Overshoes

2»

Comments

• +1 for the neoprene Endura. I have 2 pairs, the first is a couple of years old and the only problem with them is the plastic velcro-like fastener doesnt velcro anymore (nothing that a thick rubber band can't cure). The newer ones appear to have addressed the problem by pre-shaping it to naturally close round the calf. They keep my feet dry 99% of the time unless its really coming down...
    Yup. I even use the road ones on mtb shoes - you wear through the kevlar under the toes pretty quick, but they still fit fine. They are quite stretchy so you can get a close fit, and are easy to pull half off - to get your shoes on and off - and so quite easy then to pull back over the shoe the next time you use them. Mtb overshoes with the velcro underneath are crap - they just collect mud grit and grass.

...other stuff.

Use mine with BG SPD Touring shoes on the commute and Shimano R106 road shoes at weekends. The fit of the medium overshoe is excellent on my puny size 42s. Not had any issues with the kevlar wearing on the underside, only with the stitching round the hole fraying due to catching on the corners of the road cleats where I wasn't careful enough pulling them on and off. They don't work quite as well with the road shoes but this is mainly because the shoes have a big slot in the tip of the sole for ventilation and water always gets in there eventually. A piece of duct tape on the inside cures that most of the time.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • I was thinking of getting some of these this year, the winter gloves i bought last fall worked great so i think they're worth giving a shot.
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=17&ID=2192
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    For me the BBB ones are best as they have YKK zips. Overshoes always fail at the zip (IME) and the Endura ones have absolutely sh!te zips, I had 2 pairs, 1 failed within a month! Never again. Always look for decent zips!

Overshoes in general keep you feet dry on shorter rides but if you're out for much more than 30 odd miles, the rain will find a way in, through the bottom or down your ankle...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    iclestu wrote:
    really surprised at the (mostly) negative comments about sealskin socks.

Had mine for 3 winters now. 100% waterproof and warm. really love them. Couldnt be without them in winter.

Sure the shoe gets wet through but your feet themselves stay warm, dry and insulated from the wet shoe so who cares?

I use the same shoes for commuting and normal rides. When it is not raining I would not be wearing the Sealskin socks so yeah it does matter if the shoes are soaking. Also having a soaking pair of shoes that have been sweated in by feet are going to stink and take ages to dry. Plus I cannot imagine it being good for shoes to stay wet constantly.

Toe ends and some overshoes are going to be ordered this weekend.