Ride London 2013 - BJ's latest masterpiece

Twelly
Twelly Posts: 1,437
edited February 2013 in Road general
So in the wake of our dominance at the velodrome, Boris has announced he is putting on a cycling weekend next year and every year after that with short 'family rides', a pro road race and a 100km free-for-all sportive around the streets of London and Surrey. Kind of like a London Marathon for cyclists.

Looks good, I've signed up.

http://www.ridelondon.co.uk/

Comments

• Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Thanks for the link, just entered the ballot. What a cracking atmosphere this will be, I can imagine carnage at the start though!
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Its not exactly a free for all sportive though at £48 is it? Shame should be good though!
  • Twelly
    Its free. You can choose to pay £48 as a donation and you get a Ride London jersey for your money.

I just signed up for free.
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    Thanks for the heads up Twelly, looks like a fantastic Sportive I must say!

I've now joined the Ballot too, hoping I get in, think it says 20,000 out of 75,000 will get in so a 1/3 chance roughly. Fingers Crossed!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    So its a ballot to get in, and if you click the donate box, you get a jersey but no confirmed entry for that near £50 charity donation!! Sorry but thats a pretty expensive and no doubt very basic cycling jersey for what will probably turn out to be the majority!!

Hardly free then - more a case of buy a cheap jersey for twice its true value and you might get a ride

I was going to sign up and got to page 2 of the registration process before realising the above!! :cry:
  • Beatmaker
    So its a ballot to get in, and if you click the donate box, you get a jersey but no confirmed entry for that near £50 charity donation!! Sorry but thats a pretty expensive and no doubt very basic cycling jersey for what will probably turn out to be the majority!!

Hardly free then - more a case of buy a cheap jersey for twice its true value and you might get a ride

I was going to sign up and got to page 2 of the registration process before realising the above!! :cry:

As already stated above, you don't have to donate the £48 entry fee, you can enter the ballot for free. However if you do donate the entry, of which 100% goes to the charitable trust then you increase your chances of entry and get a jersey, amongst other things. Its a little harsh commenting on the quality of a jersey you've never seen.

Poor Boris, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • Wirral_paul
    Yes you can enter the ballot for free, and if you get a place then its a £48 sportive as thats the entry fee.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Yes you can enter the ballot for free, and if you get a place then its a £48 sportive as thats the entry fee.

That's pretty much how I understand it, getting a top as part of your entry.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Jeez, someone decides to put something on that looks really good and already there's people complaining! FFS.

This forum recently has just turned into a right moan-fest.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Wirral_paul
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Jeez, someone decides to put something on that looks really good and already there's people complaining! FFS.

Clearing up the statement that its free that could lead to misunderstanding and people entering without spotting the donation clause - its clearly not free! If you think thats wrong then frankly i'll have to disagree with you. If I was nearer then i'd pay the £48 as it will be a cracking event - but for me it would get abit too expensive given the £48 entry on top of a hotel.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I entered the ballot. I'm not going to moan about it.. it sounds awesome :D
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    Me too. Don't do a lot of Sportives but to have a chance to do one on closed roads (hopefully) that goes past London landmarks could be quite special.
  • Twelly
    NapoleonD wrote:

Clearing up the statement that its free that could lead to misunderstanding and people entering without spotting the donation clause - its clearly not free! If you think thats wrong then frankly i'll have to disagree with you. If I was nearer then i'd pay the £48 as it will be a cracking event - but for me it would get abit too expensive given the £48 entry on top of a hotel.

Sorry if I have missed something but I have entered the draw and no money has left my pocket. At no point did it tell me that if I do get selected I would have to pay anything. The only time I was asked to pay was if I selected the option to donate and receive a jersey.

As far as I understand it, If my name gets picked then I am riding around London next August for free. If I am wrong, please show me where it says.

To be honest, I would still pay £48 to do it if they do ask me for the entrance fee at some point.

Somehow I don't think they will get 75,000 people wanting to pay nearly £50 to enter a cycle ride so logic tells me that the donation is optional.
  • I've entered the ballot too.
    Have encouraged a mate to do the same.
    1 in 3 chance to have a great day out is pretty good odds.
    Fingers crossed my name gets drawn out
  • Wirral_paul
    edited August 2012
    There seems to be some confusion between events.

First is FreeCycle - an 8 mile loop around London. This appears to be Free Of Charge http://www.ridelondon.co.uk/Events/Freecycle.htm

Theres also the RideLondon100 - which is 20,000 riders and they are allowing 75,000 registrations before closing it. Entry is guaranteed if you ride for a charity but otherwise, its the ballot. Registration page shows the following....

http://www.ridelondon.co.uk/Events/100.htm

"Demand for places is anticipated to be higher than supply. We will inform you if you have been successful in the RideLondon ballot and have an entry no later than 7th Feb 2013. If you are unsuccessful in getting a ballot place and are prepared to donate your entry fee to the London Marathon Charitable Trust, to help encourage sport and recreation in London and areas we organise events, please tick the box below. In doing so, you will receive a limited edition RideLondon Cycle Jersey, be automatically entered in a prize draw for 2 places into Etape de Tour and have a further chance of getting an entry through a second draw, which will allocate a further 1000 places to those who have donated their money."

I wish to donate my entry fee
    Price: £48.00

I do not wish to donate my entry fee

The above are tick boxes and as I read it, if you are selected in the ballot and you had tick the "I do not wish to donate my entry fee" then you arent charged if you dont get entry, but no jersey for the £48 if you do get in. Tick the other and you get a jersey for your £48 but are still in the ballot and chances are probably 1 in 4 given that charity riders are guaranteed.

Terms and Conditions are as follows:-

Please read the terms and conditions carefully, then tick the box below to continue:

In applying to enter the 2013 RideLondon 100 online ballot I agree that:

1. Liability - To the extent permitted by the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, neither London & Surrey Cycling Partnership LLP nor its sponsors or suppliers will be liable for any loss, damage, illness or injury whatsoever directly or indirectly occasioned by or resulting from the negligence, wrongful act or default of London & Surrey Cycling Partnership LLP, its sponsors and suppliers or their respective servants or agents or from any other cause, including any act of God or the physical condition of the competitor.

2. Collection and Use of Information - My personal information (including medical information entered on my race number or collected by event medical staff during or after the Event) can be stored, used and disclosed by London & Surrey Cycling Partnership LLP in connection with the organisation and administration of the Event and for the compilation of statistical information. If I become ill during or after the Event and/or receive medical attention or treatment either from event medical staff, St John Ambulance or any doctor or hospital, I authorise such persons to provide my details (including details of medical treatment) to the Medical Director of London & Surrey Cycling Partnership or others authorised by her/him.

3. I declare that I will abide by the Laws and Rules for competition of British Cycling, that I will be 18 years or over on 4th August 2013, that I will compete by human powered cycle and that my entry is subject to the General Conditions of Entry a copy of which is available HERE.

4. Entries into the 2013 RideLondon 100 are personal to the applicant. They cannot be sold or transferred. Any transferred entry will be void.

5. Multiple completed entries will result in all your entries being disqualified.

6. Your entry fee is non-refundable save if the event is cancelled for a reason which we are insured.

Just trying to be helpful in pointing out that as I read it, ticking the donate option could mean a £48 fee for no ride, but a jersey for you and £48 for the charity (minus costs no doubt). If thats seen as moaning from me then so be it - but better that than seeing other forum members moaning in February when they dont get to ride but have paid the £48.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited August 2012
    http://ibikelondon.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... boris.html
    Has this site got it right?

In January he announces a 35000 rider sportive. Then as the olympic cycling 'legacy' he downscales it to 20,000 riders?

Not really a masterpiece, and at 8 months old it's not even his 'latest' idea!

