layer Cake give this a try.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I watched the Headhunter on Netflix last night - based on a Jo Nesbo book and in its original Flobber Nobber (one of the Scandinavian languages) and subtitled.

I loved it. It has a brilliant twisting plot (even though I'd read the book) and was funny in a way that only Scandinavian films of that genre can be (partly because they'll cross lines that Hollywood is reluctant to cross). I saw another a few months ago about a snow plough driver whose son is murdered by a drug gang - again superb.

If you want a cross between Wallender/The Bridge/The Killing and Layer Cake give this a try.

Trying to think of a weird Scandi film I watched recently. Totally bizzare but oddly watchable.

...about an old guy who goes missing from his old peoples home on his birthday, and ends up with a case full of money...

The Hundred year old man who climbed out of his Window and Disappeared. :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    The Hundred year old man who climbed out of his Window and Disappeared. :)
    Read the book, very good. Is the film on Netflix?
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Shaun the Sheep, the Movie. Great.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Jupiter Ascending.

Just don't. Unless you're drunk/ripped to your tîts and have two hours to sober up/come down. It's only redeeming quality is that it answers the question of what is the worst & craziest film that can be made with the most money spent.

If you're in any doubt, see this review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShAeafYCqxk
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I thought it was the good kind of terrible and needs a Whedon type guy to reboot it into something cool.

There hasn't been a good Space Opera for years (Guardians of the Galaxy not included)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Holy thread resurrection...

Watched "The Dressmaker" today with Kate Winslet. Very enjoyable, beautifully filmed too. A few things didn't quite work, but pretty well put together film all round I thought.

Two things of note: she does an amazing job of an Aussie accent, the first non-native actor I've ever heard get it absolutely perfect. Second, go watch it for Judy Davis as her mother, quite exceptional performance.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532
    Halfway through Boyhood, and what a film.