Contador On CyclingTips

2»

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Daz555 wrote:
    I'd rather not have any of his drug powered excitement. I wish on him nowt but mediocrity.

:shock: 8) :lol:
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Contador collecting old bikes throughout Vuelta to give to kids in Africa and announces the creation of his youth team in Spain http://www.albertocontadornotebook.info/

Whatever we think of him on the bike, bloke certainly does his fair share off it (and for those who will suggest he's trying to look better following his doping scandal, he's been doing this stuff for years..)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Contador collecting old bikes throughout Vuelta to give to kids in Africa and announces the creation of his youth team in Spain http://www.albertocontadornotebook.info/

Whatever we think of him on the bike, bloke certainly does his fair share off it (and for those who will suggest he's trying to look better following his doping scandal, he's been doing this stuff for years..)

Lance raised a fair amount for charity too
    :wink:

I still haven't made my mind up about Bertie, but I think maybe, in the long term a few 'boring' but clean races might be a price worth paying for the future of the sport.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Yeah he is good like that. Done a lot - which you would hope he would with his money and image, but a lot dont. Sastre also has a good thing going to help people out.

http://albertocontador.org/fundacion-contador/en/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Must admit I don't really like AC's riding either. When he attacks (or did attack in the past), he seemed to catch breakaway guys and get them to share the pace and then try to ride them off his wheel at the finish.
    The normal way is a big GC guy to share the pace with a breakaway rider and then let the small guy to win a stage and the GC rider gets time on his rivals. AC, in the past, wanted everything and was a greedy rider. I think it was Rujano a few years ago got stuffed by AC's antics and on a following stage, when Rujano broke away, AC tried the same thing again and Rujano sat on AC and didn't contribute. AC is a bit of an idiot like this.

Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • LeicesterLad
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Must admit I don't really like AC's riding either. When he attacks (or did attack in the past), he seemed to catch breakaway guys and get them to share the pace and then try to ride them off his wheel at the finish.
    The normal way is a big GC guy to share the pace with a breakaway rider and then let the small guy to win a stage and the GC rider gets time on his rivals. AC, in the past, wanted everything and was a greedy rider. I think it was Rujano a few years ago got stuffed by AC's antics and on a following stage, when Rujano broke away, AC tried the same thing again and Rujano sat on AC and didn't contribute. AC is a bit of an idiot like this.

Jerry

2011 Giro: Contador gifted stage 13 to Rujano and stage 19 to Tiralongo - his first career victory. That's pretty generous.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165

He's been doping for years too.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    jerry3571 wrote:

Jerry

You obviously haven't watched many races with him and are watching the ones you do with a tainted eye.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Charity is a good thing if run correctly, but it can't be taken as a true reflection of someone's character by default though, Ive never believed that. People profit from charities financially and profile-wise, although I know in the majority of cases charity does do a LOT of good of course. Its not a completely reliable indicator of good honest character though...

There was this bloke for example who ran a charity called The Piggy Palace Good Times Society, - to quote: ...registered with the Canadian government in 1996 as a non-profit society intended to "organize, co-ordinate, manage and operate special events, functions, dances, shows and exhibitions on behalf of service organizations, sports organizations and other worthy groups."

His name was Robert Pickton. On February 22, 2002 he was arrested, and a Rifle with a Dildo attached to it was found in his possession and it turned out that he had killed up to 49 victims.

http://murderpedia.org/male.P/p/pickton-robert.htm
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited August 2012
    jerry3571 wrote:

Jerry

Never have I read such rubbish. Absolute nonsense.
  • alanjay
    alanjay Posts: 363
    jerry3571 wrote:

Jerry

You obviously haven't watched many races with him and are watching the ones you do with a tainted eye.

Maybe just maybe take those rose tinted specs off every now and then and see him for what he really is...

Love the whole "other riders love him" approach - mmmm not the ones I've spoken to...
  • jerry3571
    Pretty sure AC couldn't drop Rujano the second time so gave him the stage but I'm pretty sure AC attacked him on the way up even though Rujano was way down on GC.

Tiralongo was a gift from his ex team mate. I guess Tiralongo was his only mate at Astana. I remember AC riding on the Champs Elysée in Yellow and on his todd when LA was at Astana. Very rare to see the Yellow jersey exposed and not protected on the last day in Paris. After AC left Astana he was billy no mates as everyone else went off to Radioshack. Popular guy, ey! Even LA is more popular than AC by the looks of that. :wink:

-Jerry

PS- The top photo shows that your team should be around your GC winner on the last day. Sastre has his Team around him.
    The lower photo shows what I was meaning about the abandoned AC in Paris; not another Astana rider in the shot.

p18-110917-a2.jpg

Alberto+Contador+Le+Tour+2010+Stage+Twenty+8bUFAWCxOQAl.jpg
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • LeicesterLad
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Pretty sure AC couldn't drop Rujano the second time so gave him the stage but I'm pretty sure AC attacked him on the way up even though Rujano was way down on GC.

