Vitamins/supplements?

2»

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Tom Dean wrote:
    I would consider protein shakes a convenience food rather than a supplement.

yeah true if your not eating a lot of protein in your diet.

You can't cook and eat a chicken in the 20 minute window after exercise where protein is most beneficial.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Tom Dean wrote:

You can't cook and eat a chicken in the 20 minute window after exercise where protein is most beneficial.

But you can cook and prepare it beforehand. How long does it take you to eat a portion of food?
  • Tom Dean wrote:

But you can cook and prepare it beforehand. How long does it take you to eat a portion of food?

But will you digest it within the 20 minute window?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    Tom Dean wrote:

I buy 3 or 4 whole cooked chickens at a time (I love chicken but hate cooking) so nearly all the time have it available in the fridge.
    My post ride meal takes 2 minutes to prepare : quarter to half a chicken heated in microwave, served with hot sauce and 2 slices of brown toast with butter and a mug of tea. Lovely!

As far as supplements go, Every morning I take :
    Glucosamine Sulphate - not getting any younger and want to look after my joints
    Multi vitamin
    Milk Thistle - I love alcohol
  • Tom Dean wrote:

But will you digest it within the 20 minute window?

I would be interested to know...
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    A marathon runner of days past, Bill Rodgers I believe, once said "I don't believe that it's necessary to take Vitamin/ Mineral supplements, but I do it anyway just in case". Or something to that effect. FWIW
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    None! Just good old food. As natural & unprocessed as possible. Plenty of organic free range eggs from a local farm too. :wink:
    ^this.
  • DSORBY2 wrote:
    hope this helps and rules out any queries

Not really :? Probably raising more questions than giving answers.

Eg. The Glycogen Window?
  • Sprool
    DSORBY2 wrote:
    All the above are absolute garbage.

Im a qualified nutritionist.

Depending how 'HARD' you go on your bike the different supplements you may need.

Creatine - used by bodybuilders for water retention and recovery
    BCAA amino acids - can be used by road bikers as they are building blocks for protein
    Multi vitamins - its almost a garuntee you wont be using all of the vitamins your body has to offer to have to replace them with tablets, so in turn will just be peeing them out.
    Whey protein - Slow release, good for after a ride ONLY IF YOU NEED IT, or it could be worse than it is good!
    Nitric oxide - Relaxes the thin lining of veins/blood vessels which in turn makes them wider to allow more blood through to the muscles. YOU DO NOT NEED NITRIC OXIDE ON A RIDE!

So my recommendations for a ride would be (which the majority of pro riders use)
    Caffeine - Tablets or a strong black coffee/espresso
    Carbohydrates a few hours before the ride - Wholewheat and brown bread/rice/pasta etc (low G.i count) the more natural the better with all foods!
    Protein - after a ride, few chicken breasts with egg white for protein and a yoke for BCAA aminoes or if your really struggling take a whey protein shake which will help, but only take protein shakes if your going HARD

hope this helps and rules out any queries
    Leaving out shares in Holland and Barrett, you're suggesting a coffee and some scrambled eggs on toast :)
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    You can call yourself a nutritionist without any qualification in the UK, therefore I am one.

The protected term is "dietician" if you seek actual advice and not a TLDR version of a Holland & Barratt catalogue, go to one of them.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Whats wrong with a drink of milk & a bannana for protein etc?

Don't think i would ever consider any dietary supplements unless I was an astronaunt & that was the only food availible on moon base alpha.
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    Whats wrong with a drink of milk & a bannana for protein etc?

Nothing. Except that both are slow release carbs (comparatively) and not ideal with regard to the Glycogen window.
  • Sprool
    This is the Beginner sub forum, is the glycogen window an important consideration for new cyclists looking to do a few miles, or more relevant to highly tuned athletes honing their power capacity for a big event?
  • Sprool wrote:
    This is the Beginner sub forum, is the glycogen window an important consideration for new cyclists looking to do a few miles, or more relevant to highly tuned athletes honing their power capacity for a big event?

It is relevant to anyone who wants to recover from a ride quicker. I can't imagine that anyone, beginner or elite, would want to deliberately slow the recovery process?

As a beginner I went out on a lot of challenging rides and returned with very sore legs. Nothings changed really :D
  • And any excess not needed by the body is excreted through the kidneys and passed out of the body in the urine
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    :roll: Gooogling glycogen window now
  • Sprool
    I'm on a mac, no windows on my computer, does that count?
    I'm a bit sceptical about all this nutrition pseudo-science stuff, I think the subject attracts an awful lot of poor science and bad press - there's a lot of over-generalisations about nutrition when it's a really really complex subject that too many people try to rationalise down to a couple of key issues - an over-simplification that often loses credibility on closer inspection. Behind all that theres the basic good advice about eating a healthy balanced diet, fresh veg and fruit, less processed crap, less salt and sugar, no tech science there, just good sense and restraint, but not something pseudo-science pedlars can make so much money out of...
  • Sprool wrote:
    I'm on a mac, no windows on my computer, does that count?
    I'm a bit sceptical about all this nutrition pseudo-science stuff, I think the subject attracts an awful lot of poor science and bad press - there's a lot of over-generalisations about nutrition when it's a really really complex subject that too many people try to rationalise down to a couple of key issues - an over-simplification that often loses credibility on closer inspection. Behind all that theres the basic good advice about eating a healthy balanced diet, fresh veg and fruit, less processed crap, less salt and sugar, no tech science there, just good sense and restraint, but not something pseudo-science pedlars can make so much money out of...

It is wise to be sceptical sometimes. Especially when reading internet forums. It is not always easy to tell "Pseudu-science" from Science or "pseudo-science pedlars" from sport supplement manufacturers.
    I would recommend that the reader do their own research and draw their own conclusions.
  • DSORBY2 wrote:
    All the above are absolute garbage.

Im a qualified nutritionist.

A dietician?

There's no such thing as a qualified nutritionist.

Edit: Just seen that this has been covered already.
    Move along please. Nothing to see here.