Traffic light fury

2»

Comments

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    It's a London thing - you all need to calm down & chill out!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I quite often hope the upcoming light changes to red so i get a mini breather and a drink :lol:
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Scott Speedster S55
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commute is light on both bikes and lights, however the 2 combined the other day, sat patiently next to a car at the stop line when a cyclists comes up behind and tries to chivvy me through the red light, doesn't know what I'm 'playing at'......his whole attitude was that red lights didn't apply to cyclists, I didn't have the time or the inclination for an argument.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    It's been hinted in one or two postings that R L J'ing for cyclists and getting it wrong it's hello pearly gates. If a motorists it's normally hello garage. Which option would you prefer?

I'm not a London rider but the outcome is still the same.
  • I use the same rules of the road whether riding my bike or driving my car. Mutual respect or so the theory goes. Red lights are there to protect pedestrians and a bike will still hurt someone if you hit a pedestrian.

I'm no saint though as I use headphones sometimes while cycling and have been known to conduct the odd hands free calls while riding, much to the amusement of other people. I do this in the supermarket sometimes too and it looks like I'm talking to myself.

It's a bit like pedestrian crossings though right? How many cyclists and sometimes cars ignore those. It's sometimes a lottery whether U'll make it to the other side. How many times have you felt that rush of air as some jackass decides you are insignificant and puts their foot down narrowly missing you or their kids cause them to get distracted. I'd love to hate on everyone who commits a crime, but every action has a reaction. A million wrongs wont make a right. Just let it go. It's not your problem as it's only going to make you angry.

People are in such a hurry and have so much to think about with their own personal problems that their protective car world bubble often consumes them.

Boo, hoo. They should still respect the law though :roll:
  • JayKay3000 wrote:
    I'm no saint though as I use headphones sometimes while cycling and have been known to conduct the odd hands free calls while riding, much to the amusement of other people. I do this in the supermarket sometimes too and it looks like I'm talking to myself.
    nathanbarley_5.jpg
  • I have to say, it is sometimes (rarely) actually probably safer to RLJ to some extent. There is one particular junction, turning right from BuckPal Road to Pimlico Road where I will usually shuffle past the line and wait in the middle of the junction. I also got pulled by a traffic police car for it a couple of months ago. They were all ready to read the riot act but I explained that waiting here is in fact safer for a cyclist as cars will always catch you at the big pinching apex by the Ebury pub if you don't, and take you out. Fortunately i've completed my IAM and other advanced driving courses so I could talk their language. Once we'd walked up together and I'd shown them what happens during a traffic light phase they actually agreed 'off the record' with me and we went our separate ways.