Overshoes

twist83
twist83 Posts: 761
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
This year I plan to build my Winter wardrobe a bit earlier rather than in the depths of winter.

With the ever increasing amount of rain I feel some overshoes are required. Suggestions from the Hive. Will be using these to commute and also for longer weekend rides.

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    SealSkinz socks work better for me. Less hassle too (pulling on overshoes can be a PITA).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Agent57 wrote:
    SealSkinz socks work better for me.
    Really? I've never actually found that SealSkins keep my feet dry at all. They're just thick, uncomfortable socks that get soggy and retain water.
  • twist83
    Trouble is with the socks is the shoes still end up getting soaked as well which then take an age to dry. Was trying to protect them a little as well.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I plan on supplementing my over shoes with some sealskinz, overshoes are good for keeping my feet warm in the winter (only cheapo planet x ones) but not good at repelling water.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i got endura luminitee this year an they are pants, they have ripped to shreads an basically fell to bits so avoid unless they are given to you free
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Can't get on with overshoes, bit of a faff. When the weather turns horrid I dig my shimano RW80 boots out and they are toasty warm and (except in extreme downpours) dry.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rw80-winter-road-boots/?referid=googwig&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=RTC_shimano&utm_adgroup=MS_Shimano_RW80&utm_term=shimano+rw80+exact&gclid=CPur68Hm17ECFYIu3wod_FoAjA

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    The Planet X neoprene jobbies work for me.
  • twist83
    I dont want to buy another pair of shoes really! Might give the Planet X ones a bash then they seem worth a crack.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Prevention being better than cure, start with mudguards as that stops 90% of the water hitting your feet to start with.

Then BBB tend to be good but Planet X surprisingly durable for the money. Endura ones are made of pasta.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • To all those that say their ones have ripped or fallen apart....is this due to walking with the covers on?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I thought that statistically it only rained two point three times per year on the average commute in the UK? MTFU

....seriously though, I've some cheap neoprene jobbies of t'net for under a tenner. They've done me fine for a couple of years (agree with the PITA comments though).

Regarding Sealclubz I can't understand the idea of getting soaking shoes but your feet staying dry in rubber socks???? My feet are waterproof FFS.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Toe covers. These were my best buys last autumn/winter.
    For the 90% of days when you don't need the full overshoes
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I've used the Sealskinz socks for the last couple of winters. They help with keeping you warm, sure, but they're certainly not waterproof. They're pretty bulky too so you really need to make sure your shoes are a size up. As I've tended to read nothing particularly good about overshoes, there's clearly a gap in the market for something that will actually keep your feet dry and warm. You wouldn't have thought it would be that hard.
  • twist83
    Not really about MTFU I have no issue cycling during rain, cold, wind etc. I do all the time.However if I can my feet a bit warmer and dryer for a small sum it seems like common sense really... No point making yourself more miserable.

If they assist in keeping some of the rain out and a bit warmer they are worth a bash. Got to be better than getting drenched. Might get some toe covers as well. Combined with mudguards they would do for less grotty days and then overshoes for bad days.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    notsoblue wrote:
    Really? I've never actually found that SealSkins keep my feet dry at all. They're just thick, uncomfortable socks that get soggy and retain water.

Maybe I've been lucky. I tend to have my tights over the top of the socks, which might help. I also have mudguards on my commuting bikes, so there isn't too much water coming off the front wheel onto my feet. And maybe the socks are tighter around my calves, so the water finds it harder to flow downwards.

My other problem with overshoes was finding a pair that fitted properly over the top of my shoes (MTB/commuting style) without having to be several sizes too large.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The material my Sealskinz are made from is completely waterproof. I can fill mine with water and they don't leak a drop.

The problem with them is the great big hole in the top. That tends to let water in. But still, you get the wetsuit effect, where the water warms up and your feet stay warm. Whereas normal socks would let the water flow through, taking all your foot-warmth with it. Plus they keep the wind off, which is a massive help.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    To all those that say their ones have ripped or fallen apart....is this due to walking with the covers on?

the rips on mine were both underneath so possibly from walking but i also had holes on the top too?

only thing i though was maybe i have hit a bramble an its dragged across the overshoe?

i quite like wearing overshoes they keep my tootsies toasty an i like to pretend they make me go faster - aerodynamics init
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I bought BBB waterflex overshoes from highonbikes on Ebay. Cost £22 and my feet stay really dry. Only had them a month and they are my first set but seem great so far.

