Riding on your own???

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tim.s wrote:
    our group rides normally turn into a bit of a potter round with loads of stops.
    My favourite sort of rides.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Bigchris wrote:

I suppose it depends who you are out with. I'm going to give it a go, see how it goes.

Where in Manchester are you?

+1
    We often get up Rivington, feel free to tag along if you are near
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Bigchris wrote:

I suppose it depends who you are out with. I'm going to give it a go, see how it goes.

Where in Manchester are you?

In town at the moment, near hulme.

Compo, I went up to rivington yestaday for the first time and was buzzing, even though I was ill prepared, stomped over moors and got stuck knee deep in a bog. I did find the san Marino though, which I was happy with. Need to get back up there soon with a map :)

I'm up for it though, give us a shout when you are going next or something. Where else do you ride?
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    I ride on my own most of the time at my local trail centre and don't mind it one bit. As I work shifts and my mates work days it's quite hard to get together so I just go off on my own. Always tell the wife where I'm off to just in case and take my mobile but there's always somebody about anyway. When I go off biking on local tracks where normally there's nobody about for days again I let the wife know where I'm off to and what sort of time I should be back. Don't worry about looking strange there's loads of us lonely bikers :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I ride on my own most of the time, I've just dug out a crappy old PAYG nokia specifically for going out on my MTB cuz I'm scared of smashing my iphone and not being able to call any one (that and getting another one would stop me from buying bike stuff). I just take it easy if there's not likely to be anyone along for a while, and make sure I've got a spare tube and stuff, but living on the chase I never need to be far from home anyway.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Bigchris wrote:

I'm up for it though, give us a shout when you are going next or something. Where else do you ride?

Mostly around Rivi if I am just coming from home. However it has been known to actually organise something between us and get to the Peak District, Lakes or the usual close trail centres
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've not been to Rivington yet; I'm in Oldham so tend to go to Lee and Cragg if I get in the car.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Since moving to Welshland I've been out more on my own for a spin, my problem is for me, mountain biking is more of a hobby than a sport in a sense.

When I play sports I get white line fever, I get on a pitch and I turn and get really competitive and a bit fighty, biking I dont get that competitive edge really, I enjoy being out in the countryside having a natter and just enjoying what I'm doing, the social nature is one of the fun elements for me.

More so now though I've found I do enjoy just heading out and crunching some miles and exploring, starting to enjoy a bit more of a trek. I'm not great technically so it suits me that way
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    prawny wrote:
    I ride on my own most of the time, I've just dug out a crappy old PAYG nokia specifically for going out on my MTB cuz I'm scared of smashing my iphone and not being able to call any one (that and getting another one would stop me from buying bike stuff). I just take it easy if there's not likely to be anyone along for a while, and make sure I've got a spare tube and stuff, but living on the chase I never need to be far from home anyway.

So rather than just getting a case for a good phone to protect it (I know people who carry their I phones in little yellow hard shall vault things) you are carrying a sh*t old phone with questionable battery life and flimsy construction? Hmm makes sense.

I had a BIG crash back in 2003 (list of injuries too long for here) was out with club so they got me an ambulance and I managed to call a friend to come pick me up after treatment - I bought a Nokia after that that was dust and shockproof to carry with me when riding - kept using the newer versions of that for years but they dont make similar style these days.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Questionable battery life?
    You realise old Nokias used to last a week or more on a single charge, and had far better signal strength than iPhones, right?
    Pillock.
  • And they could take a battering. I had the old Nokia that used to split top and bottom instead of front and back for the case. You could do anything with that phone and it wouldn't break.

I went out a couple of nights ago by myself just for about 90 minutes and discovered that the woods on camp are actually pretty good for a spot of riding. Quite big as well, but riding on sand isn't too much fun! I'll be going out a lot more now that I know the routes are there. The only downside, it's a signal dead spot so if I do come off and get seriously injured, my only hope is a runner.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I was going to tell you a long story about how when we put the pieces back together a Nokia phone worked after being dropped a very long way but instead I'll just illustrate how strong they are with this:
    nokia-zombie-headsmasher.jpg
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • prawny
    The signal on my iPhone is toss, and the ringer is too quiet (if there's a problem with the kids) and the screen is fragile, I keep it in a case anyway do I couldn't be bothered switching cases maybe 5 times a week and I wouldn't keep it in an otter box at work, don't look right. My Nokia is the £20 evolution of the 8210, is so small it's solid and the keys are splash proof too. It's even got a built in torch.

If it wasn't for the hour long commute I have everyday where I post forums and such I'd probably ditch the iPhone for it!

Also I haven't charged it yet since Saturday. Badass.

It was a bit of a shame I didn't have a camera this morning, there were three stags standing just of the trail looking straight at me, would have been a good pic
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Do you mean the 8310? That was an awesome little phone. Had a couple of those. I really liked the old Nokias, they were really good and reliable - just a shame they didn't develop properly and kept using crappy Symbian. But I digress. I would stop using the iPhone though if it wasn't nice and useful to have internet on the go all the time.
  • prawny
    You're right, the one I have is this one

549092_10150974836866404_549503716_n.jpg

It's basically the same as an 8310 as far as I can tell, just in a sturdier case. Ahh the good old days, didn't make so many spelling mistakes in texts back then either.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    compo wrote:
    Bigchris wrote:

Mostly around Rivi if I am just coming from home. However it has been known to actually organise something between us and get to the Peak District, Lakes or the usual close trail centres

Sweet, give us a nudge when you going out next mate, not going rivi tomorrow by any chance? going to try get down there tomorrow if I can get all my whiz sorted in the morning.
  • Most riders I know use Google Latitude on our phones after a 'friends friend' fell off whilst on own and broke his neck. Only got found as his wife knew his weekday training route. Latitude a bit hit & miss but better than nought . . . .
    M