Tiralongo was a gift from his ex team mate. I guess Tiralongo was his only mate at Astana. I remember AC riding on the Champs Elysée in Yellow and on his todd when LA was at Astana. Very rare to see the Yellow jersey exposed and not protected on the last day in Paris. After AC left Astana he was billy no mates as everyone else went off to Radioshack. Popular guy, ey! Even LA is more popular than AC by the looks of that. :wink:

-Jerry

PS- The top photo shows that your team should be around your GC winner on the last day. Sastre has his Team around him.
    The lower photo shows what I was meaning about the abandoned AC in Paris; not another Astana rider in the shot.

p18-110917-a2.jpg

Alberto+Contador+Le+Tour+2010+Stage+Twenty+8bUFAWCxOQAl.jpg

Just lol'd at that.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Jerry
    I guess you can't please everyone. I don't like him at all, but this is nonsense. In fact I'd say one the reasons I dislike him is the gifting of stages in such an obvious fashion, the Tiralongo one was pitiful. Reminded me of a Badminton match :wink:
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Picking the Astana year strikes me as a poor example.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • dougzz
    Jez mon wrote:
    Picking the Astana year strikes me as a poor example.
    Damn right. That year was one of the few positives (boom boom) I have regarding Bertie. Single minded belligerence to take on the LA machine was magnificent. Come on people, dislike him for the right reasons. His legal bills in the last couple of years could have bought an awful lot of bikes for Africa, had he MTFU and took the ban on the chin.
  • thomthom
    Jerry, if I may ask, how old are you?
  • jerry3571
    41 years. What's that got to do with the price of cheese?

I love the answer that I chose a poor example, that doesn't really cut it does it?? If most of Astana prefered the company of LA at Radioshack rather than moving with AC at Saxo Bank then make of it what you like. Even Tiralongo didn't follow him.

I think my previous answer was fine and dandy, it's just some people here didn't like it.

-jerry.

Ps- As I have said in the past, that Fanboys get hurt, don't let AC do it again.
    Also I was the only one to predict that AC would get busted as soon as he left Bruyneel. I'm still smiling on that one. ;) Happy days!

Enjoying the frisson!

-Jacques Anquetil
  • thomthom
    It was nothing personal, though I did ask about your age as I thought your last two posts made no sense what so ever, a logic I couldn't get.

This fx; The normal way is a big GC guy to share the pace with a breakaway rider and then let the small guy to win a stage and the GC rider gets time on his rivals What.. When.. Normal.. ?
  • dougzz
    But the Astana thing was nothing to do with who they liked. JB had poisoned his own team in an effort to suck up to his boy Lance. Most riders probably thought that JB/LA offered a better chance of future employment than an isolated Bertie, they had years of connections, Trek, Oakley, US sponsors, Bertie was just the better chance of winning. Most of the riders were thinking who's more likely to get me a job, not who do I dislike the least.
  • jerry3571
    edited August 2012
    As I say, make of it what you like. I think the Chain Shipping thing with Shleck junior got me when he won (and then didn't) the Tour by Schlecks misfortune. Riders have got earpeaces so he would have known and he won time by default. The Tour should be respected and raced on the rider's athletic ability and not on a mechanical issue. Wiggins waited for Evans and AC shouldn't be suprised by bad feelings and I can't think of another rider who has been booed on a TDF Podium and in the Giro (can't think what climb this happened).

I think AC is probably an ok person but he keeps making bad choices on the road which make him look like a ****.

jerry

Ps- basic good practice on the road is when a GC rider breaks away and catches a smaller rider (who's only after a stage win) that the two riders ride together on the understanding that the small guy is gifted the stage win. This is in return for the smaller rider to help the GC rider gain the maximum time on his main rivals. The trade is GC rider gains maximum time on his rivals and the obliging small guy gets a good stage victory. AC has worked with smaller break away riders and then screwed the small guy over the finish. This has happened a few times in the past and makes him look bad. I hope that's slightly clearer. :/

-Jacques Anquetil
  • LeicesterLad
    edited August 2012
    jerry3571 wrote:
    As I say, make of it what you like. I think the Chain Shipping thing with Shleck junior got me when he won (and then didn't) the Tour by Schlecks misfortune. Riders have got earpeaces so he would have known and he won time by default. The Tour should be respected and raced on the rider's athletic ability and not on a mechanical issue. Wiggins waited for Evans and AC shouldn't be suprised by bad feelings and I can't think of another rider who has been booed on a TDF Podium and in the Giro (can't think what climb this happened).

I think AC is probably an ok person but he keeps making bad choices on the road which make him look like a ****.

jerry

Chaingate is a fair'ish example of ONE occasion where Contador may have made a bad decision on the road. Chaingate was weird though, it wasn't a mechanical, it was a self inflicted chain-drop from a man who consistently struggles to change gears.

people are right about the Astana thing, has nothing to do with 'like' - that's a ridiculous viewpoint. It was the circumstances of the race. LA bullying everybody into his corner as usual, probably with a load of false promises and fat pay checks. Contador went against the grain and stuck two fingers up at Armstrong. Something i wish more riders would have done but didn't have the backbone too.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Not sure this happens on my club runs?

4dc168a0b1875giro_contador_cafe.jpg
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • dougzz

Chaingate is a fair'ish example of ONE occasion where Contador may have made a bad decision on the road. Chaingate was weird though, it wasn't a mechanical, it was a self inflicted chain-drop from a man who consistently struggles to change gears.

people are right about the Astana thing, has nothing to do with 'like' - that's a ridiculous viewpoint. It was the circumstances of the race. LA bullying everybody into his corner as usual, probably with a load of false promises and fat pay checks. Contador went against the grain and stuck two fingers up at Armstrong. Something i wish more riders would have done but didn't have the backbone too.

I think what was worse than Chaingate was the rubbish youtube apology about it, with the suspect version of events.
  • thomthom
    That was because Riis had JUST signed Alberto and wanted him to apology even if there was nothing to apology for. Alberto felt a bid bad about the situation and asked Riis what exactly to do.

Riis should obviously just have said: "Don't do anything. Not your fault Andy can't change gears."