Component costs UK

boristhespie
boristhespie Posts: 109
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Building my first bike I have noticed HUGE discrepencies between the EU prices for components an the UK's. I guess we are used to the difference between the USA and here but the diference between the UK and the likes of Germany or France for things is plain unacceptable.

Take Shimano. Their prices rose and they cited exchange rates etc as the cause. But when I can buy from a Eiro based country for sometimes upto 50%of the prices offered here and still make hige savings despite adding on postage then things aint as they seem and I can only conclude we in the UK are being ripped off.

I'm trying to buy in UK but prices simply are too expensive next to those I am getting in France and germany.

I note bikes are also dearer bu it's component costs which quite frankly suck.

Comments

• WhipIt
    WhipIt Posts: 52
    It's partly due to the weakness of the Euro, so order from Rose or Bike24 or whoever and make the most of it while you can!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but dont expect the same customer service that you would get in the UK.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    And it's not always packaged, aftermarket product (which isnt really an issue to the end user). There's a lot of grey market Shimano out there which is being offered cheaper.....
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    First world problems.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Actually, for everything I've needed this year, there's been so little difference in prices from the European retailers, and CRC (or even bike shop), that I've just been buying from the usual suspects anyway.
    I'm guessing, based on this, that the Europeans are masters of pricing down goods that they don't shift as often, in order to draw people in - which is great news if you're actually after something they're selling for rock-bottom prices.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Merlin for many parts has been cheaper than Europe.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    FunBus wrote:
    And it's not always packaged, aftermarket product (which isnt really an issue to the end user).

Not an issue unless it goes wrong, lots of folks having issues with warranties when sending forks to Mojo/TF tuned etc. according to guy I chatted to at TF when getting my 'genuine'(non-OEM) revelations serviced.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • supersonic wrote:
    Merlin for many parts has been cheaper than Europe.

Very this.

Merlin and On-one have had some great deals on this year.

In fact, I've found that if anything, the price for components here has dropped significantly vs off-the-shelf bikes the last couple of years (with a couple of notable examples).
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ^^Damned right, Sonic. And it's not even orange, it's red.
    Fools.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    supersonic wrote:

I can't believe they are the same price. Someone really needs to have a word with Orange.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to get your priorities right. Would you really rather have a Canyon if it means being disowned by all your Audi driving friends?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    supersonic wrote:

Which one rides better though? Are Canyon's frames & rear suspension as good as Giant, Santa Cruz, Specialized etc? A Canyon Torque may be half the price of a similarly specced Demo or Glory but you never see Torques at BDS races but there are loads of Demo's Glory's and Scalps (for those like me who can't afford a £5k Glory or Demo).
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    What?

In those links are two bikes, an all mountain Canyon and an Orange 5. You are on about downhill bikes, made by manufacturers who have nothing to do with this comparison, except Canyon.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Which one rides better though? Are Canyon's frames & rear suspension as good as Giant, Santa Cruz, Specialized etc?
    Canyons use precisely the same rear suspension concept as specialized, and quite a few others.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Northern Monkey's build just goes to show what you can build for the money, if you know what you're doing.

Frame, Forks, a Merlin Deore wheels group and £100 quid of finishing bits and you've got a bike. Would make me think twice about buying a new full build.
  • supersonic
    Aye he has a good build there ;-). i bought the whole Rock Lobster for 160 mind, though not quite as good lol.
  • rockmonkeysc
    EH_Rob wrote:
    What?

In those links are two bikes, an all mountain Canyon and an Orange 5. You are on about downhill bikes, made by manufacturers who have nothing to do with this comparison, except Canyon.
    I didn't make my point very well!
    What I meant was that although Canyons DH bike is better specced than a demo or glory and half the price no one uses them for racing at higher levels of competition. That would suggest that the frame isn't great or the geometry is a bit off.
    Could the frame be where Canyon save money and just bolt shiny bits on a cheap frame.
  • supersonic
    The frames are high quality - maybe they are just little known or haven't caught on for DH - they don't appear to have a global DH team like the others. Image is a big part.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Rose and YT are getting more popular, but not Canyon.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Some DH bikes accelerate through turns and over compressions, some feel like they hang up - for example the old Norco A-Line was an aweful DH bike, the Norco Aurum is amazing - so fast (the high end Truax similarly enthusiastic).

Now theoretically the suspension system on the A line and the Aurum is the Spesh FSR system which as Yeehaa says is used on the Canyon too (no expensive licence for those euro types which cuts costs note) but does it work on their bikes like the Aurum or the A Line - if the latter I am out (I am out anyway as I can get a good deal on an aurum if I want one).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad wrote:
    You need to get your priorities right. Would you really rather have a Canyon if it means being disowned by all your Audi driving friends?

1513509be976a7491da813ae0dd266d1.jpg

My mates still like me ..... Mind you I have a stump jumper as well....

:-)

Back on topic,
    I have found a lot of the cheap euro stuff is last years stock, but you can get some really great bargains out there, as for everything shop around, google everything!
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    I've spent the last day trawling google shopping search sh1te trying to find some suitable bargain tyres like a plum.....on one are having a bonanza!
  • Someone said yhe lower price is because the weakness of the euro. All good and well but the importers of Shimano put the prices right up citing the weakness of the pound against the euro. Don't figure. I jist bought rockshox revelarions for 250 quid and was looking at a rear maxle for 15 quid from Germany when compared to 55 quid here. (christ are these thibgs an utter, utter rip off)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Someone said yhe lower price is because the weakness of the euro. All good and well but the importers of Shimano put the prices right up citing the weakness of the pound against the euro. Don't figure.
    The pound is weaker compared to the euro than it used to be, but the euro is still far weaker overall.

What I meant was that although Canyons DH bike is better specced than a demo or glory and half the price no one uses them for racing at higher levels of competition. That would suggest that the frame isn't great or the geometry is a bit off.
    Or it means they don't have a costly team to support, which in turn means lower prices.
    Some bike companies just don't race DH. Marin is one well known brand that actually DOES have a DH bike - which is actually astonishingly good - but they don't have a rider in the world cup. However, I do believe that Marin used to have a rider in the masters class or something, but only in the US(?) series.
    Canyon may well support a smaller scale team in Germany.
  • You miss the point. If the Euro is weaker the the excuse for the price rises (that the pound is weak in relation to the Euro) goe out the window and in fact reverses. Prices have not changed to reflect this.

Incidentally all goods sold in EU through dealers are covered by warranty. These being pan european.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Incidentally all goods sold in EU through dealers are covered by warranty. These being pan european.

Best of British luck to you if you try and take up a warranty claim in Europe. I have experience of it and it just wasnt worth the time and the hassle of chasing the dealer and dealing with another legal system. In Britain things are a lot simpler.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:

Best of British luck to you if you try and take up a warranty claim in Europe. I have experience of it and it just wasnt worth the time and the hassle of chasing the dealer and dealing with another legal system. In Britain things are a lot simpler.

I deal with European companies all the time. Every week in fact. All claims I have had have been sorted very quickly. You can even take the company to the small claims court here if needs be.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Someone said yhe lower price is because the weakness of the euro. All good and well but the importers of Shimano put the prices right up citing the weakness of the pound against the euro. Don't figure.
    The pound is weaker compared to the euro than it used to be, but the euro is still far weaker overall.

Or it means they don't have a costly team to support, which in turn means lower prices.
    Some bike companies just don't race DH. Marin is one well known brand that actually DOES have a DH bike - which is actually astonishingly good - but they don't have a rider in the world cup. However, I do believe that Marin used to have a rider in the masters class or something, but only in the US(?) series.
    Canyon may well support a smaller scale team in Germany.

Marins DH bike is awful. Far too much rear end flex, and too heavy. Racing is not just an expense, it is the best place to develop bikes. My point was nothing to do with factory teams but private racers who buy and run their own bikes, why would they spend £5k on a demo if a better specced canyon is less than half the price unless canyons frame isn't very good.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    As far as I can see Canyon have just stuck a Boxxer on their Torque FRX frame - hardly a proper DH bike

I'd presume that's why you don't see many of them at DH events. There's def more Rose's and YT's around though as they have proper DH rigs in their line up in the Beefcake DH & the Tues.

Back to the original question. It's just a matter of shopping around there's plenty of components that are cheaper from UK suppliers. Merlin's groupsets & forks spring to mind. On-Ones frame deals. And last time I checked the Decathlon Rockriders were cheaper in the UK than they were from the Decathlons over here!..go figure
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8