Canyon owners

toastedone
toastedone Posts: 838
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am looking at ordering a nerve, I am 5'9 and think I need a medium, every time i try and order a medium I have to go through their configuration screen and then it tells me S is out of stock, how the hell do i order a medium.

Comments

• toastedone
    Forget that I worked it out, do any canyon owners think a medium would be ok for someone of 5'9?
  • miguel73
    miguel73 Posts: 28
    Should be ok, I got a small strive and I'm 5" 7', it fits me perfectly
  • toastedone
    The online calculator keeps coming back as a small, but The only small I have ever had was the 456 carbon, everything else has been a medium
  • cubicboy
    cubicboy Posts: 117
    This question comes up every couple of days. There is a massive thread somewhere if you use the search button, in fact there is a similar thread last week. For what it's worth, I'm 6ft and have a Nerve XC in medium. My friend who is 5'10" rode it for a couple of hours recently and felt that it was the perfect size for him too. The general consensus is that they come up big.
  • toastedone
    cubicboy wrote:
    This question comes up every couple of days. There is a massive thread somewhere if you use the search button, in fact there is a similar thread last week. For what it's worth, I'm 6ft and have a Nerve XC in medium. My friend who is 5'10" rode it for a couple of hours recently and felt that it was the perfect size for him too. The general consensus is that they come up big.

I did and always do use the search button, and I have also searched google, the problem I have is there are no more Small frames for 2012, There are some mediums left and I do not really want to make a mistake in ordering a bike to large for me.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Don't order a Canyon then, toddle along to a bike shop, hop on a few bikes and buy the one that's the right size for you. There has to be some disadvantage in ordering from the Germans and this is it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • toastedone
    Bang for buck, the canyons seem to be coming out on top and with there excellent reviews I am tempted, I could wait for the 2013's to come out in September but I am sure with the new there will be bigger prices and I have a £1200 max budget.
  • cubicboy
    cubicboy Posts: 117
    This is the most recent thread – on page three. There is also a link in there to the mega-thread. Your motivation is bang for your buck, so visiting an LBS isn't going to work for you. Unfortunately like most Canyon owners, you're borderline. Good luck... and stick with it.

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12871335
  • There is a 30 day no quibble return policy isn't there?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    It kept coming up with a S (Nerve AM) for me, I got in touch by e-mail and they agreed a M (5'10", 29" inside leg) made more sense. M is great.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    just to throw a spanner in the works,and give you another option http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1866/ ... ml?mfid=52
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    My mates got a medium Nerve AM and it's a tiny ,tiny bit too big for me - I'm 5'7 with a 32" inside leg and fairly short torso/arms. I would guess that you would be fine on it, but probably the most sensible thing is comparing the top tube length with your existing bike.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Sizing depends more on your proportions than height.
    Get to a local bike shop, find a couple bikes which fit and then compare the geometry of those bikes to the Canyon bike.
  • I'm 5ft 9 and i have a medium.
    Its a tiny tiny fraction too large by about half an inch but the reach is perfect. (Canyon make there bikes half a size large than most e.g. 16.5" and 18.5" rather than 16" and 18" so the bikes do generally come up bigger).
    I know it is the right size for me as it still feels great. i've tried a small and my knees were almost banging the handlebar. Bike sizing is as much to do with reach as inseam and i luckily for me have a longer reach.

Get someone to help and take 'accurate' measurements of yourself.
    Canyon do have a 30day return policy.
    He is difficult to get hold off but you can try calling Cullum at Canyon on 0208 501 2582
    Where are you? Cant you see if anyone close to you owns a Canyon you can briefly sit on to double check.

It sounds like Medium will be the right size for you

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    I'd have thought that the 2013 prices will be approx' the same as what the 2012 prices were when they were launched as since the launch they have come down due to the euro/pound exchange rate getting better for us.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    Im 6' 3" and I have a large and it fits perfect. I used the frame calculator and I also looked at the geometry mainly TT length and the seat post measurements of bikes I have sat on that felt comfortable.
  • Huckfinn
    Huckfinn Posts: 142
    chez_m356 wrote:
    just to throw a spanner in the works,and give you another option http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1866/ ... ml?mfid=52

Thats a big spanner too an SID on a £1200 bike bargin, not as nice a frame though IMHO
  • chez_m356
    Huckfinn wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:

Thats a big spanner too an SID on a £1200 bike bargin, not as nice a frame though IMHO
    i agree, looks like canyon have started their sale too,everything reduced apart from the new carbon nerves
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I'm 5'10" and the Medium is perfect
  • I'm just about to order a Canyon AL 6.0 and having done the online calculator, they are recommending me a small 16.5 frame. This seems wrong to me, as I'm 5 10 1/2. In fact, here's my dimensions. Should I just go with the website and order small?

Height 179cm
    Weight 77kg
    Inseam 79cm
    Torso 68cm
    Shoulder width 45cm
    Arm length 61cm
    Canyon Nerve AL 7.0
  • chez_m356
    amigomatt wrote:
    I'm just about to order a Canyon AL 6.0 and having done the online calculator, they are recommending me a small 16.5 frame. This seems wrong to me, as I'm 5 10 1/2. In fact, here's my dimensions. Should I just go with the website and order small?

Height 179cm
    Weight 77kg
    Inseam 79cm
    Torso 68cm
    Shoulder width 45cm
    Arm length 61cm
    mcnultycop wrote:
    It kept coming up with a S (Nerve AM) for me, I got in touch by e-mail and they agreed a M (5'10", 29" inside leg) made more sense. M is great.
    won't hurt to get in touch with canyon uk and ask
  • toastedone
    If you can get hold of them I have phoned multiple times over the past three days and sent 3 emails with no response what so ever, I am thinking of giving my cash to another company.
  • mcnultycop
    OP, I'm only just round the M60 from you. You can try my Medium for size if you want (just sitting on it, not DHing it or anything!)
  • chez_m356
    toastedone wrote:
    If you can get hold of them I have phoned multiple times over the past three days and sent 3 emails with no response what so ever, I am thinking of giving my cash to another company.
    is it so hard to size a bike, you've had bikes previously, you said your RH was perfect for you, so just compare the geo of the different sizes to that, see which comes closest
  • toastedone
    mcnultycop wrote:
    OP, I'm only just round the M60 from you. You can try my Medium for size if you want (just sitting on it, not DHing it or anything!)

Thanks very much for the offer, I have spoken with Canyon today and they have confirmed with my measurements a medium should be well suited to me, so I have now ordered a Nerve XC 7 that will cost me £614.

Thanks for the help
  • toastedone
    chez_m356 wrote:
    toastedone wrote:
    is it so hard to size a bike, you've had bikes previously, you said your RH was perfect for you, so just compare the geo of the different sizes to that, see which comes closest

Yes I agree comparing the geo would do the trick but canyons PPS system kept telling me I needed a S, so after speaking with canyon today they confirmed I actually need a Medium so ordered and awaiting.
  • mcnultycop
    toastedone wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

Thanks very much for the offer, I have spoken with Canyon today and they have confirmed with my measurements a medium should be well suited to me, so I have now ordered a Nerve XC 7 that will cost me £614.

Thanks for the help

No worries, is that a typo on your price?
  • toastedone
    No typo, it is what i pay via m works cyclescheme. 12 months at £51 deducted from my wages
  • mcnultycop
    Nice work. Any final fee?
  • Canyon also got straight back to me and recommended me a medium, despite the website saying small. I feel happier now! I just can't decide which is best, black or white?!?!

https://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbike ... tml?b=2539
    Canyon Nerve AL 7.0