Edit, not saying the ride itself doesn't sound great. It's just the questionable politics associated with it that I don't like.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    getnoticed wrote:
    I've entered the ballot too.
    Have encouraged a mate to do the same.
    1 in 3 chance to have a great day out is pretty good odds.
    Fingers crossed my name gets drawn out

20k from 75000 is much much closer to 1 in 4?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Mouth wrote:
    20k from 75000 is much much closer to 1 in 4?

Agreed :)
  • Wirral_paul
    I've just emailed the organisers for clarification of the entry fee. General consensus on other forums is that the £48 fee (for those not donating) will be charged to those successful after the ballot.

I'll post the reply up when I hear back from them.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I've just emailed the organisers for clarification of the entry fee. General consensus on other forums is that the £48 fee (for those not donating) will be charged to those successful after the ballot.

This is also my understanding.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Twelly
    Mouth wrote:

This is also my understanding.

Didn't think this would cause such an argument...

Fair enough if it is £48 either way. Website could be clearer I guess. What you are saying does make sense though. I will be paying the entry fee if I do get given a place.
  • I've just stuck my name down.
    Thanks for the heads up TwellySmat
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Wirral_paul
    TwellySmat wrote:

Didn't think this would cause such an argument...

Fair enough if it is £48 either way. Website could be clearer I guess. What you are saying does make sense though. I will be paying the entry fee if I do get given a place.

Not an argument mate - just think clarification of the cost is important for those looking to enter. As you say - the website could be clearer. Information seems to be there - but not all in one place.

However, just found this which clarifies things more..

http://www.ridelondon.co.uk/About/FAQs.htm
  • Beatmaker
    The marathon ballot collects card payment info on registration so they can charge immediately if you are successful in getting a place. It's going to be a huge headache for the organiser to contact those successful in the ballot for payment details afterwards. What a strange way to do it.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Beatmaker wrote:
    The marathon ballot collects card payment info on registration so they can charge immediately if you are successful in getting a place. It's going to be a huge headache for the organiser to contact those successful in the ballot for payment details afterwards. What a strange way to do it.
    I agree with you, but would imagine the marathon has problems with people entering card details and then closing their account in the intervening months.

But definatley the entry is £48 if you get a place. If you opt to have your entry fee donated to charity, and you are not successful, your £48 goes to charity - but they'll have to chase you for it.
  • So how does a Ballot System work then?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Beatmaker
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:
    I agree with you, but would imagine the marathon has problems with people entering card details and then closing their account in the intervening months.

But definatley the entry is £48 if you get a place. If you opt to have your entry fee donated to charity, and you are not successful, your £48 goes to charity - but they'll have to chase you for it.

But that's the strange thing, if you select the donate entry fee option it asks for your card details, and I guess takes the cash immediately.
  • With the marathon system, you enter your card details at the time of entry to ballot. You can choose to donate or not. If you do go on to get a place, but have changed your account details, then the organisers are within their rights to forfeit your place and pass it on to a reserve.
    If you have donated and do not get in, then you will receive that years gift, unless you have changed account details. In which case you will receive nothing and will not be entered into the "unsuccesful" 2nd ballot.

I agree though that the way the Ride London system works seems a bit odd. It will take a huge amount of effort to collect details at a later date. I would imagine that a new online payment system will be set up, whereby you have a set time to confirm your place, else it will be passed on to a reserve.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I've taken a gamble and donated as somewhere along it, it says that people donating are guaranteed a place, or maybe I read it wrong :? :? :? :mrgreen:
  • Twelly
    Velonutter wrote:
    I've taken a gamble and donated as somewhere along it, it says that people donating are guaranteed a place, or maybe I read it wrong :? :? :? :mrgreen:

I don't think guaranteed, if you donate you get the same chance as everyone in the ballot but then you also get entered into a further draw if you don't get a place. Ups your odds but not guaranteed. That's how I read it.