Up at 6am, Jam Sandwich, benchmark and some plotting

2»

Comments

• MrCubeLtd
    MrCubeLtd Posts: 192
    Week 3 started so well.. I went to bed sunday night 8.30pm, took my meds early. Woke up at 5.30am, by 6.30am I was good to go and out the door. Why so early? I am still getting used to clipless and building up my confidence. The less traffic the better.

About 3/4 miles down the road I go over a dip in the road. At the time I thought thats not good and then a few seconds later there is an odd noise and the rear has gone soft all of a sudden. I get off the bike and I have my first ever puncture an an adult rider. The last time I had a puncture I must have been 10yrs old :D

Not good I think. I can't get the Co2 cannisters to work, either I am doing it wrong or they are faulty. I think more likely it is me. I've got a brand new pair of £170 carbon specialized shoes I'm not walking back in them. Plus my roadside recovery is untested. So I took my shoes off and walked back home in my socks, shoes in one hand bike in the other. Now I don't give a sh*t what people think but it must have been an odd sight, early morning rush hour and a cyclist walking down the pavement in socks!

Glad I got home because my 1st ever puncture swap out with a new tube took around 20mins! When I swapped over my MTB tyres it was easy. I really struggled with the road tyres, the presta valve getting it to inflate. But once on I spun the rear wheel up for any wobble and to me (bearing in mind I don't know what I am doing) it looked smooth and no sideway play.

It definitely put me off track as when I eventually did my 5 mile as part of week 3 - it was tuff. Not stamina but mentally my head was all over the shop. Anyway, time to put today behind me and move onto day 2 week 3. Got a 10 miler to do tomorrow.
    I'm pedalling as fast as I can!
  • I'm in the same position as you and have a very similar routine.

To be honest i've never had a puncture before as an adult and the last time I did have one when I was a kid, my grandad fixed it (I'm now 43). I've been riding now for only a week or so on my new bike and like you am leaving early mainly due to fitness, traffic and getting used to the pedals. I guess after hearing your story I should buy something to repair punctures etc and get some practise in, as i've never removed a rear wheel before and am kinda concerned that I would mess all the gearing up for some reason, let alone do it out on the road... Feel for ya having to walk back, I would be gutted to have to do that.
  • MrCubeLtd
    MrCubeLtd Posts: 192
    Glad I'm not alone. Once in the comfort of my home taking the rear wheel off was easy. Maniuplating the tyres with the levers I struggled with, trying to get the track pump to blow up the tube nearly ruined me! As for putting on the rear wheel yep it took a while.

I'm going to look online for how to videos, ie putting a rear wheel back on. I have a real problem with the rear derailure. I definitely need some practise.

I have spare tubes, track pump, levers, Co2 that I can't get to work. Everything necessary but without the know how :D

I just come across this video on youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhlUI9ry2JY

Makes it look so easy! But then I guess it is when you know what you are doing. :D
    I'm pedalling as fast as I can!
  • Yeah but you made it in the end. You need sh1t days like this to appreciate the good ones ;)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul