Your shower routine - shower at home, work or both?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
So, after nearly 5 years of this cycling by bike malarkey I have finally been graced with a staff shower. However, I find I'm still in the habit of showering before I leave the house, commuting to work and then showering again once I'm at work.

Who else does this?

Or do you wake up, jump into your cycling gear, go to work shower, shave and brush your teeth at work? (personally, I would shave and brush my teeth at home and shower at work).

Also, do you shower before you go on the weekend ride?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I don't see the point in having a shower before getting sweaty and having another shower. I just shower at work.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Roll out of bed into cycling stuff, shower and brush teeth at work.
    Wouldn't shower before a weekend ride if leaving at 7-8ish, probably would if leaving much later.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Roll out of bed, Into cycling gear and shower at work.

leave work, shower at home, roll into bed.

Shave and brush teeth at home.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    get up, brush teeth, get on bike, shower and shave at work

feel too rough if I dont brush teeth after getting up
    hate getting sweaty just after I've shaved (too irritating) and in any case shaving is easier after your face has been steamed in the shower
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    rubertoe wrote:

+1
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Why would you ever want to shower at home and then shower again 20 mins later?! Seems utterly pointless! I roll out of bed, brush my teeth, get my cr@p together have a cuppa and then leave. I shower, Shave etc when I get in
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Brush teeth at home, shower at work.
    Shave in the evening when I get home from evening commute, then shower.
    exercise.png
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rubertoe wrote:

+1

you missed this option :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Shower? :?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I roll out of bed and stumble to the kitchen, pour myself a cup of ambition, yawn and stretch and try to come to life.

Then I answer nature's call, clean my teeth, chuck on my kit on and leave.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    bed, dress, cycle, shower, change, work work work, change, cycle, shower, chill, bed
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Weekdays - Wake, breakfast, brush teeth, cycling gear, commute, shower, office clothes: Change into cycling gear, commute, shower, shave. So twice.

Weekend - Wake, breakfast, brush teeth, cycling gear, ride, shower, shave, dress. (No, not that type of dress :wink: ) So once.

"Natural breaks" - as required.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • very short journey to work, so bath before work and thats that.

As others have said rather depends what time the weekend ride started if it was very early probably not, later on probably would have a bath/shower.

My work does not requre or even desire folk to be suited and booted, thus the longer rides for work, hospital/training days mean I'll make sure i'm not smelly but it's causal rather than smart.
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    wake, shave, shower, dress (cycle clothes), ride, change (work clothes), work, change (cycle clothes), ride, change (home clothes), drink (beer).
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    shower before my commute an when i get home

wet wipes in between

our showers have weird an wonder creatures that live in there
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Jump outta bed into cycling kit put out night before..that's it. Get up 5.50am, out on bike by 6. Shower/shave/teeth at work.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    My bottom work desk is like a miniture bathroom with towels, washkit, tooth brush etc.

Always seemed really stupid to shower at home then at work in the morning. Do it all at work. Then rince repeat in the evening.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    Usually only shower when I get in to work, and when I get home (and at weekends obv.), but occasionally I'll have a quick shower before riding in if I'm going straight to a meeting out of the office.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Wake up, cycle to work, shower.
    Cycle home, have a shower when I get home.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Shower when I get home.
  • Since I shaved my head I seem to shower a lot less. Although I'm not sure this is bike related :lol:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Showering is about waking up and starting the day, not just to get rid of a sweaty commute.

Get up, coffee etc, shower, weetabix, hack to work for an hour or so, strip wash in disabled loo, work, then home, shower. Might be an additional shower if we had them on the premises but we don't so it's commandeer the disabled khazi for 10 minutes after initial recovery period.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I might have a shower before I leave in the morning if me and the lady had a particularly sticky night if you get what I mean, but otherwise, no, why would one take a shower before getting on the bike????
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Shower when you get to work and ride 'dirty'. I did it. It felt minging.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I do shower again when I get home in the evening so I'm not that minging in the morning. Usually.
    I don't find I need a pre-bike shower to wake up - the first half-dozen turns of the cranks and the wind in my face do that nicely...
  • rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Mind you, you're all shaved and plucked and whatnot, so perhaps you're a bit hypersensitive about these things.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Mind you, you're all shaved and plucked and whatnot, so perhaps you're a bit hypersensitive about these things.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... op-shaving

Pubic hair removal naturally irritates and inflames the hair follicles left behind, leaving microscopic open wounds. Rather than suffering a comparison to a bristle brush, frequent hair removal is necessary to stay smooth, causing regular irritation of the shaved or waxed area. When that irritation is combined with the warm moist environment of the genitals, it becomes a happy culture medium for some of the nastiest of bacterial pathogens, namely Group A Streptococcus, Staphylococcus aureus and its recently mutated cousin methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). There is an increase in staph boils and abscesses, necessitating incisions to drain the infection, resulting in scarring that can be significant. It is not at all unusual to find pustules and other hair-follicle inflammation papules on shaved genitals.

Additionally, I've seen cellulitis (soft-tissue bacterial infection without abscess) of the scrotum, labia and penis as a result of spread of bacteria from shaving or from sexual contact with strep or staph bacteria from a partner's skin. Some clinicians are finding that freshly shaved pubic areas and genitals are also more vulnerable to herpes infections due to the microscopic wounds being exposed to viruses carried by mouth or genitals. It follows that there may be vulnerability to spread of other STIs as well.

Enjoy that text if you're having your breakfast.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Get up, Pee, Chuck cycling gear on, stumble about crashing into stuff and mumbling getting lunch ready. Cycle the 4 miles to my old dears house who is only 0.5 miles from work and on the way. Wet Wipes and change into work cloths, eat breakfast, brush teeth. Pootle the last 0.5 miles to work.

On the way home, back to the old dears, cycling gear on. If I am going out on a ride that evening I will hold off on the shower till later if not then I will shower and change.

I drop my shirts and trousers off during the weekend ready for the week. Sweeeet setup. Thanks mummykins
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... op-shaving

Pubic hair removal naturally irritates and inflames the hair follicles left behind, leaving microscopic open wounds. Rather than suffering a comparison to a bristle brush, frequent hair removal is necessary to stay smooth, causing regular irritation of the shaved or waxed area. When that irritation is combined with the warm moist environment of the genitals, it becomes a happy culture medium for some of the nastiest of bacterial pathogens, namely Group A Streptococcus, Staphylococcus aureus and its recently mutated cousin methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). There is an increase in staph boils and abscesses, necessitating incisions to drain the infection, resulting in scarring that can be significant. It is not at all unusual to find pustules and other hair-follicle inflammation papules on shaved genitals.

Additionally, I've seen cellulitis (soft-tissue bacterial infection without abscess) of the scrotum, labia and penis as a result of spread of bacteria from shaving or from sexual contact with strep or staph bacteria from a partner's skin. Some clinicians are finding that freshly shaved pubic areas and genitals are also more vulnerable to herpes infections due to the microscopic wounds being exposed to viruses carried by mouth or genitals. It follows that there may be vulnerability to spread of other STIs as well.

Enjoy that text if you're having your breakfast.

I spotted that a week or so back, too.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Wake up
    Brush Teeth
    Cycle to Work
    Shower

Then another shower when I get home.

I don't see the point in wasting 15 minutes of time in the morning with a shower just before you're about to get sweaty on the commute after which you need to have another shower anyway. I'm only getting lycra dirty, and that gets washed every night anyway.