Food on the go

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I put my ride nosh in a plastic bag tucked in to my right-hand jersey pocket but I always find it a bit of a faff trying to winkle out a piece of flapjack, or malt loaf (bananas are OK :) ). Anyone have a tip to make the nosh more get-at-able? Thanks.
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Tri "box" on the top tube?, I use one in long TT's
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Dont put it in a plastic bag?
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Please tell me if you know how to bring along them jam sandwiches... I always end up with squished sandwiches and sticky fingers! :(
  • wasabi_m
    wasabi_m Posts: 164
    styxd wrote:

How long you riding for?

Anything under four hours and you dont need food.
    Anything over four hours is too long.

If in doubt, stop for a pint.
  • danowat
    wasabi_m wrote:

Not the best advice I've read...........
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ...and I'm not convinced about this either... :)
    wasabi_m wrote:
    Anything over four hours is too long.
  • Peddle Up!
    styxd wrote:

Sticky malt loaf in a jersey pocket next to my sweaty back!? :shock:
  • danowat wrote:
    wasabi_m wrote:

I regularly do 4 hours with just a couple of extra pieces of toast for breakfast beforehand and energy drink to take with me, although I aim for a 16 mph average with that kind of ride so I'm hardly speeding along.

Couple of points: 1) I am trying to loose weight so I only stuff my face during a ride if I really think I need it - I don't mind running 'the tank' toward empty. 2) I used to need a bit of food on much shorter rides, but the more longer rides I do the less I need to shovel in.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Fig rolls: non-sticky, bite sized and if you are not careful, "go faster".
  • dave25
    dave25 Posts: 11
    I hate all this crap about how you shouldnt need to eat if you are out for 4 hours or less. If you get hungry or start feelign a bit queasy, and a flapjack makes you feel better - even if it is just a placebo, what does it matter?

Id rather have something to eat than stand at the side of the road puking.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    It depends how ard you're riding dave. 4 hours at a leisurely pace is fine. 4 hours hammering it, no chance. Get some food down you.
  • iampaulb
    iampaulb Posts: 159
    What about some CNP gels or bars to stick in your jersey pockets. British Cycling members get 40% discount off their products...thats what i do, they nom too! :P
  • dave25
    dave25 Posts: 11
    I think its just a case of everybody is different. Everybody has different fitness levels, different bodies and so on. Eating say once an hour stops me feeling like I am going to puke or going lightheaded, so I do it. Id rather listen to my own body and past experiences.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    edited August 2012
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    I put my ride nosh in a plastic bag tucked in to my right-hand jersey pocket but I always find it a bit of a faff trying to winkle out a piece of flapjack, or malt loaf (bananas are OK :) ). Anyone have a tip to make the nosh more get-at-able? Thanks.
    If you ignore the rest, these boys have it sussed out http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/12/ ... kes_200812

Not going to tackle the BS spewed in this thread. If you need to eat after 2 hours - eat. If you need to eat during 5hr rides - eat.

It's not difficult.
  • danowat
    danowat wrote:
    wasabi_m wrote:

I regularly do 4 hours with just a couple of extra pieces of toast for breakfast beforehand and energy drink to take with me, although I aim for a 16 mph average with that kind of ride so I'm hardly speeding along.

Couple of points: 1) I am trying to loose weight so I only stuff my face during a ride if I really think I need it - I don't mind running 'the tank' toward empty. 2) I used to need a bit of food on much shorter rides, but the more longer rides I do the less I need to shovel in.

So you're not doing it without "food" then are you, in this case it's just liquid "food"
  • danowat
    dave25 wrote:
    I hate all this crap about how you shouldnt need to eat if you are out for 4 hours or less.

Just ignore it, it's mostly macho bullshit
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    danowat wrote:
    dave25 wrote:
    I hate all this crap about how you shouldnt need to eat if you are out for 4 hours or less.

It's the exact opposite of macho really.
  • danowat
    danowat wrote:
    dave25 wrote:

Explain
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    danowat wrote:
    wasabi_m wrote:

I would like to challenge this viewpoint because in a beginners forum it is very dangerous advice indeed and demonstrates a lack of understanding of how the body works. It is generally recognised that for moderate aerobic exercise such as cycling at 16mph for between 60 and 90 minutes the bodies existing carbohydrate fuel stores should be sufficient and you only need to focus on staying hydrated. Anything over that and you very definitely do need to replenish on the hoof and this is why there is so much debate about energy drinks, gels, cake stops etc. You might wish to 'run the tank empty' and get away with it every time and you probably will but you are inviting the possibility of some serious issues such as 'bonking' or even collapse. I know i am sounding a little judgemental and critical but there are plenty of scientific sports papers around that will back me up. I dont think there is any link between eating on a ride and losing weight either. you are only doing it to top up your bodies fuel reserves and get you round safely. (I am a running coach and cycling freak by the way)
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    that daft advice about don't eat doesn't take into account when you last ate and what time of day it is yadda yadda... eat when you first start to feel hungry

try prewrapping in greaseproof paper using masking tape to stick the edge, this makes a little parcel that can be grabbed and the masking tape is easily ripped using finger and teeth
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    danowat wrote:
    danowat wrote:
    dave25 wrote:

Explain
    Only a dumbass would attempt to ride 4hrs+ with little food intake. Not very macho sitting on the roadside post bonk is it?
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    If you don't need to eat after 4 hrs on the bike you must be getting your energy from fat.. and it is possible as long as you keep your effort low relative to your fitness.

