enforced "tapering" before an event...

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
I'm probably going to be taking part in a 140km semi-competitive event in 3 weeks time. I feel that my fitness right now is pretty good and I've put in a solid block of riding in the past week at a level slightly above my average for a week. Problem is I have a holiday starting tomorrow for 5 days and then another trip abroad a few days after that, getting back a couple of days before the event. I may be able to get in a couple of rides between the two trips, and on the second trip I will have a bike available and the opportunity to get 2 or 3 rides in, although I'll be quite busy.

What's the minimum I need to do to retain the fitness I have now, and when would be the best times to get long/hard rides in? I know I can sometimes take a few days to fully recover after a series of hard sessions, so while I'll have more time to get rides in nearer the event, I don't want to overdo it in the last few days. I guess what I'd like to do is try to have an extended "taper" without letting the fitness drop due to the length of time involved.

Comments

• Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    I would continue to train as normal when you can. Don't do too much in the couple of days before if you want to be fresh. No need to taper.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Thanks, it's just that I won't be able to do anything for the next 5 or 6 days and the two weeks after that are also going to be a bit chaotic. I'll just have to get the sessions in when I can and hope for the best I suppose. I was just wondering, because I'm effectively being forced to "taper" by external circumstances, if there is any way to make the most of it.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I get it all the time as my work takes me away for periods of 2-5 days almost every week, so I alwaysend up with periods off the bike in the run up to events. I dont usually find it a problem and have only had issues when I stupidly put in a short hard session immediately before the event 'to get the legs going' and then dont get fully recovered from the shock for the day itself - doh!

As said, just get in a session as and when you can. The general principle of last minute training sessions is to reduce the VOLUME but maintain the INTENSITY so maybe do a 1x20 threshold session instead of the usual 2x20 or do a 1 hour tempo instead of the usual 2hr etc. That way you keep the body focused on producing the power levels its used to without overdoing it
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...