Riding on your own???

julesreece17
julesreece17 Posts: 70
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Just wondering, how many of you go riding on your own? i.e. go to trail centre's on you own?

I'm getting in to MTB'ing more and more, and starting to get really frustrated with mates pulling out of a ride and then me staying home.

Obviously i go out cycling on my own loads of times, and i cycle to work now and then, but something stops me from going to trail centre's on my own. I live in Swansea, near neath, and so i got loads of quality trail centre's around me that i really want to go out and explore, but it just feels odd thinking of going on my todd.

Am i alone in this, or do loads of you get out there on your own doing it? Im building up the courage, and i think i will go, but just wondered about you lot?

Jules.

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I ride on my own all the time.

Trail centres I would definitely ride alone its not really exploring its a well trodden path and designed with easy riding in mind for the most part - there will always be someone along the trail soon so whateevr your worries (injury, breakdown etc) someone will be able to help you out hopefully.

I'd be more worried out in the wilds but it never stopped me in UK or out here in Canada - take sensible precautions - I used to just carry my mobile and wallet but you can tell someone your intended route and return time for safety.

At the end of the day we are all responsible for ourselves and must take whatever precautions our own self preservation instincts think appropriate but if mine ever stop me riding alone I will sell my bike and buy a coffin and prepare for death.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I have no problem with it, but I am also aware that I am screwed if I have a bad accident. I'll never do anything stupid on a black run if I'm on my own. In the main, someone will probably pass you and stop to help, but on some runs you can go off the side and never be seen.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or find new friends.
    I don't really enjoy riding alone mainly because I like a laugh and a chat.
    Plus take me to hospital when it goes wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:
    Or find new friends.
    I don't really enjoy riding alone mainly because I like a laugh and a chat.
    Plus take me to hospital when it goes wrong.

I wouldn't bother taking you to hospital, just leave you there for the rats at night.

Ride alone quite a bit, nothing wrong with it and I see loads of people ride on their own, why would it be deemed weird? Plus you have tons of good riding right near you, get out there and ride!

Its good to ride with mates though, bit of banter livens it all up and you got someone to race against on the downhills.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I prefer to ride with other people because I like to have a laugh and it's good to get out with mates, but I do ride alone. Mostly places that I know well and aren't too risky. I'd ride trail centres alone if I could drive, there's always people on them. Gnarly natural riding would make me think twice though.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I ride natural trails (not trailcentres) on my own most of the time. It can get a bit tedious sometimes though. I'd rather ride with someone but I don't like constantly waiting for the other rider, so I only do it the odd time.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Just go for it. Know your limits and you'll be fine. You may even meet some new friends to go out with. A lot of triail centres have their fair share of regulars and if you get chatting to them, then off you go...

Even doing the knarly wilderness style stuff is good fun on your own at times :-)

I suppose it depends on what you want to get out the rides.. Being social, fitness, being scared!
  • I'd love to ride with people, however, due to the fact I like to go out very early, and all my friends are farking lazy, I tend to almost always ride alone.

Also, I tend to get stabby.

Absolutely nothing wrong with riding alone. As said above, just make sure you've got enough tools and spares to fix most problems, a charged mobile which is in easy reach but not likely to get smashed to bits in an off. I have also been quite grateful for having one of those little foil blankets (whilst I went into shock waiting for someone to come get me).
  • dont get me wrong, i love riding with a bunch, obviously good laugh. But its just really frustrating when we all arrange to go say saturday morning, your all set then get the txt friday, 'oh, cant make it saturday etc'

I then dont bother going, and thats another weekend missed. Just thinking of getting in the routime of going most saturday mornings, whether the boys can make it or not.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    As much as I enjoy riding wtih mates - and we try to get together at least one day of the weekend, I also ride a lot on my own. Often I fancy a blast at 6am before going to work....generally not too many other takers at that time of day.

Love it though....so peaceful, see lots of wildlife, can train at my own pace....although as the poster above mentions I generally tell the missus of my route and am a little more sensible on the descents than I am when out with the boys. Or more so I WAS more sensible on the descents until Strava came about...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I ride alone quite a lot, my mates don't like riding in the rain!
    Usually I go somewhere where there would be other people walking or cycling to fix me up if I crash badly though I have broke an arm while riding alone and 8 miles from the car, that was a long, painful walk.
    I take less risks when riding alone but my worst accidents have been at low speed while not concentrating
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I ride on my own as a matter of course; I just make sure someone knows where I'm going. None of my mates ride, so I'm stuck with that situation really. I've ridden with a guy off here once, and a couple of other work colleagues, and it was more fun with them - I also pushed myself a bit more. I have had a couple of falls on my own, and I won't go to Lee Quarry unless it is busy, but I try to take it easy.
  • cooldad
    I meet a lot of new people through the Rides forum. Some stick, some don't.
    Like the guy who asked what we do and some idiot who will remain nameless said we go into the woods and take pictures of each other. He never turned up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    dont get me wrong, i love riding with a bunch, obviously good laugh. But its just really frustrating when we all arrange to go say saturday morning, your all set then get the txt friday, 'oh, cant make it saturday etc'

I then dont bother going, and thats another weekend missed. Just thinking of getting in the routime of going most saturday mornings, whether the boys can make it or not.

Sounds like a plan. I find mates with greater family commitments than me (as in any) tend to be too unreliable to bother even asking!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Right, thats it then. Im going this saturday regardless!

I'll send the invite out to the lads, but i'll go whether they can come or not.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I love to go with people, but also ride alone a fair bit, else I'd never get out as often as I do. However having different groups of riding mates helps, I have 3 :p

I have met some great people off the forum and have been on a couple of rides with them, more to come I'm sure. I suppose sometimes you won'tget on but ah well, you can only try them.

When I do ride alone, I generally ride routes that I know. They are natural but not too challenging, and I will conciously take the busier and easier routes. I don't take as many risks alone either, for I know I'll have nobody to help me.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Pretty much always solo I traded company for freedom a long time ago.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I'm getting in to MTB'ing more and more, and starting to get really frustrated with mates pulling out of a ride and then me staying home.
    Now, this may come as a surprise to forum regulars, but I don't actually like people that much :twisted:
    That, combined with far too many instances of people cancelling at the last minute because of crap excuses like their wife going into labour or whatnot (what do I care what her political leanings are?), and I ride alone almost exclusively.

It's sometimes nice to ride with a few mates as a change, but it's definitely the exception, rather than the norm.
  • cooldad
    I ride alone almost exclusively.
    And for that the world is eternally greatful.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    It's not often I can plan a ride but when I do I invite them along, if they make it then good if not then I don't stay at home. Planned rides go ahead regardless of anything else as I've usually took a day off in order to get out. Other times I just head out when I get a few minutes and if they're free sometimes they'll come, most times they wont. Nowt wrong with riding alone.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd rather MTB with folk, because it's more fun, but will happily ride on my tod if necessary. Used to ride Cwmcarn most weeks on my own when I lived in Bristol, I did once get a flat about as far from the car park as possible just as it was getting dark, that was a bit dodgy!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    oodboo wrote:
    It's not often I can plan a ride but when I do I invite them along,
    I have no objections to anyone at all coming along, whether they're a racing snake, or a total newbie - but I won't cancel if they do, I'll still be heading out anyway.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    Not sure if I've posted this here before, but basically the world is made up of introverts and extroverts. The extroverts make more noise though, so the introverts end up thinking that what they prefer is not normal. In fact there are plenty of people who prefer their own company on a ride.

Cheers,

Andy
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I have no objections to anyone at all coming along, whether they're a racing snake, or a total newbie - but I won't cancel if they do, I'll still be heading out anyway.

+1, may change my plans, ride locally, or go on the road or sommat, but if I've planned a ride I still go out!
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I like to ride on my own most of the time be it natural or trail centres as for getting injured just don't really give it much thought if it happens it happens i'll deal with it as best i can if it does.

The main reason i ride alone is because when i do make arrangements for a meet with a group i tend to change my mind at the last minute and don't like letting people down plus i'm a bit selfish and like to do my own thing but if people want to tag along fine but i will do my own thing generally.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    I ride on my own all the time, mainly the lack/existence of bike riding friends. I'm thinking of joining one of the local mountain bike clubs, which would probably be a good way of getting in the mix, but to be truly honest I don't think id enjoy it (the riding) as much as when in on my own. I'm not one for dilly dallying and if I stop its because I really am fooled or I feel like im abusing my body by taking in no energy/water.

I suppose it depends who you are out with. I'm going to give it a go, see how it goes.

Then again, there is alot of positives of group riding..local knowledge, more motivation, help if you split your wig etc etc.
  • cooldad
    We just get consensus on a time and place, and those who make it ride, those who don't don't, and Deadkenny, who lives in a parallel universe arrives late.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I like rising on my. Put on the tunes and just go. I take a phone, and if someone is around I'll let them know roughly where Im going but I often deviate off the planned route, or don't even have a plan.

If something happens, it happens. I'm not that ballsy anyway so I never really try anything really stupid anyway. I've come off once and hit my leg on a rock but that's the worst thing. And I could still ride. I just enjoy getting out on the bike.

Plus my friends are useless. None of my mates in Germany are interested in it. I have one mate in the uk who should be up for something soon but Im not that bothered really.
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    I ride on my own a lot, I don't mind it really. I can push myself quite hard when i'm on my own so I get more out of it. I probably only ride with buddies once or twice a month, our group rides normally turn into a bit of a potter round with loads of stops.

Maybe join a local club and meet a few riding buddies?
    "Didn't hurt"
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Bigchris wrote:

I suppose it depends who you are out with. I'm going to give it a go, see how it goes.

Where in Manchester are you?