FF, this one is for you: Pro cycling attire don'ts....

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I reckon the worst crime is for a grown man to be wearing matching trade team kit.
    No, the worst crime, by far, is telling other people what they can and can't wear.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Aside from the usual debate regarding WC, team team and national jerseys *yawn*.....

I reckon the worst crime is for a grown man to be wearing matching trade team kit.

A grown man wouldn't do it. Saying that I did see a 14ish stone bloke with a gut in full BMC kit riding a black n red Cervelo round the Docklands area a couple of days ago while visiting London, made me laugh.

He didn't have any selfrecockingspect!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSkVjmRGUaw#t=2m9s
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    No, the worst crime, by far, is telling other people what they can and can't wear.

Oh boo hoo. :P
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited August 2012
    Here are the official rules to what to wear and not to.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Not entirely about clothing, though.
  • rick_chasey
    ThomThom wrote:
    Here are the rules to what to wear not to.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

I don't buy those.

Too American.
  • thomthom
    Rule 5# is great.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Really?

I always think not matching jerseys looks a bit naff.

I do it, but it's not a strong look.

It's one thing wearing Quickstep kit because you either like the team, Boonen or the kit design. Wearing matching kit smacks of dressing up as Tom Boonen.

*IMHO
    ** Quickstep/ Boonen just being a random example.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    TBH, unless you've got an outstanding position on a smart looking bike, with well fitting smart kit, you're always going to look gimpy*

Doubley so if you're walking around in it.

If I want to look cool on the bike, I certainly don't wear lycra.

* assuming you're not a fat bastard. Then you'll always look gimpy.
  • thomthom
    Btw, Castorama not looking cool?!

Tsk, have I never!

pic15904293_1_600.jpg
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    ThomThom wrote:
    Btw, Castorama not looking cool?!

Tsk, have I never!

pic15904293_1_600.jpg

That's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen on a bike. Every aspect of it.
  • thomthom
    What's wrong with balloons on top of your cap?
  • I reckon the worst crime is for a grown man to be wearing matching trade team kit.

Disagree!

20101019_MapeiLABoys.jpg
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    ThomThom wrote:

He looks like Inspector Gadget. :)
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'm torn on the Castorama kit, Fignon wore it so that gives it a few points but it also loses a lot of points for looking dorky.

The fact that it's recognisable and that we are still talking about it 20 years later shows it's a successful design though.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Wow I'd forgotten how bad those Footon kits were! :shock:

I rode past I guy wearing a yellow jersey on the 21st of July this year.....there are some things that you just don't do :D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Milton50 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

He looks like Inspector Gadget. :)
    Go go gadget 60%
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857

Disagree!

20101019_MapeiLABoys.jpg

Where did you get this picture? You need an alibi.
  • mfin
    Really?

It's one thing wearing Quickstep kit because you either like the team, Boonen or the kit design. Wearing matching kit smacks of dressing up as Tom Boonen.

*IMHO

Agreed. Wearing the right gear is normal, wearing the right gear which is also a full team kit is for people who have the equivalent of a 'dressing up box', like a kid dressing up in a Spiderman outfit that they got for a Xmas or B'Day Present and then jumping through doorways making 'pow' noises etc.
  • dortmunder
    dortmunder Posts: 101
    I think there is nothing wrong with wearing trade team kit when out on the bike. It's all about personal preference. I'm happy to pootle around in my shitty brown shorts of AG2R!!! Perhaps it all began when I was riding around in Raleigh Banana gear in the late 80's!!!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Really?

*IMHO

There is absolutely nothing wrong with matching kit. It looks better on the bike which makes you ride faster, feel better and make you more respected by car drivers as well as making more people want to ride.

I have two matching kits - one is a little known French trade team no longer in existence, the other is OPQS as that kit is simply amazing.

20123378-161723-cycling-team-omega-pharma-quick-step-2012.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin

There is absolutely nothing wrong with matching kit. It looks better on the bike which makes you ride faster, feel better and make you more respected by car drivers as well as making more people want to ride.

It doesn't make you ride faster!!! :) what a load of rubbish.

Makes you more respected by car drivers?? :D equal rubbish, what are you on!!

Makes more people want to ride??? ...you think a non-cyclist sees someone riding in full team kit and it measurably inspires them to ride versus seeing someone riding in non-team kit?? :) brilliant!! :)

I know they're only your opinions, the only one that isn't laughable is if you think it makes you ride faster, but if you're applying that to everyone else, well, you're making some weird assumptions there!! :)
    I have two matching kits - one is a little known French trade team no longer in existence, the other is OPQS as that kit is simply amazing.

Aw, you have a dressing up box, that's nice.
  • First rule of sport psychology... if you think it helps, it helps
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mfin
    First rule of sport psychology... if you think it helps, it helps

Dunno about that, sounds good, but far too general to be true!! :)

Its not sport though is it either, ie. you can't race in your favourite fancy dress costume, only train in it, or plain old ponce about.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    mfin wrote:
    First rule of sport psychology... if you think it helps, it helps

Dunno about that, sounds good, but far too general to be true!! :)

Its not sport though is it either, ie. you can't race in your favourite fancy dress costume, only train in it, or plain old ponce about.

Why do you care so much what other people wear? :?
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I'm with Frenchie on this one ... Team kit looks the business ... Maybe best to match the colour of the kit to your bike rather than buy the kit of the team who rides the brand of bike you own, but if it makes you feel good then go for it ...

Dressing up,box ... Absobloodylutely ... Everyone's kit box/bag should be their dressing up box ... You're everyday wardrobe should be a dressing up box unless you work (and live) down a mine ... Road cycling is 50% style, 50% pedal motion, accept it and move on ...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    There's a simple answer to this whole discussion, join a club that has a good looking kit.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    There's a simple answer to this whole discussion, join a club that has a good looking kit.

ERROR

This thread does not compute super serious answers.

I'd like the matching kit. I think the old QS shorts always looked good.

Was always too tight to fork out the cash.

It's a fine line. One the one hand it all matches and that definitely looks better, but then if you're obviously riding like a chump it's not so cool.

I always noticed the bloke in the full Caisse d'epagne kit. Looked smart, but I always noticed he was a little on the slow side.... Some chump in an leopard trek jersey I wouldn't even notice.
  • frenchfighter
    I'm with Frenchie on this one ... Team kit looks the business ... Maybe best to match the colour of the kit to your bike rather than buy the kit of the team who rides the brand of bike you own, but if it makes you feel good then go for it ...

Dressing up,box ... Absobloodylutely ... Everyone's kit box/bag should be their dressing up box ... You're everyday wardrobe should be a dressing up box unless you work (and live) down a mine ... Road cycling is 50% style, 50% pedal motion, accept it and move on ...

LoL.

And yes, you have to try and get the kit to match your bike.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Was always too tight to fork out the cash.

It's a fine line. One the one hand it all matches and that definitely looks better, but then if you're obviously riding like a chump it's not so cool.

I always noticed the bloke in the full Caisse d'epagne kit. Looked smart, but I always noticed he was a little on the slow side.... Some chump in an leopard trek jersey I wouldn't even notice.

The price of kit is totally stupid. Just buy full team kit off ebay from China for 30 pounds. The quality is absolutely fine.

I rode with a guy in Caisse kit once (th old one is super sweet). He was the only one to hold me up Chalkpit Lane.
    Contador is the Greatest