Ride London 2013 - BJ's latest masterpiece

Comments

• simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Velonutter wrote:
    I've taken a gamble and donated as somewhere along it, it says that people donating are guaranteed a place, or maybe I read it wrong :? :? :? :mrgreen:

Not guaranteed a place but if you're unsuccessful in the first ballot you will be entered into a second. I've donated as well as I need the karma :)
  • I emailed Ride London regarding payment details for those that did not donate, after several more emails I had the response

"Stuart,
    If you are successful you will be sent details on how to pay in February via email.

RideLondon Team"
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I emailed Ride London regarding payment details for those that did not donate, after several more emails I had the response

"Stuart,
    If you are successful you will be sent details on how to pay in February via email.

RideLondon Team"

Nice one, thanks for clearing it up.

Now just to wait for that email in February!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    No crits for men in the E-4 category. Why they left this out is beyond me.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    As per Southdownswolf - same story. Here's the response i've just had....

"Paul,
    You will only be asked for payment now if you choose to donate your £48 entry fee to The London Marathon Charitable Trust if you are unsuccessful (if you are successful this fee obviously pays for your entry).
    If you do not donate the entry fee then you will be asked to pay the £48 if you are successful in the RideLondon 100 Ballot – you will be notified of this in February.
    Thanks
    RideLondon Team"
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    It all sounds brilliant - it's hopefully the only bit of legacy we get - but it's a start, and could become a really important annual event if they can maintain funding etc.

I've put my name down - though I won't be breaking any records as it takes place only 2 days after the end of London-Edinburgh-London, so I'll be pretty tired!

It should be a brilliant atmosphere and how often do us normal cyclists get the opportunity to ride 100 miles of closed roads here in the UK?
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I've signed up also :)
  • Karlos69
    Karlos69 Posts: 107
    If unsuccessful in securing a place, I can't see it being that difficult to sneak onto the course somewhere.
    I've done it before on the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride because I didn't want to start tapping people up for charity money.
    Cannondale Killer V
    Trek 6500
    Cannondale Bad Boy
    LOOK KG176
    Giant TCR Composite 1
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Karlos69 wrote:
    If unsuccessful in securing a place, I can't see it being that difficult to sneak onto the course somewhere.
    I've done it before on the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride because I didn't want to start tapping people up for charity money.

Loser.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Wirral_paul
    Mouth wrote:
    Karlos69 wrote:

Loser.

Harsh.......but fair. Seriously - doing that sort of thing is pretty widely frowned upon - on any sportive!! :roll:
  • I can't understand why anyone would do that. If you don't get into an event, try another one, or go for a training ride. Don't pretend to be in the race.
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    edited August 2012
    Not quite cricket is it, but K69 brings up an interesting point. Whats to stop folk joining the ride after the start, after all its on a public highway?

P.S. for some reason the quote code doesn't work for me, most odd.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • Meh, think I'd rather go to Flanders for the weekend...
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Mouth wrote:
    Karlos69 wrote:

Loser.

Harsh.......but fair. Seriously - doing that sort of thing is pretty widely frowned upon - on any sportive!! :roll:

Well he is from Yorkshire :wink::lol:
  • Karlos69
    Karlos69 Posts: 107
    Mouth wrote:
    Karlos69 wrote:

Loser.

I don't see what the big deal is
    Cannondale Killer V
    Trek 6500
    Cannondale Bad Boy
    LOOK KG176
    Giant TCR Composite 1
  • Wirral_paul
    Karlos69 wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    Karlos69 wrote:

Loser.

I don't see what the big deal is

So 20,000 people all pay £48 to ride on CLOSED ROADS, you cut in (and so breach the road closure notice) without paying, and you dont see the problem??

Several sportives have almost lost their ability to run thanks to people with an attitude like you!! Rider numbers are limited on the organisers by the local authorities - so if the 55,000 who dont get entries but do apply for a place all pull the same stunt then one thing is sure - No more event next year.

Dont be too surprised if someone runs you into a ditch if you try a stunt like that - or any sympathy off others.

Frankly the term "Loser" is now looking very tame!! :evil: :evil:
  • Wirral_paul
    I also entered the ballot after confirming all the entry details the other day.
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    I've entered the ballot and i have donated my entrance fee if i don't get a place. It felt a good thing to do, i've also put my name down to ride for the asthma charity, not done anything like that before and as i'm asthmatic thought a worthwhile thing to do. I may get great days ride and benefit others at the same time sounds ok to me.
  • Wirral_paul
    jewbs wrote:
    I've entered the ballot and i have donated my entrance fee if i don't get a place. It felt a good thing to do, i've also put my name down to ride for the asthma charity,

Riding for one of their list of charities guarantees you a place Jewbs. 8)
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    jewbs wrote:
    I've entered the ballot and i have donated my entrance fee if i don't get a place. It felt a good thing to do, i've also put my name down to ride for the asthma charity,

That's what I thought Paul, as I'm certain I saw that somewhere, but it only appeared when registering, that was why my Mate and I decided to donate and used their option to donate to breast cancer. :?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    jewbs wrote:
    I've entered the ballot and i have donated my entrance fee if i don't get a place. It felt a good thing to do, i've also put my name down to ride for the asthma charity, not done anything like that before and as i'm asthmatic thought a worthwhile thing to do. I may get great days ride and benefit others at the same time sounds ok to me.