So if someone states they don't need to eat anything for 4 hrs when they ride at an average of 16mph, ask them the question whether they need to eat if their average is 18mph or even 20mph.
    Simon
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    im over weight and currently training for the Manchester 100k ride.

being a diabetic i got told to train without food and gels , just water, and electrolites if i wanted..

when i do the race i could have whatever i wanted on the 100k ride to help me get round.

the Doctor i went to see said my body would soon get used to burning fat to give me the energy, i would not feel great but would see the benefit quite quickly.. taking on food during the ride would slow down the weight loss.

the idea to eat what i liked on the ride was to avoid the bonk,, and also to provide the mental boost to help get through the ride..

but ewveryone is an individual so my advice may not be right for everyone,, he did say if i lost 2 stone i wouldnt be classed as diabetic any more and that gave me a massive boost.. already lost over a stone in 6 weeksfollowing this advice so it works for me for upto 2:30 mins training
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Peddle Up!
    danowat wrote:

The thread seems to have drifted off into areas of nutrition, but this looked helpful (to me). Is this the kind of thing you mean?
  • danowat
    Does depend on the type of riding.

I am diabetic, and wouldn't dream of riding 2hrs+ without taking some energy onboard, yes you can teach you body to burn fat as fuel, however, it totally depends on the intensity of the ride as the intesity increases, the fuel used from fat decreases, if you really want to do fasted rides, I'd suggest 2hrs MAX.

I am diabetic, I lost 10 stone, over the space of 18 months, went from being dependant of Metformin, to not need any type of medication.

As for rapid weight loss..........well, it's a well known fact that weight lost rapidly, doesn't stay off.......
    The thread seems to have drifted off into areas of nutrition, but this looked helpful (to me). Is this the kind of thing you mean?

Yes, exactly that :)
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    danowat wrote:

Opps, sorry! Drifting off topic!

I have that Topeak Tri-Bag and it is fine. It does have a tendency to go off centre and you catch your knees on it, but nothing too serious. There is another version of the Topeak - I bumped into someone on a ride who had one... and his does exactly the same.

It's a minor irritation and it's left on the bike regardless of whether it's used or not, so I guess it can't be that bad. But obviously if I found a better one... I'd probably buy it.
    The bag is reasonably big (but not huge.. enough space to hold my mobile, card, keys etc as well as maybe a energy bar and a gel etc.
    If you only put in food, you'd probably get away with maybe ?6? energy bars at a push.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/c/1609/bent ... ts/#page-1
    Simon
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    Peddle Up! wrote:

I just use some tin foil to wrap my stuff in nice and simple and easy to unwrap as your going along
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    murf1480 wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:

I just use some tin foil to wrap my stuff in nice and simple and easy to unwrap as your going along

Me too. I take flapjack out with me. I break it into square inch cubes and wrap loosely in foil. You can quite easily unwrap this. I also find that being able to ride "no hands" helps too (if safe to do so of course :D )
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Apologies from me too... Just get a tad annoyed when people spout rubbish wrapped up as truth

I use a topeak tri-bag and wrap my nibbles in foil
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    edited August 2012
    Mikey23 wrote:
    danowat wrote:
    wasabi_m wrote:

I would like to challenge this viewpoint because in a beginners forum it is very dangerous advice indeed and demonstrates a lack of understanding of how the body works. It is generally recognised that for moderate aerobic exercise such as cycling at 16mph for between 60 and 90 minutes the bodies existing carbohydrate fuel stores should be sufficient and you only need to focus on staying hydrated. Anything over that and you very definitely do need to replenish on the hoof and this is why there is so much debate about energy drinks, gels, cake stops etc. You might wish to 'run the tank empty' and get away with it every time and you probably will but you are inviting the possibility of some serious issues such as 'bonking' or even collapse. I know i am sounding a little judgemental and critical but there are plenty of scientific sports papers around that will back me up. I dont think there is any link between eating on a ride and losing weight either. you are only doing it to top up your bodies fuel reserves and get you round safely. (I am a running coach and cycling freak by the way)

Note I'm not giving anyone any advice, simply saying what works for me. I'm not qualified to give anyone any advice about sports nutrition! If I stuffed my face on a ride perhaps I could go faster, but I did say that I already take energy drink with me on the longer rides ;)

It should be noted that (it is said that) there is a limit to how quickly the body can take on calories, so I think the nutrition for the 36-48 hours prior to a long ride is probably more important than actually on the ride itself. Re: the comment about beginners forum, collapse etc: I simply don't think a beginner should be doing 4+ hour rides.

With respect to the original topic, I find flapjacks a bit too chewy on the bike. Eccles Cake seems to go down okay but are very crumbly. Gels give me a bad stomach. I tried one of those tri-bag things, but my knees kept rubbing against it when standing and I really didn't like the look of it.