I selected them after searching other threads on this forum. Delivery from highonbikes was fast as well.
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    I've got some Endura neoprene ones which are now 4 years old. The zips are damaged on both of them, but I'm making do as I'm too tight to buy new ones.
    I did have to stitch up some holes on the soles which I created by carelessly walking on them. Since repairing them I've found that if I position them just right when I put them on I can walk on the soles without tearing them up.
    I find my spd shoes take a good 24 hours to dry out once they get soaked, so the overshoes are worthwhile as they keep almost all the water off.
  • mudcow007
    InkZ wrote:
    I bought BBB waterflex overshoes from highonbikes on Ebay. Cost £22 and my feet stay really dry. Only had them a month and they are my first set but seem great so far.

I selected them after searching other threads on this forum. Delivery from highonbikes was fast as well.

highonbikes warehouse is only 20mins away from me so i get most of my bits from there

thoroughly nice chaps too
  • twist83
    Sound quite good for £22 or the Planet X ones. Will have a look tonight. Cheers for all the input people
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    InkZ wrote:

highonbikes warehouse is only 20mins away from me so i get most of my bits from there

thoroughly nice chaps too

I've always had great service from them when buying from their Ebay shop. Might try those BBB ones myself.
  • Buy toe warmers 98% of the time thses are what you need, not the faff of overshoes.

Secdonly mud guards massively cut down the amount of water being thrown at you so make life a lot more enjoyable and will delay that invevitable wet feet feeling.

Finall, cut off the tops of some socks and wear them over the top part of the over shoe, it'll stop water from going down your leg into the overshoe.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • +1 for the neoprene Endura. I have 2 pairs, the first is a couple of years old and the only problem with them is the plastic velcro-like fastener doesnt velcro anymore (nothing that a thick rubber band can't cure). The newer ones appear to have addressed the problem by pre-shaping it to naturally close round the calf. They keep my feet dry 99% of the time unless its really coming down...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    Usually just have a word with myself to MTFU and if that doesnt work.. I've some XXL Pearl Izumi overshoes look awesome but as others say major PITA to get on and largest size still no good for my MTB shoes :?

just cant bring myself to pay 20 squids for socks.. maybe this year, i've been good :roll:
  • Planet x overshoes for commute, zippy endura for longer weekend rides but the zips go after a season. Duct tape round the instep protects from walking damage. Here in Scotland most of the riders i know wear full overshoes from nov to march. Planet x are a very good start for as little as a tenner. As well as keeping you a bit drier they also extend the life of nice shoes and boots.

Ps. Nothing works for me for than an hour in proper winter rain.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    really surprised at the (mostly) negative comments about sealskin socks.

Had mine for 3 winters now. 100% waterproof and warm. really love them. Couldnt be without them in winter.

Sure the shoe gets wet through but your feet themselves stay warm, dry and insulated from the wet shoe so who cares?
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I have Sealskin socks and Endura neoprene overshoes, the socks stay in the box. Had a nine hour ride, half of which was pouring rain, the other half heavy showers, the Lake District lol. My feet and socks were still dry except for the toes where the water had worked its way up from the sole of the shoe. Overshoes are my 'weapon of choice' :)

BTW the rest of me was soaked to the skin!
    The older I get the faster I was
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    InkZ wrote:

I bought BBB speedflex from On One for £17 last year; lasting well with the frequent use that they've had. Bought 46/7 to fit over size 45 skateshoe-style SPD shoes.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    +1 for the neoprene Endura. I have 2 pairs, the first is a couple of years old and the only problem with them is the plastic velcro-like fastener doesnt velcro anymore (nothing that a thick rubber band can't cure). The newer ones appear to have addressed the problem by pre-shaping it to naturally close round the calf. They keep my feet dry 99% of the time unless its really coming down...
    Yup. I even use the road ones on mtb shoes - you wear through the kevlar under the toes pretty quick, but they still fit fine. They are quite stretchy so you can get a close fit, and are easy to pull half off - to get your shoes on and off - and so quite easy then to pull back over the shoe the next time you use them. Mtb overshoes with the velcro underneath are crap - they just collect mud grit and grass.

Neoprene is basically foam rubber. It is also basically all the same between manufacturers. Zips, reflectives and undersides get worn pretty fast on all of them and Endura are about the best I've found for the money. Treat them as a disposable 1-2 winter item and don't expect them to last any longer than any other crappy bit of plastic used to protect something nice.

Avoid rubber coated fabric ones. They perish pretty quickly and become porous rubber coated fabric. Just annoying.

Avoid wonder breathable waterproof fabrics. Funamentally they do not work when wet, because they don't breathe any more. Sealskins are okay but use an outer fabric to corrugate an inner gortex type film. The outer part traps a lot of water and it eventually squeezes through - most likely through the theads holding the garment together. They also don't keep all the road dirt and grit off your shoes.

Avoid BBB overshoes. They buy their neoprene from Cathedral City, as far as I can tell.