If you want to ride for Asthma UK, then check out the Beach to Beach (Bournemouth to Brigton) ride - I did it this year and it was awesome...!
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    The one concern I have is that 100 miles is a big ride, even for most regular cyclists. This is probably the most high profile mass participation ride in the UK. I wonder how many people will signing up who don't understand the task they have set themselves, not train appropriately, do about 40 miles and then go home! Be a shame if regular riders miss out because of this. I saw they ask some questions about your experience in the sign up so maybe they take this into consideration.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i've signed up for that
    between my commuting and the odd 50miler i'm signed up for already i think i will be ok.
    i was ambitious with my time to complete it in so i'm not stuck in the "fun runners" pack
  • As a relative noob to cycling, I have signed up for the London Ride. But, now I am worrying I have bitten off more than I can chew?

My longest ride out so far has been 55miles, with a half hour stop approximately half way. Average speed on way out was 17mph (according to my Garmin) and 13mph on the way back. Felt absolutely terrible when I got home.

I know I have got a year to train for it, but, I want to be sure that if offered a place, that I am going to be able to finish and not waste a place for another rider.
  • Ridelondon will be producing a training guide and publishing on their site soon according to their tweets.
    May be worth looking into.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    simona75 wrote:
    The one concern I have is that 100 miles is a big ride, even for most regular cyclists. This is probably the most high profile mass participation ride in the UK. I wonder how many people will signing up who don't understand the task they have set themselves, not train appropriately, do about 40 miles and then go home! Be a shame if regular riders miss out because of this. I saw they ask some questions about your experience in the sign up so maybe they take this into consideration.

I do sort of agree - but that's the way it's always going to be unless you introduce qualification. They've asked about experience, but I don't know if that will be taken into account - we'll see (I haven't ridden any of the events they listed, but I am pretty certain I can ride 100 miles :wink: (even 2 days after finishing an 875 mile ride - though, if I get a place, expect to see me at the very back, necking pain killers by the dozen!)).

Anyone who goes out and does some good training, gets up to a decent average speed and can ride, let's say, 75 miles should be in with a good shot of finishing the ride. You just have to want to finish and believe you can - and you will.

I'd be upset to not get a place (though realise that the odds are against getting one) - it sounds like a brilliant event which would be quite an experience.
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    Velonutter wrote:
    jewbs wrote:

That's what I thought Paul, as I'm certain I saw that somewhere, but it only appeared when registering, that was why my Mate and I decided to donate and used their option to donate to breast cancer. :?

I didn't intend to sign up for a charity to guarantee a place, I thought it would still be a ballot anyway. It was as i filled in the forms on the web site and it asked for a donation i thought well why not and then when it went to the charity page and i saw asthma uk listed and again i thought might as well do it for them, bit of a spur of the moment thing. i imagine they will contact me at some point to give me details, i know some of these things you have to get quite a lot of sponsor money which might be difficult for me as i work by myself and nobody likes me but i'll do my best :mrgreen:
  • B.M.R.
    B.M.R. Posts: 72
    I've signed up, agreed to donate my fee, and also have offered to ride for MIND as they helped me a lot a few years ago.
    @CaerlyOsprey, if you managed 55miles now, you'll easily get fit enough for 100 miles next year. There are loads of century plans online, and some of them are "zero to hero" plans and don't take anywhere near as much time as you've got before this ride.

I can't believe someone suggested that if they don't get in they'll ride the course on the day anyway. Considering one of the main purposes is to raise money for charity (The London Marathon Charitable Trust) even if you don't ride for one of the twenty other charities, that's a bit low.
  • Rench88
    Rench88 Posts: 27
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Jeez, someone decides to put something on that looks really good and already there's people complaining! FFS.

This forum recently has just turned into a right moan-fest.

Agree with this. Sounds great to me - a fantastic opportunity to ride some iconic streets with closed roads. Anything that reflects cycling's increased profile in the wake of the Tour/Olympics frenzy is a positive to me.
  • Wirral_paul
    Rench88 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Jeez, someone decides to put something on that looks really good and already there's people complaining! FFS.

This forum recently has just turned into a right moan-fest.

Agree with this. Sounds great to me - a fantastic opportunity to ride some iconic streets with closed roads.

So you didnt read the thread before diving in with a reply then!! The point I was making was due to the lack of clarity on the event website about the rules for the ballot FFS

There'd have been a proper moan-fest on here come February next year if nothing had been said and a few forum members would have registered with the donation of their £48........ to then find out that they weren't even getting an entry!!

Do the sums and your chances of getting a place if donating the £48 to enter the ballot but not signing up for their charities are slim!! Register through the official Sports Tours International site, or sign up for their charities gives guaranteed entry!! With 20,000 places (initially) minus the guaranteed places, and up to 75,000 in the ballot hoping for what could easily be 10,000 remaining places, it doesnt look great does it!!

If you think my original post was "moaning" then i suggest you read the whole thread (and actually get to the posts where the entry regulations are clarified!!). PS i also posted that i entered the ballot!!