Ahem... underwear?

G.Green
G.Green Posts: 10
edited November 2012 in Road beginners
I've never been quite sure about this, but are you meant to wear underwear with cycling shorts? I quite often get saddle sores, is it because I have an extra layer?

Comments

• mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    The pad is designed to sit against your skin. you can add chamois cream if you wish.Wearing another layer underneath will cause problems. Commando it is.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Commando!

P S Sudocrem is the cyclist's friend :wink:
    'fool'
  • G.Green
    G.Green Posts: 10
    mattshrops wrote:
    The pad is designed to sit against your skin. you can add chamois cream if you wish.Wearing another layer underneath will cause problems. Commando it is.
    Thanks for clearing that up, will look into the cream too
    Commando! P S Sudocrem is the cyclist's friend :wink:
    Yes, definitely a fan of Sudocrem
  • ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    What about base layers such as compression tights?

I don't wear anything under my bibs, but wondered about wearing base layers etc, when it starts getting colder.
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    I dont normally get cold legs just wear tights or leg warmers. but i do wear a base layer t-shirt. usually hands,arms and body feel the cold. Oh yeah , overshoes for the tootsies.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • I have been known to wear silk long johns under padded tights when off-roading in minus temperatures, without problems, but only for a couple of hours.
    On the road roubaix tights or unpadded tights over padded bibs, if really cold and merino baselayer tops.
    +1 for overshoes to keep warm, essential winter wear!
  • Commando!

P S Sudocrem is the cyclist's friend :wink:

This.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    don't wear baselayers just wear over layers
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    nwmlarge wrote:
    Go on. Why not?
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    undies everytime, the more padding the better.
    Good undies and shorts, no sores.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge wrote:
    Go on. Why not?

padded shorts are your base layers essentially don't wear stuff under that unless it is cycling specific without seams in the gusset area.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    nwmlarge wrote:
    nwmlarge wrote:
    Go on. Why not?

padded shorts are your base layers essentially don't wear stuff under that unless it is cycling specific without seams in the gusset area.
    That's nothing like what you originally said.
  • nwmlarge
    so shoot me ?
    apologies i shall go into lengthier replies in future
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    nwmlarge wrote:
    so shoot me ?
    apologies i shall go into lengthier replies in future
    Sorry - this one isn't long enough - please expand on it ...

you can start by saying just how sorry you are and how long you intend to make the replies in the future ... :D
  • nwmlarge
    Dear fellow posters

I’m so very sorry for what happened the other day. You know me: I would never intentionally do something like that if I knew that it would end up being a hurtful situation.

I can’t say what made me do something so silly. Perhaps I just have a very flawed sense of humor or my terrible read of situations. Whatever the cause for my bad behavior, it was inexcusable.

Hopefully, this will be one of things we look back to and laugh. Until then, I’m willing to do everything I can to make it up to you! Please get back to me whenever you have a moment and we can talk about it.

Sincerely,
    Andy
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Commando doffo, and nicely trimmed too......
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • slowbike
    nwmlarge wrote:
    Dear fellow posters

I’m so very sorry for what happened the other day. You know me: I would never intentionally do something like that if I knew that it would end up being a hurtful situation.

I can’t say what made me do something so silly. Perhaps I just have a very flawed sense of humor or my terrible read of situations. Whatever the cause for my bad behavior, it was inexcusable.

Hopefully, this will be one of things we look back to and laugh. Until then, I’m willing to do everything I can to make it up to you! Please get back to me whenever you have a moment and we can talk about it.

Sincerely,
    Andy

Ah - much better...

Anything else you'd like to confess?
  • nwmlarge
    i jumped all but two red lights this morning
  • slowbike
    nwmlarge wrote:
    i jumped all but two red lights this morning
    Were they lying on the ground or was there a ramp up ...
    I can't imagine you managed to bunnyhop a normal traffic light! ;)
  • nwmlarge
    have you seen my recent video "way back home" ?
  • im new to road cycling, i have been using my lycra running shots with underwear and im finding the seams at the side of my scrotum causes a lot of pain on my 25m daily commute. Im going to buy padded cycling shorts but the thought of going commando does not sound very hygienic. :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Why not? Just wash the lycra as if it was underwear.

just in case we're not clear, after every ride/round trip commute.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:

jings that means multiple pairs of shorts, its gonna be an expensive time lol. I cycle 4 days to work so would need a few pairs either that do lots of washing. Do trunk style underwear offer any more comfort as the seams are not up either side of your scrotum :lol:
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    A decent pair of Bib-Shorts + Chamois Cream/Sudocream = Heaven
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    bails87 wrote:

jings that means multiple pairs of shorts, its gonna be an expensive time lol. I cycle 4 days to work so would need a few pairs either that do lots of washing. Do trunk style underwear offer any more comfort as the seams are not up either side of your scrotum :lol:
    Welcome to cycling. A sport with a bigger reign on your wallet than the wife
  • BlakeysFC wrote:
    A decent pair of Bib-Shorts + Chamois Cream/Sudocream = Heaven

whats the difference between wearing bib shorts and cycling shorts? Do you just apply a little cream before each ride ?
  • Welcome to cycling. A sport with a bigger reign on your wallet than the wife

aye it seems so, i thought buy a bike, i did not realise all the gear you require after that. :shock:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    bails87 wrote:

At risk of being pilloried, you don't need to.

I get up, do the coffee breakfast & trip to the loo routine and then shower before cycling to work. Shorts may get a bit sweaty but that's not unhygienicically unclean, just a bit sweaty. The same shorts wil do for 2 sometimes 3 days commuting. No need to buy a pair for every day. And always commando. Any other way is just weird.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I used to wear my shorts for a short commute for a couple of days - but now I rarely do that after finding myself getting a bit uncomfortable downstairs - some itchiness that took a while to sort out.

Now I wear clean shorts every day and rotate through 3 pairs. A small wash during the week doesn't take long to have them all clean.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • CiB wrote:
    At risk of being pilloried, you don't need to.

I get up, do the coffee breakfast & trip to the loo routine and then shower before cycling to work. Shorts may get a bit sweaty but that's not unhygienicically unclean, just a bit sweaty. The same shorts wil do for 2 sometimes 3 days commuting. No need to buy a pair for every day. And always commando. Any other way is just weird.

i wear my lycra running shorts a few times but i wear pants too, im not one for showering in the morning, im not a morning person, im surprised im getting up early to ride to work. I was about to buy bib shorts but what if i need quick pee before i leave, not very handy, i might just order 2 pair of shorts instead. Ill go commando tooo oooer :lol: