FF, this one is for you: Pro cycling attire don'ts....

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited August 2012 in Pro race
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... ot-to-wear

Though I reckon we could come up with a better list.

#1 missing? USP jersey - especially if they're baggy.

And TBH, I think the festina one has a kind of ironic/cynical take which makes you look like a hardened cycling fan.

Comments

• MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/aug/14/top-six-cycling-team-jerseys-not-to-wear

Though I reckon we could come up with a better list.

#1 missing? USP jersey - especially if they're baggy.

And TBH, I think the festina one has a kind of ironic/cynical take which makes you look like a hardened cycling fan.

Also I thought what if you were a staunch Bassons supporter, you could wear it in quite a nice subversive way.

There are a lot of people on there that think you shouldnt wear team kit. I suppose it doesnt look good with sock/sandal combo. :wink:
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    There should be Linda Mcartney jersey in that list too.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha, have to agree on the jerseys in that article.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I once saw someone riding on the commute with a Festina top and Astana shorts. I had a chuckle.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:
    I once saw someone riding on the commute with a Festina top and Astana shorts. I had a chuckle.

Short stocky guy, shaven legs, quite stacked?
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:

Possibly, possibly.

To be honest I'm normally rubbish at noticing such stuff. I could cycle past my best mate and not recognise...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Possibly, possibly.

To be honest I'm normally rubbish at noticing such stuff. I could cycle past my best mate and not recognise...

Going too fast innit?
  • jonginge
    SCR Race face. Look straight ahead, show no stress. I am tranquillo
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067

Excellent, I have permission to wear mine again, bought back in the late 90s before the Festina affair blew up. I may also wear my Saunier Duval top, again bought before the Ricardo Ricco scandal. I bought a Frank Schleck Lux Champ Leopard Trek top about a month before he got busted. I'm holding off buying any Sky kit for the time-being :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Where do we stand on PDM Jerseys?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Where do we stand on PDM Jerseys?
    One of the classics if you ask me.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111

I agree, I've got a Festina watch (Prutour special edition given away at a stage finish) which I wear with a bit of irony (I'm convinced its got a secret compartment in it for concealing a little 'stash' - just haven't found it yet).

I've also got a pair of T-Mobile bibshorts, but I always wear them underneath longs, pink's not really my colour :oops: :oops:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • To be added...

11141%7C0000041c1%7Ce5a0_WATSON-00001644-688.jpg

Footon2.jpg

Jean+DeLaTour3.JPG
  • rick_chasey
    _00031.jpg
  • See also

Castorama.jpg

and

hushovd08_019g.jpg
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    _00031.jpg
    How dare you.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    what's up with the castorama and footon? is there a doping link or just ugly (the footon jersey makes my eyes bleed)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rick_chasey
    edhornby wrote:
    what's up with the castorama and footon? is there a doping link or just ugly (the footon jersey makes my eyes bleed)

little bit from column a, little bit from column b.
  • edhornby wrote:

The castorama jersey is designed, designed, to look like a hardware store clerk's apron.

The footon one looks like a nude-look body stocking.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    _00031.jpg

Vladimir Karpets should have so raced for that team
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    OK, so are we agreed USP needs to go in there?

We can make our own list.

#1. USP.

Tend to agree with the column about Phonak.

#2 Phonak.

#3?
  • OK, so are we agreed USP needs to go in there?

USP jersey is like Motorola. If you take a photo fo a group of cyclists, there is always at least one person wearing one.
  • rick_chasey
    I'll take that as a yes then...
  • _00031.jpg

Please Prendas, make a "retro" version of this jersey!
  • tailwindhome
    We can make our own list.

Of shirts tainted by drugs?

Astana must be on that list

PDM was just a upset stomach, nothing to see here
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Nah. Jerseys you shouldn't be seen dead in.

The guardian article is, well, guardian, so being associated with doping isn't cool, according to them.

I reckon we feel differently.
  • Oops, I've just read the Guardian article, I thought we were just doing a list of terrible looking jerseys. This is all so complicated. Seems like I now have to worry if the rider who has actually earned the jersey has doped or not! I'm off now to burn the contents of my jersey drawer...
  • Nah. Jerseys you shouldn't be seen dead in.

The guardian article is, well, guardian, so being associated with doping isn't cool, according to them.

I reckon we feel differently.

Oh right, so I can wear my Amgen Tour of California jersey then?
  • tailwindhome
    Aside from the usual debate regarding WC, team team and national jerseys *yawn*.....

I reckon the worst crime is for a grown man to be wearing matching trade team kit.
  • rick_chasey
    Really?

I always think not matching jerseys looks a bit naff.

I do it, but it's not a strong look.