London 2012 - What was the best bit?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
So London 2012 has been brilliant

From the Torch relay to the opening ceremony to the great sporting performance it's been an outstanding success.

What was your best bit?

For me it's not a sporting moment but the interview with Bert Le Clos after his son had beat Phelps in the 200m fly.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Mo's 10.

Beside the sport - there's been a real buzz all around London for the past fornight. It's been a genuinely welcome distraction from seemingly unstoppable grimness atm.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, that whole evening of Ennis, Mo and ermmm, the long jumper all winning was pretty special.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    bails87 wrote:
    Yeah, that whole evening of Ennis, Mo and ermmm, the long jumper all winning was pretty special.
    Greg Rotherford
  • bails87 wrote:
    Greg Rutherford

FTFY

Many highlights... all of the above, but mostly the sheer joy of all those we'd never heard of making good... definitely inspirational...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My son running with the torch!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Hoskins and Copeland winning the Women's Double Sculls. The look of pure shock and happiness made me well up, especially considering one of the only started rowing three years ago on the Sporting Giants programme.

Edit: don't think it was the sculls.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    bails87 wrote:
    Yeah, that whole evening of Ennis, Mo and ermmm, the long jumper

Doogie Howser.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Asprilla wrote:
    Hoskins and Copeland winning the Women's Double Sculls. The look of pure shock and happiness made me well up, especially considering one of the only started rowing three years ago on the Sporting Giants programme.

Edit: don't think it was the sculls.

Plus 1 - lightweight double sculls (can tell because they have two oars each) - and seeing them win it at Park Live in Stratford. Fab!

Sophie+Hosking+and+Katherine+Copeland+
    Faster than a tent.......
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I see Team GB have been asking Rick C for tips on sartorial elegance....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    The track cycling where there was a new world record nearly every time they went on the track.

Alistair Brownlee, Jessica Ennis (especially the hurdles), Mo Farrah and of course Bolt.
  • Is it me or are the mock police kettling the athletes?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rick_chasey
    Red trou FTW.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    One Direction.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Eric Idle

&

bKCUN.gif
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    Eric Idle

&

bKCUN.gif

+1 for eric, quite liking the Queen bit too!

I guess it's an age thing, although i'm a bit disconcerted at seeing Churchill a momnent ago!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Eric Idle "Dad dancing at a wedding". LOL!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    Eric Idle "Dad dancing at a wedding". LOL!

So British though :D
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    For me, Mo's 5k in Hyde Park with 80,000 people, very close 2nd Bradley's TT win in Kingston Hampton Court then cyling some of the route on closed roads afterwards.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    It's all be pretty good. Much to my surprise, it was run really well and went without incident.
    Only bad bits for me were the ceremonies. Parts of the opening were good, but some of it was awful. As for last night!

The sport itself was excellent. Highlights probably Mo's 5 & 10.

If I was being critical, some of it needs updating for Rio. Far too many swimming events, plus the horsey stuff, especially the silly dancing shouldn't be there any more.
    exercise.png
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Gemma-Gibbons-with-silver-medal_2805645.jpg

The bit where she looks up at the sky...

...certainly a lump in the throat moment.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    What was the song (intro) played over the countdown to the closing ceremony?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    What was the song (intro) played over the countdown to the closing ceremony?

I don't know.

I do know however, that the tune they played at the beginning of the opening ceremony with the spark that flew across London was F*ck Buttons (without the asterix) - surf solar.

[/useful post]
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    tricky isn't it? Brad, Mo, Jess, Alastair Brownlee all fabulous.
    I think I might have to go with Jess Ennis and either putting on a show for the fans in the 800m when she knew she had already won or just killing the 100m hurdles. Something just amazing about being the face of the games for the last four years, coming out before we'd won a gold in Athletics and responding to that pressure by absolutely nailing it one event after another. Awesome.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    "THIS IS FOR EVERYONE".

British pride.

All of Team GB, supporters, volunteers etc.

The ORN giving some records on the commute.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    edited August 2012
    Rolf F wrote:
    Plus 1 - lightweight double sculls (can tell because they have two oars each) - and seeing them win it at Park Live in Stratford. Fab!

Sophie+Hosking+and+Katherine+Copeland+

+1 Copeland and Hosking - superb win, superb reaction and great post event interview.

My second moment was for the mens lightweight double (Purchase and hunter) - John Inverdale was practically in tears, emotional moment.
  • rick_chasey
    Guys guys.

Don't need to call it the 'double sculls'.

The 'double' shall suffice.

If it's 2 sweep-oars in a boat, it's a "pair".

So Quad - 4 man scull.

Four - Sweep-oar.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    Difficult to pick a best, but the 800m final was pretty jaw-dropping for me in terms of athletic performance. Ennis's hurdles was good too.

Also, I'm not sure I've seen so many people look quite so genuinely happy (as opposed to just triumphant) to win a medal. Nearly all seemed to be really enjoying themselves.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    THE JAMAICANS

hi-res-150170508_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75
    1st, 2nd and 3rd in the 200m and Bolt would have broken his own World Record had he been fitter (not faster).

4cdc5592a90ef0fdf41293d4d564fa631374670018-1344719071-5026c8df-620x348.jpg
    From a standing start it was almost embarassing the way he accelerated past the USA runner, a guy who ran 9.88 seconds in his 1st 100m heat.

Usain Bolt
    0.jpg
    Arguably the best 100m line up in my living memory. Almost every sprinter had their own story, every sprinter had pedigree and were true sub 10sec sprinters (Asafa Powell injured his thigh and still finished the race in under 12secs). Shit it even had a villain of the piece in Gatling. That Bolt, again with doubters, won so convincingly was amazing but also the fact that he defended one of the most physically demanding and competitive competitions and did so in his own unique way. For me Bolt is one of the greatest living athletes and certainly the greatest sprinter of all time.

Class
    Usain-Bolt-and-Mo-Farah-008.jpg Mo Farah's story is amazing, full stop. However, what I loved - which is something you don't get in football - is the friendships and respect between the different nations, culture and races. Here is a photo of a Jamaican athlete celebrating and paying homage to a British athlete's win. A British athlete, who is also an immigrant Daily Mail readers, doing the same. This Olympics was a marvel of multiculturalism and integration for me.

Loved it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Team GB full stop, they won not just in one event and one event only, they won across varied events and in some we were not supposed to be good at.